3DS DOES have a Pressure Sensitive Screen

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TankTan38, Apr 10, 2011.

Apr 10, 2011
  1. TankTan38
    OP

Newcomer TankTan38 Advanced Member

United States
    I'm pretty sure this is already known, but the 3DS has a pressure sensitive screen. The only place that I can find it in use is in the keyboard toy in Nintendogs + Cats. It is quite cool, actually.

Here is a video I made that proves it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxsCiwYv7ZQ[/youtube]

2. Habstinat

Newcomer Habstinat Member

United States
    I'm not saying the 3DS doesn't have a pressure sensitive screen, but just because the piano plays louder when you tap harder doesn't necessarily prove it. The iPad, which has been proven not to have a pressure sensitive screen, still can sense whether you play piano keys in GarageBand harder or softer; see http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/garageband.html (look towards the beginning of the video). I'm pretty sure it can be roughly calculated using some algorithm, as they did in GarageBand and could have done in Nintendogs.

3. anime999

Newcomer anime999 Member

Canada
    Doesn't the DS lite have a pressure sensitive screen? I mean in the homebrew app "Colors" you could set for it so that exerting more pressure made the brush stroke wider. If the DS lite had it I don't see why the 3DS wouldn't.

Metoroid0 likes this.
  4. Apk07

Newcomer Apk07 Advanced Member

United States
    I think the idea is that as you press harder it makes contact with more of the board underneath... so its not as much pressure sensitive as it is area-sensitive, but it has the same outcome.
    Imagine touching the corner of a sponge to a piece of glass, and then pushing harder so it squishes a larger area of sponge onto the glass.

I could be wrong, but that's my theory. I don't know if it'd work the same for an iPad, because the iPad has a capacitive screen while the DS/3DS have resistive screens, which respond to pressure to work anyway.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    DS and DSlite have pressure sensitivity.
    DS has dual-touch detection.
    I think DSi doesn't have anything anymore.

The 3DS having the pressure sensitivity back is not surprising.

6. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    "I'm not saying the 3DS doesn't have a pressure sensitive screen, but just because the piano plays louder when you tap harder doesn't necessarily prove it. The iPad, which has been proven not to have a pressure sensitive screen, still can sense whether you play piano keys in GarageBand harder or softer; see http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/garageband.html (look towards the beginning of the video). I'm pretty sure it can be roughly calculated using some algorithm, as they did in GarageBand and could have done in Nintendogs. "

no.

3DS, DSlite DSi and DS all have RESISTIVE touch screens.
    more pressure equals more resistance, which is measurable. Every DS has these screens. The 3DS screens are also higher resolution meaning that you can measure the resistance more accurately as the resistive layer is resolution dependant.
    Resistive screens are the ONLY way to have a pressure sensitivety. (unless the pen registers pressure like a drawing tablet)

Capacitive screens (like smartphones, ipad, NGP) measure the surface area of finger/thumb in contact with the screen. If finger/thumb is pressed hard onto screen, a larger area of skin makes contact and this is guessed as a hard press. Capacitive screens cannot measure accurately pressure of any kind. They know if they have been touched, and the rest is guess work down to good programming.

7. Quanno

Member Quanno GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    The DSi was the only one without pressure sensitivity, right?

Also, the only thing I can remember that used it was the Color! homebrew app [​IMG]

8. CherrySkitty

Member CherrySkitty GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    Lazy/Non-creative programmers? =O

9. TankTan38
    OP

Newcomer TankTan38 Advanced Member

United States
    Well, if the only other time it was used was in Colors, this is the fist official application.