Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
The ONLY purpose this thing serves is to rile up noobs, make a quick buck, and to be a mediocre collector's item. Nothing more. Next person to say "OMG ROMS FINALLY TAKE DAT NINTY" is gonna feel the wrath of my backhand.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
That is a little harsh. Of course people saying this will run roms are admitting how low their IQ is, but at the same time, if this was in the right hands, and the community actually did work together (Dream world), then the outcome wouldn't be as much as a "collector's item." I think that as of right now, yes, it is pretty useless, but you never know. Maybe some shut door dev already has been working on the 3DS. All I am saying is to look at all the "scenes" out their and look how they come to be. It is sort of funny, like the 360 scene wouldn't even exist right now without c4eva.

something15525

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a side wondering, it was mentioned that no official carts of any sort will run on the 3DS, and correct me if i'm wrong, but you said flashcarts (E.G. SCSDS2, Acekard) won't run either. What about the DS dev cart that got on eBay recently....the Nitro cart if I remember correctly? Wonder if that would work on it?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
something15525 said:
Just a side wondering, it was mentioned that no official carts of any sort will run on the 3DS, and correct me if i'm wrong, but you said flashcarts (E.G. SCSDS2, Acekard) won't run either. What about the DS dev cart that got on eBay recently....the Nitro cart if I remember correctly? Wonder if that would work on it?

There is a SLIM possibility it would, but most likely not. According to the owner of the Nitro test cart, it won't even run on a DSi or normal 3DS (even though the rom runs on them through flashcarts).

solofrags

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
the console is out then leave him time. The good games will be more and more and then you'll want all the console.Rien for Mario, a fan must have!

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wiibob said:
Kaleadoskope said:
QUOTE said:
THEN WHAT IS THIS if we cannot play roms is no use

No console has ever had the ability to play ROMs out of the box. It may be of use if we can learn about the software, THEN maybe people can start to develop some way of using ROMs, but from what I have seen, using this Dev unit isn't going to be fruitful.
dry.gif
My Dreamcast played burned iso's on a cd-r out of box
rolleyes.gif
An ISO isn't a ROM.

nyanya.gif

Reactions: OctopusRift

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
That dev unit doesn't seem quite useful, unless programs or other stuff on it can be dumped in a non-encrypted form... could be a little help, but what would really be helpful to the scene would be documentation on how the 3DS works internally, the I/O registers and all...

Reminds me of those persons "but if team lgc could dump the roms and test them why cant we have 3ds mode flashcarts already". Simple to answer. Chances are that Team LGC flashed the ROM chip on an already-made cartridge to test their dumps... doing so lets one boot a dumped game, but directly. A flashcart typically includes a menu showing all the files on it... and making that menu requires knowledge of how the 3DS works, where to write to display stuff, etc... which we're currently lacking.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically unless you can find someone selling the special 3ds flashcart that goes with the dev kit then there is not much that can be done with it, but i would think that there would be atleast an equal number of dev 3ds's and specila dev flashcards,maybe even a higher number of flashcarts than onsoles,so maybe one will pop up somewhere

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
totalnoob617 said:
basically unless you can find someone selling the special 3ds flashcart that goes with the dev kit then there is not much that can be done with it, but i would think that there would be atleast an equal number of dev 3ds's and specila dev flashcards,maybe even a higher number of flashcarts than onsoles,so maybe one will pop up somewhere

I think the dev carts are better secured. Would be interesting. It took 7 years for a ds dev cart to surface.

MSaki

Trophies
Website
nintendo3ds-place.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
something15525 said:

well for one that cart was a debugcart no more than that so its more of a collectors item(saw a bunch of those nitro debug carts at my local salvation army O.o ), but it would be interesting to see someone get there hands on a version 1 Nintendo flashcart, iv only seen one and it was destroyed and some one found it and couldn't get it running as they then threw it out......

3ds version 1 flash cart doesn't work any more on the 3ds after the update for the shop that's as much as i know...

i don't see a point for debugcarts still since Nintendo deactivated bunch's of them via dsi and 3ds update and they don't hold any code but tests and checks. only ones i know that still work are the ds phat and ds lite ones.

MSaki

Trophies
Website
nintendo3ds-place.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
urisma said:
Howdy folks! I figured I would repost I wrote on a different forum concerning the 3DS dev model I acquired. Before anybody asks, NO IT DOES NOT PLAY ROMS!!!!!!! NONE. It doesn't even recognise real 3DS games. SO DON'T ASK.

anyway...

urisma said:
Howdy folks! I recently acquired a 3DS dev model and wanted to post all the pictures and info I can about it. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I'll share what's here.

Top screen flap is a gradient of silver going into black. The main body is all black except for the area around the cartridge dock, which is red.

It's on SDK version 0.14.23, r33437, no patch.
Memory Mode is 64 mb.

It boots into a very simple menu that allows launching the DevMenu, launching from flash cart, and closing the current info, as well as displaying the info above. Trying to launch a flash cart without one gives the following string "last result = c880448d". Pressing start enters the home menu.

The devMenu has 4 different panes, Programs, Import, ExtData, and SExtData. Programs allows launching from flash cart as well as launching 2 built in programs stored locally on the 3DS I presume (NOT on the SD card). These programs are "DS INTERNET" and "dlplay". I have not succeeded in getting either of them to run (or at least act like they're running). Clicking A on either one just brings up a black screen. They do, however, automatically turn on wireless.

The Import tab shows a browser for the SD card. The stock SD card had nothing on it. I've tried putting a few test files to see if I can import anything, but I haven't had any luck yet. Will be brute forcing file endings later.

I don't know anything about ExtData.

SExtData is also Shared Ext Data. Pressing Y initialises it, but I can't figure out what exactly that does.

It does not read DS flash carts, DS games OR 3DS games. I presume it only reads 3DS flash carts. Putting in any other cart gives an "unknown cart" error.

Model is "LTZ-CTR-S-USZ". It's copyright 2010, no 2011 on it, unlike the launch 3DS's.

Here's a link to the photo album so you can check out all the pictures I've taken. http://imageshack.us/g/405/20110627172530.jpg/

ebay: click

You'll notice on the pictures of the back of the unit that text has been whited out. I deleted the serial number and Nintendo's development contact info.

I snipped a few lines from the original writeup on a different site, since it pertained to that site only. Here's a link to the original postclick me

happy to see at least there are now 3 dev systems out there... i wonder who has the other one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: S3X