Hacking 3DS Hardmod

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are most of these mods using an SD card and that white port (don't know what it's called) instead of a micro USB port and a regular micro usb cable?

The NAND is in eMMC format which is the same as the SD format. That is why we use SD adapters. We moved away from USB ports so no one will plug it in with a standard micro cable and sending 5 volts to the wrong NAND point and frying it. There are some mods that put an SD adapter in the 3DS, but you cannot use the Raspberry Pi to unbrick the BSOD with that mod.

Reactions: Saxer and bowser

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be a really tight fit. You would probably have to cut out a rectangle of plastic in the back shell to fit the reader's PCB.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Do all available options still require that you have a raspberry pi or arduino, or can you now actually plug the SD card into a PC?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that :)

May I ask why a normal PC can't flash the NAND if there is a BSOD?

basically the arduino and raspberry pi allow much more control with the SD interface, allowing you to issue non standard commands to the nand, such as locking and unlocking, there no easy way of doing this with SD card readers, and each specific model would be a separate case as to how much control you can have over issuing low level commands......its unlikely there would be very many card readers that would allow such features.....and i doubt any usb card readers at all would have the required functions

Reactions: Margen67

Me0wTwo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically the arduino and raspberry pi allow much more control with the SD interface, allowing you to issue non standard commands to the nand, such as locking and unlocking, there no easy way of doing this with SD card readers, and each specific model would be a separate case as to how much control you can have over issuing low level commands......its unlikely there would be very many card readers that would allow such features.....and i doubt any usb card readers at all would have the required functions

I see lots of people mention the name "ardunio" in posts I've seen similar to this you've posted, but why would you choose one over the other? It's it mere preference? It'd seem like the raspberry pi, would be a more universal device, I've not really looked into the arduino, but this is all pure speculation on my part.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I see lots of people mention the name "ardunio" in posts I've seen similar to this you've posted, but why would you choose one over the other? It's it mere preference? It'd seem like the raspberry pi, would be a more universal device, I've not really looked into the arduino, but this is all pure speculation on my part.
doesn't really matter which one, but the raspberry pi is nice and easy i have never used a arduino, and i don't think one would have a place outside of unbrick(for me at least) where as the raspberry pi makes a very good little media center with xbmc installed, if you have no reason to own either or your unsure of which one i would say the raspberry pi

Me0wTwo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doesn't really matter which one, but the raspberry pi is nice and easy i have never used a arduino, and i don't think one would have a place outside of unbrick(for me at least) where as the raspberry pi makes a very good little media center with xbmc installed, if you have no reason to own either or your unsure of which one i would say the raspberry pi

Yeah I was looking into Rasberry Pi for PleXmbc also.

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
With mine, I don't use USB, because of the confusion of people plugging it directly in to the PC. With mine you get 2 options on the original 3DS. They look like this:
15356811151_19d29b2236_z.jpg

15311967696_7fcf0c294d_z.jpg

15335004135_e5e61dda4b_z.jpg

I like the look of this! What's the name of the connector you use?

Reactions: Halvorsen

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
The NAND is in eMMC format which is the same as the SD format. That is why we use SD adapters. We moved away from USB ports so no one will plug it in with a standard micro cable and sending 5 volts to the wrong NAND point and frying it. There are some mods that put an SD adapter in the 3DS, but you cannot use the Raspberry Pi to unbrick the BSOD with that mod.

How much would a mod like that cost?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb