Hacking 3DS Hack: "We hacked it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Emulators must be coded to interpret different architectures and translate them to x86/x64 code in order to trick a PC into thinking it's something else. It also depends on how the emulator is coded and optimized, whether or not hacks are used to give a boost in speed, etc. The whole MHz Myth really bugs me sometimes; people need to realize that higher clock speeds don't always mean faster performance. A Core i7 2.2 GHz outperforms a Pentium IV at 3.0 GHz easily, not because of the speed, but the instructions, the no. of MIPS and floating-point operations or FLOPS. The 3DS could easily handle Snes and maybe even Playstation, but how well that would run is anyone's guess. But again, it all boils down to how efficiently the emulator code is written and executed.
This is why you find slower clock speed Intel CPU's outperforming higher clock speed AMD CPU's.

Anyway, as far as the original purpose of this topic goes...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I heard from some people over at the Dolphin forums (wii emulator) that a device must be 10x more powerful than what it is trying to emulate to successfully accomplish emulation.

Is this true?
Sort of, maybe no. It's a very rough rule of thumb to stop people from asking why you can't emulate PS3 games on the Gamecube, and shit like that.

Just going on cpu speeds, the n64 cpu is about 93mhz so a device in this case would require a 930mhz cpu, whereas it will run on 600-700mhz maybe lower. But then again the gamecubes 486mhz cpu in my experience requires a 3.0ghz dual core cpu, which is about 12x more. It varies, but is dependent on how well the emulator is made / coded. Back before dophin was open source it had the ability to render games near perfect but required twice what you need now for half the speed. Now it is one of my favorite emulators because of its quality.
A big problem there is MHz/GHz is not a measurement of speed.

Older Processors.
The "Intel Pentium 4" 2.26ghz processor scores 282.

Newer Processors.
The "Intel Core 2 Duo P7350" 2.00ghz processor scores 1,401.

The architecture can make an incredible difference in power. As you can see, that's not something small like a 15% difference, the second one is, clock for clock, many times more powerful than the first.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, yeah man he's very serious about this because he said that he will release it before everyone. I might be incorrect and I'm too lazy to check the source.
Well, I was skeptical because I erroneously assumed the 3DS had overly complex hardware

so yeah, I was a prick to you and shouldn't have been.:sad:

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
That says he's gonna focus on it at some point in the future. Doesn't mean he's already working on it!

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
...and 0.9.7 was released 14 months before 0.9.8

0.9.6 was released 10 months before that

Besides "after 1.0" doesn't mean "directly after". That quote basically says "After 1.0 I'm done with this, don't expect anything new. Next then coming {at no specific time} will most probably be a 3DS emulator"

DaveMode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so I'm clear...

Some dude figured out how to out how to put his own text on the bottom screen of a 3DS and now we have 40 pages of people wondering what kind of emulator this hack will support? That's not even mentioning the 50 posts saying "I don't care about piracy, I just want a region hack". I'm sure there's another 20 posts that I missed contemplating the return of Crown 3DS. While we are at it, we might as well make the 3DS Windows 8 compatible... No, fuck that, Windows 9 compatible.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so I'm clear...

Some dude figured out how to out how to put his own text on the bottom screen of a 3DS and now we have 40 pages of people wondering what kind of emulator this hack will support? That's not even mentioning the 50 posts saying "I don't care about piracy, I just want a region hack". I'm sure there's another 20 posts that I missed contemplating the return of Crown 3DS. While we are at it, we might as well make the 3DS Windows 8 compatible... No, fuck that, Windows 9 compatible.

So...what are we bitching about this time?

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more then likely nintendo will find a way to prevent this from going on much longer if you ask me im almost sure they know about this
They can't do anything if they don't know the details on the hack, which the hacker has yet to expose because he feels an update could bork this easily. For now, the community will be left in the dark.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for how long though when it is released they will fix the problem
They will most likely release it in a stable, evolved stage in which they're confident the hack's results will prove useful for the community, easy to emulate, and easy to fix if Nintendo does update it off the console.

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd be nice if this somehow led to more people having access to Four Swords, since it's really mind-boggling as to why it isn't on the e-shop anymore.

Really, there are people I know who said they'd buy it, and hell, I would have bought it if it were sold instead of having been free. :<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k