Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmuNAND should always be used when wifi is on so you don't get the update nag that many have experienced. Just make sure you have a backup of it in case you need a clean copy if your 3DS does silently download an update.

Bigbones87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmuNAND should always be used when wifi is on so you don't get the update nag that many have experienced. Just make sure you have a backup of it in case you need a clean copy if your 3DS does silently download an update.
Yeah, I have my wifi off completely, and have never setup a network with this console. I also disabled spot pass. I am a noob so I am terrified off updating. I won't be messing with all that stuff until I feel confident I know enough to not ruin my exploit.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if when Gateway backs up saves for cart1 games (Pokemon X/Y/ACNL) does it back up the full save? I ask this because I know if you play from a ROM there is not only a sav in the cart but also on the SD if I'm correct. Okay, wait, backing up saves just doesn't seem to work with those games. Would I need to backup the ROMs to backup the sav's then?

sasha_spb_ru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi!
Before buying Gateway I have a couple questions about their emuNAND.

1. If I create Nintendo ID using emuNAND it will be same, as if it was created it on clean 3DS?
So, in future, can I use ID on same updated clean 3DS? Or emuNAND's Nintendo ID counts as different console?

2. How exactly emuNAND stored on SD?
Do I need to use separate SD or I can use same SD for all 3DS purposes?

3. What about purchased content and saves?
Where eShop files saved, when purchased in emuNAND?
Is something stored inside emuNAND or content just saved to SD?
So, if I need to copy something, do I need to extract and inject from/to emuNAND (files, saves or something else), or all content just located on SD as plain files?
I totally don't understand that.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Does anyone know if when Gateway backs up saves for cart1 games (Pokemon X/Y/ACNL) does it back up the full save? I ask this because I know if you play from a ROM there is not only a sav in the cart but also on the SD if I'm correct. Okay, wait, backing up saves just doesn't seem to work with those games. Would I need to backup the ROMs to backup the sav's then?
its actually card2 games which stor inside the rom i.e pokemon etc.....you can actually backup just the save by extracting it out of the rom using the tools from this thread
http://gbatemp.net/threads/way-to-distribute-the-removed-hidden-pokemon-from-power-saves.364150/

Also, how would I go about updating emuNAND? Just go to Gateway Mode and do a system update?
assuming you have emunand set up already, yeah just enter gateway mode, go to systemsettings, confirm it says GW3D on the system version then proceed to update from within system settings

Hi!
Before buying Gateway I have a couple questions about their emuNAND.

1. If I create Nintendo ID using emuNAND it will be same, as if it was created it on clean 3DS?
So, in future, can I use ID on same updated clean 3DS? Or emuNAND's Nintendo ID counts as different console?

2. How exactly emuNAND stored on SD?, if you try to use a SD with emunand setup on a different console gateway mode will not work
Do I need to use separate SD or I can use same SD for all 3DS purposes?

3. What about purchased content and saves?
Where eShop files saved, when purchased in emuNAND?
Is something stored inside emuNAND or content just saved to SD?
So, if I need to copy something, do I need to extract and inject from/to emuNAND (files, saves or something else), or all content just located on SD as plain files?
I totally don't understand that.

1.aslong as you havent formatted the console whilst in emunand or systemnand yeah the 3ds is classed as the same console.....it may work even if you do format the 3ds though....but i havent tried, so assuming you one day decide to update your sysnand you should be able to still log into the same NNID

2.http://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/, each emunand setup is for the specific console it was set up on, so you cant use a SD card with emunand from one console on another console to enter gateway mode without first running the format emunand option

3. saves for eshop content will be on the SD card...its best to stick to just using the 1 SD card for emunand and eshop content as some games use different save protection that is tied to the nand so switching between 2 different SD cards will cause issues with some games as the emunand setup will not match the updates saves unless everytime you switch SD you copy the most current emunand from the other SD and inject it into the other card along with all the saves etc....which would be a pain in the ass imho

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but don't do it just yet unless you have the Omega 2.3 beta. This is required to install the newest 8.x firmware to EmuNAND.
I have the beta, but in Gateway mode my settings don't say GW3D 4.5.0. I don't want to accidentally update and svrew myself over.. Is there a video guide somewhere?

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the beta, but in Gateway mode my settings don't say GW3D 4.5.0. I don't want to accidentally update and svrew myself over.. Is there a video guide somewhere?

I don't think there is for 2.3b, but the process will be exactly the same as it was when 2.2 released.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It is strange that it does not say GW3D. That implies that it is not booting into EmuNAND mode properly. Have to actually set up an EmuNAND by selecting format EnuNAND on the Gateway menu?

Absolutely DO NOT update if it does not say GW3D. Wait for help here.

sasha_spb_ru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have more questions about Gateway :)

1. Which mode should I use (with emuNAND or without, or even classic) to keep maximum compatibility for ROM saves for same 3DS (and, maybe, even retail cards)?
Do I need to convert them or do something, when switching between modes? Or they are will be incompatible?

2. Do I need to do something to run ROMs, which are require FW higher, than 4.5?
Will saves for them be same, when running in different modes?

3. Same question for eShop titles - does it matter, how I run them, to maintain save compatibility between modes?

So, to sum this up - how to run ROMs and eShop titles and not to think, that my saves will be incompatible some day (assuming, that I will update emuNAND to latest FW)?

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I have more questions about Gateway :)

1. Which mode should I use (with emuNAND or without, or even classic) to keep maximum compatibility for ROM saves for same 3DS (and, maybe, even retail cards)?
Do I need to convert them or do something, when switching between modes? Or they are will be incompatible?

2. Do I need to do something to run ROMs, which are require FW higher, than 4.5?
Will saves for them be same, when running in different modes?

3. Same question for eShop titles - does it matter, how I run them, to maintain save compatibility between modes?

So, to sum this up - how to run ROMs and eShop titles and not to think, that my saves will be incompatible some day (assuming, that I will update emuNAND to latest FW)?

1. Normal emuNAND, you boot it just by launching DS profile without holding “L” button or using the first option in GW launcher. Converting saves is not possbile yet (why would you need to do it?).
2. No, you don’t. According to the last GW’s update you’ll be perfectly fine playing all your games in normal emuNAND. You’ve got one save per title—they are stored on SD card.
3. Same.

You’ll be fine just by using normal emuNAND. Classic is only needed to play retail games. The point of original 4.5 FW present is that you can only run GW’s expoloit on it.

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everytime I open system settings to check my version, it just says 4.5.0-10U in the bottom right corner, then when I close system settings and go back to the main menu, I cannot press select to get my games to show up, as if it is not in gateway mode anymore once I opened the settings. Then I need to go back and relaunch it from the nintendo ds profile to re-enter gateway mode to launch games, is there something I'm doing wrong? I would really like to get this working so I can connect to the eshop but I don't want to do something wrong and update my console.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everytime I open system settings to check my version, it just says 4.5.0-10U in the bottom right corner, then when I close system settings and go back to the main menu, I cannot press select to get my games to show up, as if it is not in gateway mode anymore once I opened the settings. Then I need to go back and relaunch it from the nintendo ds profile to re-enter gateway mode to launch games, is there something I'm doing wrong? I would really like to get this working so I can connect to the eshop but I don't want to do something wrong and update my console.

Entering and leaving the settings takes it out of gateway mode.

It just says 4.5.0-10U, rather than GW3D XXXXX because you aren't running on emunand. You need to hold L when launching the exploit and use the format emunand option (back up anything on the sd card in the 3ds, because it will wipe it when it creates the emunand).

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So essentially I should backup the nand and and SD card to my computer, then run format emunand, then transfer everything back to the card, then launch gateway mode again and everything should be set?

So I did that and when I g into system settings now it does say the correct thing infront of the FW version, it's still supposed to exit gateway mode/emunand when you leave settings though correct? I just want to make sure before I go updating anything.

JeSuisNerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a long time since I've used a flashcart and I accidentally updated quite a while ago to 7.1.0-16U without a NAND backup. I realize I won't be able to play 3DS roms with any of the flashcarts, but will the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe still work on this firmware to play DS games and DS-mode homebrew? I haven't seen a clear answer and I don't want to buy one that won't work. Thanks in advance!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's been a long time since I've used a flashcart and I accidentally updated quite a while ago to 7.1.0-16U without a NAND backup. I realize I won't be able to play 3DS roms with any of the flashcarts, but will the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe still work on this firmware to play DS games and DS-mode homebrew? I haven't seen a clear answer and I don't want to buy one that won't work. Thanks in advance!
you dont need the gold deluxe, just a DStwo or a standard R4i 3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto