Hacking 3DS Hardmod

OsemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Basically, method is the same for all 3DS. The only difference is the pinout.

This link give all the pinouts versions : http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware#NAND_pinout

In your situation, here's the one you need (New 3DS XL) :

N3DSXLeMMC.jpg

Basically, it's just to solder a 4-pins cable to the 3DS (DAT0, CMD, CLK and the ground) and the other part depend of your choice.

Some peoples sold a SD Card Reader directly to the cable, some others add a port to the 3DS, and then do a separate cable.

Here's a video :

It's for the 3DS XL but the method is the same.

And the second part :

This one talks about the dumping/writing nand part.

Thanks for that explanation.

Question 1:
There's 4 CLK points. Are all 4 points referring to the CLK? Do i get to choose any one point to solder the wire?

Question 2:
Whats the best route (least invasive) to place the female adapter? What tools do people use to cut the shell?

Question 3:
My soldering skill is a bit hit and miss. I always have problem with pointy alloy leftover when pulling off the soldering iron
How to avoid having pointy leftover when soldering at points especially with smaller points?
My technique: 1) Apply flux on board 2) Heat and apply a bit of alloy to the soldering tip and wire tip 3) solder the point

Can anyone attach some pictures of final result on N3DS XL hardmod just before shell closure. want to see the position of the wires, and female adapter. please =)

Dr.Mundo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for that explanation.

Question 1:
There's 4 CLK points. Are all 4 points referring to the CLK? Do i get to choose any one point to solder the wire?

Question 2:
Whats the best route (least invasive) to place the female adapter? What tools do people use to cut the shell?

Question 3:
My soldering skill is a bit hit and miss. I always have problem with pointy alloy leftover when pulling off the soldering iron
How to avoid having pointy leftover when soldering at points especially with smaller points?
My technique: 1) Apply flux on board 2) Heat and apply a bit of alloy to the soldering tip and wire tip 3) solder the point

Can anyone attach some pictures of final result on N3DS XL hardmod just before shell closure. want to see the position of the wires, and female adapter. please =)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-nand-backup-possible-i-hope.381506/page-13

This thread might help I suppose?

and for question 2 I saw a guy using a heated scalpel to melt the plastic

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
Where is the best place for a connector? I am thinking of hard modding my 9.0 n3ds xl to make sure I can revert to 9.0 whenever I need to. I am ideally looking at having it under the battery cover so it is discrete. Any suggestions?

eXpired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3DS XL is bricked... turning it on shows blue led, but no screen activity whatsoever. I was planning on doing the SD card mod to reflash a backed up NAND, but am I reading this right that I'll need to use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino instead?

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
You can find all the installation diagrams for 3DS/3DS XL and New 3DS/3DS XL from my signature.

If some people want to send me their console for perfect installation, it's a service I offer too.

How do you make such a nice cut into the case?

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by milerwan,

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My 3DS XL is bricked... turning it on shows blue led, but no screen activity whatsoever. I was planning on doing the SD card mod to reflash a backed up NAND, but am I reading this right that I'll need to use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino instead?
No, afaik the raspberry pi thing was only really relevant to the great Brickway scandal of yore. The sd adapter mod should be what you need.

Reactions: eXpired

eXpired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm an idiot. I rarely solder and thought this hardmod looked easy enough on the 3DS XL, so I attempted it myself. I lifted one of the solder pads on the board. Am I now completely hosed, or is there another way to do this? An alternate point maybe?

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
So I'm an idiot. I rarely solder and thought this hardmod looked easy enough on the 3DS XL, so I attempted it myself. I lifted one of the solder pads on the board. Am I now completely hosed, or is there another way to do this? An alternate point maybe?

Were you using lead free solder? Last time I tried that stuff I ruined a board as it has to be a higher temperature. I guess it depends on what the damage is, if it is a test point you might be able to find another point on the board to solder to, or you could carefully scrap some of the solder mask off the track to the point and solder it to there, but that's a bit risky.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
only really exposing the traces and soldering directly to those, but if you messed up the contacts, i would suggest sending it off to someone who has more experience doing them, PM @hundshamer and see if he is ok to do it, i know im not to keen on doing them after someone has already had a crack at it as its often more complicated and you find other stuff that have been messed up that needs to be addressed too....but as long as its still booting you should be ok

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only really exposing the traces and soldering directly to those, but if you messed up the contacts, i would suggest sending it off to someone who has more experience doing them, PM @hundshamer and see if he is ok to do it, i know im not to keen on doing them after someone has already had a crack at it as its often more complicated and you find other stuff that have been messed up that needs to be addressed too....but as long as its still booting you should be ok
He actually contacted me before attempting as it was already bricked. According to what I can see in the other thread he posted, I would have to remove some epoxy to get to the trace.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
He actually contacted me before attempting as it was already bricked. According to what I can see in the other thread he posted, I would have to remove some epoxy to get to the trace.
yeah i had to do one like that once, the epoxy isn't too hard to get off but depending on how far it was pulled you might only have a tiny bit of the trace left free to solder to....that's why i said just check with you if you where happy to do it, as the one i got the person hadn't even mentioned they had tried so it was a bit annoying to be left to clean up the mess too without any warning :P

mrbits

Trophies
XP
Country
Possibly a dumb question, but can you restore a nand backup taken from running the gateway launcher via this method? Or does the nand backup have to be taken via the computer?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Possibly a dumb question, but can you restore a nand backup taken from running the gateway launcher via this method? Or does the nand backup have to be taken via the computer?
gateway nand backup is fine, top tip though is to backup what you already have before restoring anything, especially if its a downgrade rather than unbrick as you can never guarantee that there wasn't a f**k up somewhere and your nand backup is corrupt or you got a different nand backup mixed up from a different console, so if you have something working, back it up before restoring your yet to be confirmed good old backup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?