Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

Z

Zorua

Sonataroger said:
It's not the first time I've seen companies and people get away with something unlawful

It's just a rumor.
No one has reported any form of bricking yet.

Sonataroger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
Sonataroger said:
It's not the first time I've seen companies and people get away with something unlawful

It's just a rumor.
No one has reported any form of bricking yet.

lolwut that has nothing to do with that comment hahaha I'm sure that they will eventually but the real question isn't will they it's if they do then what. I'm prepared to bet they get away with it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Rydian said:
Sonataroger said:
Ok so as much as I don't like it they can "legaly" blrick your 3ds. When you buy the product and use it you are technically agreeing that you will use it for what the device was used for. In court they will make the argument that when you buy an Iphone you "agree" to the idea that they tell you what you can and can't use it for. It's kind of like you having to pay for a data plan with your service. You buy the data plan or you can't use any of it. It doesn't really make since but after talking to my neighbor who's a lawyer he said that would pass in court and you can't really do anything about it. You buy the 3ds service with the 3ds. not buying a 3ds with and paying extra for the service.
- However won't stop me from finding a way around this =D
Please read post 2. An EULA is not above law.

I feel like hugging you tightly and taking you out for dinner, followed by a session of ice cream monging.

This is what I've been screaming out for the past 2 months (or since whenever the rumour surfaced, seeing as my concept of time and space is crippled due to constantly sitting in my gaming groto) word by word to just about everyone who was concerned about the bricks.

If your 3DS hangs - throw it into the bin or ask Nintendo nicely to fix it for ya. If there is something Nintendo can deny you after using flash carts, it's Online capabilities (since they are *NOT* a feature of the system, but a privilage and Nintendo has no obligation to allow you to use them. They're a service which they conviniently allow their little clubhouse members to use and you can be expelled from it with no consiquences for Nintendo) and fixing your unit in case it breaks (seeing that you used hardware/software clearly enlisted as "naughty" by Nintendo).

What can you say? Thank you Ninny Boys for releasing a console that apparently still is in its prototype stage, seeing as most of its features are locked out until the May update. Talk about a world-wide Beta. Why the hurry? Couldn't you just "finish what you started" before selling it? Are you in financial trouble THAT MUCH? I find it hard to believe.

Jaden.

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How Nintendo will figure out that you're using a Third Party Battery?
biggrin.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Jaden. said:
biggrin.gif

Easily. Each battery is fitted with a chip to control and display how much charge is in it left. That chip can be also used to identify whether or not the battery is original or third-party.

Third-party companies cannot use the same code Nintendo does due to copyright reasons, and any mismatch can be logged.

Handheld batteries "got smart" back when the PSP was released
wink.gif

ccfreak2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Jaden. said:
biggrin.gif

Easily. Each battery is fitted with a chip to control and display how much charge is in it left. That chip can be also used to identify whether or not the battery is original or third-party.

Third-party companies cannot use the same code Nintendo does due to copyright reasons, and any mismatch can be logged.

Handheld batteries "got smart" back when the PSP was released
wink.gif
A similar situation lead to Lexmark Int'l v. Static Control Components.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I don't think Nintendo is dumb enough to start bricking people's consoles. MS tried that and it didn't go over too well. Now they just ban people from online. Sony's doing the same. People spreading brick rumors are just paranoid or anti-piracy. To my knowledge there's never been a company that completely broke a product you paid for and got away with it.

Riversong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I personally believe this rumor is false, for the following reasons.

1. It's illegal in the US/UK.
    If you are found to be using a flash cart or third-party accessory, Nintendo has the right to stop you from using their online services, because that is a service. However they do not have the right to brick your device, as it is a good. The law recognizes the clear difference between goods and services. While some may argue that the software on the device is still Nintendo's property that you're licensing, there's two counters.

1. How would they know? Do they scan the device with spotpass or do you have to call in and tell them?

Slynk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uh guys, Nintendo HAVE purposefully bricked people's wiis in the past. What makes you think they wouldn't do it to the 3DS if they had a good enough reason?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
tueidj said:
Uh guys, Nintendo HAVE purposefully bricked people's wiis in the past. What makes you think they wouldn't do it to the 3DS if they had a good enough reason?
You mean error 003? that has been fixed and you can fix it in a store for a minimal rate.

Plus, i don't think nintendo did that deliberately. Or else they would be slapped with lawsuits.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can only fix it if you've got a modchip. And you bet your ass it was deliberate - it's a check added to the US, JAP and EUR system menus that looks for the korean key and throws up the error 003 screen if it finds it.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
About that other thread and the new post on nintendo3dsblog:

QUOTE said:
The group actually called and spoke to Nintendo, Gay told me, and "they confirmed that in fact, they could brick a device with a firmware update.
In other words, like the Wii 4.2 update, they can brick it by mistake.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
The media is scaremongering, and Nintendo are just covering themselves. PLUS THIS IS OLD NEWS.

Obviously, if you use an unauthorised device of any sort on your 3DS, and it messes up, Nintendo are saying you are responsible if it breaks, and you bear the cost. Makes perfect sense to me.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I don't think Nintendo will deliberately brick your system... (Rich guys/gals who play with a flashcart solely cuz of homebrew will really cause a fuss)

Instead, disabling all the 'new' features (SpP, StP, Browser, eShop etc) should be more likely to me.

SpP - SpotPass
StP - StreetPass

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
tueidj said:
You can only fix it if you've got a modchip. And you bet your ass it was deliberate - it's a check added to the US, JAP and EUR system menus that looks for the korean key and throws up the error 003 screen if it finds it.
Source?
I can post a screenshot of some disassembled code if you like. But why would you not believe that Error 003 is a deliberate attempt at bricking (designed to only be fixable by Nintendo)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH
    At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in the world
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Notes on Android got some cool new features like dropping a image in
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Notes on Android got some cool new features like dropping a image in