Status
Not open for further replies.

samagon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't expect this to be released. From what I've heard on IRC, the exploit they used could be too easily fixed, so there is no point.

However, it's possible that I misunderstood, or that I was told by someone misinformed.

You're pretty much dead on. The hack is useless to the end user since the hackers can't really do much with it at the moment. I expect the hype to die down while the hackers spend months reverse engineering the system to figure out how things work before they even begin to think about coding a homebrew channel. As they familiarize themselves with the inner workings they might hopefully happen upon another exploit that can't be patched and release that. If they are unable to find another exploit they may release this one, but only after some serious reverse engineering.

Reactions: eyecat14

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I want to run OS X on my Wii U.

Difference is that the 3DS uses the ARM architecture just like normal android devices. If any porting needed to be done (which I'm sure it would) it would be simple. Hell, look at this! That's the Android OS on the x86 architecture ported from ARM! Also the source code IS available here for Android, while it isn't available publicly for OS X, meaning it would be most certainly within the realm of possibility to port the Android OS to the Nintendo 3DS (or Wii U even).

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes Friendsxix thats what i mean. The stuff need to get it is open source.

BTW:
I don't expect this to be released. From what I've heard on IRC, the exploit they used could be too easily fixed, so there is no point.

However, it's possible that I misunderstood, or that I was told by someone misinformed.

does he mean this is totally faked?

zoolmod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am in the EU, and am incredibly frustrated at the lack of EU support on the 3DS and was going to order an NTSC model this week, though this hacking stuff has kinda put me off. Should i just hold out a while longer and see where this leads or should i just fork out the cash for an american 3DS?

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
I am in the EU, and am incredibly frustrated at the lack of EU support on the 3DS and was going to order an NTSC model this week, though this hacking stuff has kinda put me off. Should i just hold out a while longer and see where this leads or should i just fork out the cash for an american 3DS?

I think you are better off importing that NTSC machine. I doubt we will se something here for some time, and I think it will be even longer until we can remove the region protection.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you want to play US games only, get the US model. If there are some EU exclusives you want to play, stick with the EU version. It's just typical that quite a few games get released to the EU area very slowly due to licensing with voiceovers (Zero Escape being quite a good example).

As for the hack, I'd just wait for it. It won't do anything for the average joe for a long time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Difference is that the 3DS uses the ARM architecture just like normal android devices. If any porting needed to be done (which I'm sure it would) it would be simple. Hell, look at this! That's the Android OS on the x86 architecture ported from ARM! Also the source code IS available here for Android, while it isn't available publicly for OS X, meaning it would be most certainly within the realm of possibility to port the Android OS to the Nintendo 3DS (or Wii U even).
yes Friendsxix thats what i mean. The stuff need to get it is open source.
Source code aside, I said it once and I'll say it again, the 3DS is quite weak for Android-related purposes. Technically it has just about enough resources to run it, but it would run it poorly. Moreover, there are far better Linux distributions that could be ported to the 3DS - why would you even want Android to begin with when that system is built first and foremost for Smartphones, what the 3DS is not?

Reactions: Qtis

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source code aside, I said it once and I'll say it again, the 3DS is quite weak for Android-related purposes. Technically it has just about enough resources to run it, but it would run it poorly. Moreover, there are far better Linux distributions that could be ported to the 3DS - why would you even want Android to begin with when that system is built first and foremost for Smartphones, what the 3DS is not?

That's not what I was trying to argue however. I never once stated it was a GOOD IDEA, I just plainly said it was "most certainly within the realm of possibility", meaning it is possible that it be ported once the system is cracked and exploited. I honestly find it kind of pointless too, but it'd be a fun trick (and probably not one worth the effort at that).

If that was pointed at sightlight I apologize, but you also quoted my post too so I was unsure.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's not what I was trying to argue however. I never once stated it was a GOOD IDEA, I just plainly said it was "most certainly within the realm of possibility", meaning it is possible that it be ported once the system is cracked and exploited. I honestly find it kind of pointless too, but it'd be a fun trick (and probably not one worth the effort at that).

If that was pointed at sightlight I apologize, but you also quoted my post too so I was unsure.
I was just underlining the fact that there are so many "better" distros that could be ported which are way more appropriate for the system, it wasn't really a slight againts either of you. ;)

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're pretty much dead on. The hack is useless to the end user since the hackers can't really do much with it at the moment. I expect the hype to die down while the hackers spend months reverse engineering the system to figure out how things work before they even begin to think about coding a homebrew channel. As they familiarize themselves with the inner workings they might hopefully happen upon another exploit that can't be patched and release that. If they are unable to find another exploit they may release this one, but only after some serious reverse engineering.
Do you think this exploit will allow them to know everything about the 3ds? Some people think this will allow them to have a step into the door.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Considering we don't know the source of this image it may be fake or done without any homebrew (such as using the Internet Browser, YouTube channel or similar)

The Wii U hack seems much more legit considering it's not just a piece of text and it's by a known team.
But maybe the Wii U and the 3DS somehow share the same/similar exploit and that's why they got hacked this close to eachother.

It would sure be nice if they could both run homebrew already :)

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering we don't know the source of this image it may be fake or done without any homebrew (such as using the Internet Browser, YouTube channel or similar)

The Wii U hack seems much more legit considering it's not just a piece of text and it's by a known team.
But maybe the Wii U and the 3DS somehow share the same/similar exploit and that's why they got hacked this close to eachother.

It would sure be nice if they could both run homebrew already :)
Not to be a twat but it could of been a coincidence. I'm not saying I believe you but I would personally ask that team for more information. Can you send me a link to there website?

have a step in the door give more time like a year and the 3ds secrets are gone
Do you think the 3ds will end up completely unlocked within a year?

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be a twat but it could of been a coincidence. I'm not saying I believe you but I would personally ask that team for more information. Can you send me a link to there website?

Do you think the 3ds will end up completely unlocked within a year?
since we got the foot in the door and not completely hacked just the secrets will be ares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hiiiiii