ROM Hack Pokemon Liquid Crystal VC RTC Issues on VC Injection

Namesnipe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there's a thread for it, but it's old and the solution doesn't work, so I made a new thread in hopes of finding a solution.

So, a friend told me about Pokemon Liquid Crystal, and I wanted to try it out, so I made a VC Injection of it and downloaded it with the correct save settings [RTC enabled]. I open the game, and it asks me "What time is it?" and it knows its [Day of the Week here] and the time, but it reads the time and is off by 12 hours. For example, Monday Day [if 4:13 AM] or Monday Nite [if 4:13 PM]. Anyone know a solution for this? [I'm gonna use mGBA for now, but I'd prefer to use VC as it's the most accurate way to play these games on 3DS]

Edit : mGBA doesn't work either. The time is completely off, but mGBA itself displays the correct time.

Last edited by Namesnipe,
Reactions: vladashram
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Namesnipe, I tried liquid-crystal-b3.3.00512.gba (16 MB - 6A761D9F) with the latest mGBA v0.7 nightly found here. Time and seasonal pattern seems correct.

You may need to use ctr-no-timeoffset to match the 3DS internal clock to the emulator and game.

Edit - Nvm. Testing from my end reveals the clock set to the original starting time. Minutes and dates do not change.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

DualBladedKirito

The Black Swordsman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there's a thread for it, but it's old and the solution doesn't work, so I made a new thread in hopes of finding a solution.

So, a friend told me about Pokemon Liquid Crystal, and I wanted to try it out, so I made a VC Injection of it and downloaded it with the correct save settings [RTC enabled]. I open the game, and it asks me "What time is it?" and it knows its [Day of the Week here] and the time, but it reads the time and is off by 12 hours. For example, Monday Day [if 4:13 AM] or Monday Nite [if 4:13 PM]. Anyone know a solution for this? [I'm gonna use mGBA for now, but I'd prefer to use VC as it's the most accurate way to play these games on 3DS]

Edit : mGBA doesn't work either. The time is completely off, but mGBA itself displays the correct time.
You have to patch it with an ips file endrift made himself for it to work with mgba. This happens because liquid crystal is a fire red based rom hack. Fire red does not have rtc normally so gba vc injection will never work right with this. But with the mentioned patch mgba will

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Namesnipe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to patch it with an ips file endrift made himself for it to work with mgba. This happens because liquid crystal is a fire red based rom hack. Fire red does not have rtc normally so gba vc injection will never work right with this. But with the mentioned patch mgba will

NSUI does it automatically, that's not the issue.

DualBladedKirito

The Black Swordsman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSUI does it automatically, that's not the issue.
Actually no, it doesn't. it fixes the save file format the game puts out. Im speaking from experience. I made an issue on mgba github about this as well as its forum. And this is the solution that we came up with.Nsui doesn't patch a rom itself.
I added the rtc patch. Dont mind the file name i use it on all firered rom hacks with rtc hacked in

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Btw even with that patch it wont work properly on gba vc. I believe it has something to do with how the 3ds agbfirm works. I believe it would actually require hacking agbfirm which i don't think anyone has tried.

Attachments

• adventure-red-rtc.zip
    484 bytes · Views: 316
Last edited by DualBladedKirito,

Namesnipe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually no, it doesn't. it fixes the save file format the game puts out. Im speaking from experience. I made an issue on mgba github about this as well as its forum. And this is the solution that we came up with.Nsui doesn't patch a rom itself.
I added the rtc patch. Dont mind the file name i use it on all firered rom hacks with rtc hacked in

Btw even with that patch it wont work properly on gba vc. I believe it has something to do with how the 3ds agbfirm works. I believe it would actually require hacking agbfirm which i don't think anyone has tried.
Alright, but why does it read the RTC wrong? How would this patch fix it on mGBA?

DualBladedKirito

The Black Swordsman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, but why does it read the RTC wrong? How would this patch fix it on mGBA?
Im not entirely sure but this is what endrift the developer of mgba told me : "
Ok, so I made some accuracy improvements to the RTC code--turns out it was buggy. But it's still not working because the RTC code in the FireRed ROM hacks is busted too--it doesn't adjust the GPIO pin direction properly meaning it wouldn't work on a real cartridge. The ROM hacks need to be updated."
He then sent me that patch to be applied to a fire red rom hack and that fixed them to work on mgba.
What i gather is that the way they (the rom hackers) implemented rtc in fire red is implemented in a way that would not work on a gba cartridge. Mgba is being developed to be as accurate as possible and GBA vc is working exactly like a gba cart

Last edited by DualBladedKirito,

Namesnipe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I made some accuracy improvements to the RTC code--turns out it was buggy. But it's still not working because the RTC code in the FireRed ROM hacks is busted too--it doesn't adjust the GPIO pin direction properly meaning it wouldn't work on a real cartridge. The ROM hacks need to be updated."
He then sent me that patch to be applied to a fire red rom hack and that fixed them to work on mgba.
What i gather is that the way they (the rom hackers) implemented rtc in fire red is implemented in a way that would not work on a gba cartridge. Mgba is being developed to be as accurate as possible and GBA vc is working exactly like a gba cart
Oh, alright.

Yeah, doesn't work. It still displays the incorrect time. It displays it as Thursday Night, 22:105 minutes. mGBA displays the correct time, yet the ROM doesn't.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done that. Doesn't work.

GBA VC injecting Pokemon - Liquid Crystal with working RTC for the 3DS.

1. Download the PKMNLC-3.3.00512.ips patch found here.​

2. Acquire a copy of Pokemon - Fire Red Version.gba (16 MB - CRC32 hash: DD88761C).
  • For more information about this game, see Advane Scene GBA rom release (1618).
  • There was Rev A re-release of this game (CRC32 hash: 84EE4776). You don't want this version (1674).
  • If you need help hash checking files, archive your files with WinRAR. Look under the CRC32 column on the right.
  • PKMN-LC-stuff.png

3 (Optional). You can pre-patch the *.gba rom with the *.ips file using Lunar IPS. Check in the Download File Now.
  • This is if you want to verify you're outputting the romhack with the correct CRC32 hash: 6A761D9F
  • You can skip this step 3 if you want to combine IPS patching and GBA Virtual Console injection in step 4.

4. Using New Super Ultimate Injector Beta 27 under the GBA VC settings:
  • Project → Load ROM...: Pokemon - Fire Red Version.gba
  • Apply an IPS patch before injecting: PKMNLC-3.3.00512.ips
  • ROM Save type: Flash 1Mbit (Macronix, ID: 0x09C2) + RTC
    • If you do not choose the RTC option, the game's clock will not work.
  • The Liquid Crystal box art was found in Google image search.
  • The title screen cover art was obtained with a screenshot in a desktop GBA emulator.
  • Other game settings are preferential or arbitrary.
  • NSUI-PKMN-LC.png

If doing everything as described still doesn't allow you to play this romhack with a working real time clock, your problem lies with the 3DS custom firmware itself.

Try the game on a spare SD card with a test CFW setup.
1. Take a spare SD card and copy everything off it onto a computer.

2. Reformat the card as FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Window Files Explorer or guiformat.

3. Check the empty card for in a Full Write + Verify Test with H2testw.

4. If the card passes the test, delete the *.h2w test files.
  • If an error was reported, you may stop the test. Your card is either fake or faulty.
  • Replace this card and go back to step 1 or 2. A bad card is not hardware fixable.

5. Build a test custom firmware setup. You may cheat a little using the archive found here.
  • Use the baseline settings in Luma3DS v9.1 configuration as seen in that post. A certain ARM11 option shouldn't be selected.
  • If you were on Luma3DS v7.0.5 or older (arm9loaderhax), you need to instead follow this upgrade guide: A9LH to B9S

6. Install the Pokemon - Liquid Crystal GBA VC *.cia and try the game again. Success or no?
  • If this game works on the test card but somehow not on your main card, repeat the process for your main card with the inclusion of adding all your stuff back on it.
If that last section STILL doesn't work.
I'm going to conclude your AGB_FIRM (GBA mode) or some other part your custom firmware borked.

You will need to...
  1. Backup all your games, DLCs, and updates as *.cia.
  2. Backup all your game saves + extdata with either Checkpoint or JKSM.
  3. After the backups, restore your SysNAND if you have that image saved somewher
  4. Reinstall all your titles, and restore the game progresses.
  5. Cross your fingers, and check Pokemon - Liquid Crystal again.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

vladashram

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any luck with this? I am having the same issue(same romhack) and it's driving me insane. I am stuck on the AM hours only, as it doesn't seem to recognize the 24 hour time.

Reactions: Namesnipe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...