Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yaynds.gif
Here's some food for thought:
yaynds.gif

Due to the 3DS apparently having automatic updates via Wi-fi, there will be more pressure on the flashcart providers to produce a flashcart that can block the updates and run 3DS games. What are you guys' thoughts on the kind of flashcart that will need to be produced? First thoughts go to the Supercard team, and R4 is definitely out of the question, as they were shut down (thanks Evo.lve for noting me of that!). if anyone has an idea of the flashcart they want done and by what team, post it here! also maybe some homebrew ideas could be posted here if you have any...

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nintendo will have auto updates but remember that they don't do updates alot.
But when they do, someone will make a crack, depends how hard they work though.
All this news about Nintendo boosting Anti-Piracy is just making people want to hack it even more.
We can't tell what the AP is ike until we get our hands onto it.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
leeday100196 said:
yaynds.gif
Here's some food for thought:
yaynds.gif

Due to the 3DS apparently having automatic updates via Wi-fi, there will be more pressure on the flashcart providers to produce a flashcart that can block the updates and run 3DS games. What are you guys' thoughts on the kind of flashcart that will need to be produced? First thoughts go to the Supercard team, and R4 is gonna have to step up their act a bit. if anyone has an idea of the flashcart they want done and by what team, post it here! also maybe some homebrew ideas could be posted here if you have any...

LOLWUT!?!?!

EDIT: Forgot to add this to original post, but you do know that Nintendo sued R4 and ended the company, right?

Don't connect it to Wi-Fi.

Problem solved.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I know a lot of people don't want to hear this but I think it will be a small miracle if the 3ds is hacked in the first place
That being said I believe that if it is hacked it will be through firmware not flashcarts

But seriously Ill keep my 3ds in a lead building to block updates until team cyclops releases their flashcart a month before the 3ds2 comes out
yaynds.gif

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fear Zoa said:
Honestly I know a lot of people don't want to hear this but I think it will be a small miracle if the 3ds is hacked in the first place
That being said I believe that if it is hacked it will be through firmware not flashcarts

But seriously Ill keep my 3ds in a lead building to block updates until team cyclops releases their flashcart a month before the 3ds2 comes out
yaynds.gif
it will be hacked. look at how fast Yasu went through the DSi. anyway, when the flashcart DOES come out, be it next year or next century, everyone will scramble to get at it. and I did know about Nintendo suing R4 i just didn't realise that it ended the company because of it... other than that, what homebrew ideas has anyone had? my idea, be it plagiarised in any way or not, would be the marble maze similar to that on the iPod nano/touch/iPhone, utilizing the tilt function and perhaps a 3D landscape with multiple tiers/levels in one stage.

EDIT: another little detail: @evo.lve you might want to change your sig a bit, as ShopTemp is no longer allowed to sell flashcarts. Just letting you know

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
leeday100196 said:
Fear Zoa said:

yaynds.gif
it will be hacked. look at how fast Yasu went through the DSi. anyway, when the flashcart DOES come out, be it next year or next century, everyone will scramble to get at it. and I did know about Nintendo suing R4 i just didn't realise that it ended the company because of it... other than that, what homebrew ideas has anyone had? my idea, be it plagiarised in any way or not, would be the marble maze similar to that on the iPod nano/touch/iPhone, utilizing the tilt function and perhaps a 3D landscape with multiple tiers/levels in one stage.

EDIT: another little detail: @evo.lve you might want to change your sig a bit, as ShopTemp is now allowed to sell flashcarts again. Just letting you know

Fixed.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Erdnaxela said:
It'll have custom firmware wich enable you to block update, problem solved
tongue.gif

It'll have whatever the hackers are capable of putting on it. Don't assume it will have exactly what you think it will, because it is not that simple.

If the DSi's firmware hasn't been hacked yet, the chances of the 3DS's firmware with even more AP protection getting hacked will be even lower. People hack because they like a challenge, not because said device is popular, but the 3DS follows suite with the DSi in terms of how it will operate, so if they understand the DSi's design, then that's one step closer to understanding the 3DS's design.

As said before, Yasu did hack the DSi, but only to the extent of running a very small program, and that was 2 years ago. The firmware wasn't hacked, nor was any DSi-specific hardware like the cameras accessible. Now, 2 years later, what is the progress on the DSi being hacked even more? Everyone thinks that the 3DS will be hacked just because Nintendo says it won't, but no one has proof that it can be when the device isn't even out yet, nor has anyone been able to "unlock" the DSi when it doesn't even have as high of security.

It's all a pipe-dream, and I doubt anyone here discussing the issue even know hows to attempt to hack such devices on their own.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
C'mon people, just wait for it to be out, then you can start speculating
tongue.gif

We don't even know if flashcarts will EVER be made for it.
Nintendo might come up with the strongest Antipiracy system ever, for what we know
tpi.gif

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
RiderLeangle said:
It's probably no one really cares about the DSi and the 3DS is right around the corner so why waste your time with something about to be outdated so they know what to protect on a better console...

Because, as was said, the DSi was hacked 2 years ago, and no real progress has come from it afterwards, not because people think it would not be worth it, but because they couldn't figure it out. This will be moreso with the 3DS having better security.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
leeday100196 said:
Due to the 3DS apparently having automatic updates via Wi-fi, there will be more pressure on the flashcart providers to produce a flashcart that can block the updates and run 3DS games.

Even if you block automatic updates, newer games will require new firmware in order to run.

QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Dec 5 2010, 07:40 AM) EDIT: Forgot to add this to original post, but you do know that Nintendo sued R4 and ended the company, right?

Problem solved.

The problem is that these updates will be included in games you buy. So even if you have Wi-Fi disabled, the upgrade will be executed.

leeday100196

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
Erdnaxela said:
It'll have custom firmware wich enable you to block update, problem solved
tongue.gif

It'll have whatever the hackers are capable of putting on it. Don't assume it will have exactly what you think it will, because it is not that simple.

If the DSi's firmware hasn't been hacked yet, the chances of the 3DS's firmware with even more AP protection getting hacked will be even lower. People hack because they like a challenge, not because said device is popular, but the 3DS follows suite with the DSi in terms of how it will operate, so if they understand the DSi's design, then that's one step closer to understanding the 3DS's design.

As said before, Yasu did hack the DSi, but only to the extent of running a very small program, and that was 2 years ago. The firmware wasn't hacked, nor was any DSi-specific hardware like the cameras accessible. Now, 2 years later, what is the progress on the DSi being hacked even more? Everyone thinks that the 3DS will be hacked just because Nintendo says it won't, but no one has proof that it can be when the device isn't even out yet, nor has anyone been able to "unlock" the DSi when it doesn't even have as high of security.

It's all a pipe-dream, and I doubt anyone here discussing the issue even know hows to attempt to hack such devices on their own.
i never said anything about the firmware, erdnaxela said that and he might get his dream, but that's a little out of his hands. I believe in the power of the flashcart at the bare minimum and if the miracle should happen that the firmware IS hacked then we'll all throw a party. You're also right in that Yasu only ran a small program, but it was enough to show that it could be hacked, contrary to nintendo's beliefs. That goes to show you that no matter what amount of security you put on the console, it will always be bypassed in some way or another. If someone could get at the 3DS's GUI settings, then they can disable automatic updates and only allow certain updates. If anything else arises, post it here with your idea of the hack.

leeday100196

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pachura said:
leeday100196 said:
Due to the 3DS apparently having automatic updates via Wi-fi, there will be more pressure on the flashcart providers to produce a flashcart that can block the updates and run 3DS games.

Even if you block automatic updates, newer games will require new firmware in order to run.

QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Dec 5 2010, 07:40 AM) EDIT: Forgot to add this to original post, but you do know that Nintendo sued R4 and ended the company, right?

Problem solved.

The problem is that these updates will be included in games you buy. So even if you have Wi-Fi disabled, the upgrade will be executed.
as said in previous post, if somehow we could get at the GUI settings, we could block the newer games executing the updates so that we could play our games on both legal and illegal cartridges without problems

leeday100196

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

Nintendo might come up with the strongest Antipiracy system ever, for what we know
tpi.gif
i don't wanna argue, but knowing Nintendo, they'll go for the bare minimum first up, then fix that with the updates developed later so that they make the most money for the least effort. It's all they ever do. therefore, they won't have top-notch security first, only a step up from the DSI/XL so that the old flashcarts won't work for a bit, thenthey'll work on developing the best security system for it.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
leeday100196 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

tpi.gif
i don't wanna argue, but knowing Nintendo, they'll go for the bare minimum first up, then fix that with the updates developed later so that they make the most money for the least effort. It's all they ever do. therefore, they won't have top-notch security first, only a step up from the DSI/XL so that the old flashcarts won't work for a bit, thenthey'll work on developing the best security system for it.

Never thought of it that way, makes sense. Can't wait till its release, too bad I probably won't be able to buy one
frown.gif

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
leeday100196 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

tpi.gif
And you know this how? It's smarter to tighten up security as much as they can since now they have a strong hook to pull people in (3D). Starting with bare bones security is a dumb idea because once a system is exploited, there's generally not much you can do about it anymore.

leeday100196

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nutella said:
leeday100196 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

tpi.gif
And you know this how? It's smarter to tighten up security as much as they can since now they have a strong hook to pull people in (3D). Starting with bare bones security is a dumb idea because once a system is exploited, there's generally not much you can do about it anymore.
f you heard me correctly i meant there will be enough security to keep hackers busy for a while, but they'll develop the next step in security after that so they'll have the hackers stumped even more. It happened with the DSi, but because that security system is now pretty primitive, it's not exactly the best example...but nintendo are slack and they'll want to suck hackers in then stump them. if they tighten up security to the max from point go then as soon as it's hacked they're out of tricks. maybe they could meet in the middle so they still have a trick up their proverbial sleeve if and when it gets hacked.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
leeday100196 said:
f you heard me correctly i meant there will be enough security to keep hackers busy for a while, but they'll develop the next step in security after that so they'll have the hackers stumped even more. It happened with the DSi, but because that security system is now pretty primitive, it's not exactly the best example...but nintendo are slack and they'll want to suck hackers in then stump them.
And I'm saying that that's a terrible idea. They don't want to "suck" hackers in. They want to prevent it for as long as possible, because if YOU read what I wrote, I said that once a system gets hacked, there generally isn't much they can do anymore. Why would they risk the possibility of people exploiting their system? It just doesn't make sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: