Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Rydian said:
I personally believe this rumor is false, for the following reasons.

1. It's illegal in the US/UK.
    If you are found to be using a flash cart or third-party accessory, Nintendo has the right to stop you from using their online services, because that is a service. However they do not have the right to brick your device, as it is a good. The law recognizes the clear difference between goods and services. While some may argue that the software on the device is still Nintendo's property that you're licensing, there's two counters.
    -snip-

1. Don't tell that to Direct TV. GAME OVER

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
I personally believe this rumor is false, for the following reasons.

1. It's illegal in the US/UK.
    If you are found to be using a flash cart or third-party accessory, Nintendo has the right to stop you from using their online services, because that is a service. However they do not have the right to brick your device, as it is a good. The law recognizes the clear difference between goods and services. While some may argue that the software on the device is still Nintendo's property that you're licensing, there's two counters.
    -snip-

1. Don't tell that to Direct TV. GAME OVER

1. No lie... That was a pretty damn epic story I just read
    ohmy.gif

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No you think of it wrong its not saying im going to stab you then doing so
rather its saying that if you stab someone, then there will be consequences.

Edit: that directtv thing sounds like a solution for that problem and it is not illigal to overwrite data on a card used for illigal activity
its a service

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Don't tell that to Direct TV. GAME OVEREpic.

But that's a service, not a good, the smart cards are part of the box system that's rented from the provider. It's like how a car you lease can have a device in it that makes it refuse to start up if you stop payments on it, but a car you buy to own certainly can't have one of those.

QUOTE(bigpaws @ Mar 23 2011, 12:48 AM) No you think of it wrong its not saying im going to stab you then doing so
That doesn't make sense, I have no clue what you're saying.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bigpaws said:
If I'm reading correctly. Yes there will be consequences, but the consequences still can't be illegal.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
bigpaws said:
If I'm reading correctly. Yes there will be consequences, but the consequences still can't be illegal.
So what you're trying to say is... "Consequences will never be the same.", mirite?

At this point I could care less since I'll be buying games for a bit anyway.... I find it to be strange how they warn you to reset your system before trading it in to a retailer. I doubt it'll brick anyone's system but the system's log will some how tell who's doing what with your system so you won't be able to give it back to retailers.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure if that's what it warned before... I just could've sworn it warned to reset the system before handing back to retailers on the asian ad. Can someone confirm or debunk this for me?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, yeah.

As said if Nintendo doesn't like what you're doing they can respond, but not with something illegal.

Cutting off access to their online services? Yeah. In fact if, in the moment the system detected a flash cart, the 3DS flipped a hidden flag in the firmware that made it refuse to connec to any of Nintendo's services (or if they, on their end, were notified that you ran a flash cart and blocked your device's MAC or something like that) I'm sure they'd be well within their rights... though they didn't do this with the DSi/XL (as running a flash cart gives the same symptoms as running a pirated cart from ebay), so I don't think they'll do this since if somebody buys a fake game from ebay without knowing it they would still be hurt.

x_r3ap3r_x

Trophies
XP
What i think Nintendo will do (this is just my opinion) is if a flash cart is inserted in the 3DS it will shut down and not boot up until the device as been removed. But that wouldn't succeed for very long as newer (recent) flash carts can be updated. Thats my theory anyway.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Companies have gotten away with stuff before.

I mean that it is a threat that could be used if the need arises.
They told you not to do it.
You do it.
They have the option to brick your console.

If you break a law, the consequence could be death.
murder is illigal but they can kill you for certian crimes.

scaling this down, pirating several games that leads to bricking is the proportionate to killing several people leading to your death by murder from ther gov.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Nintendo will play the update game......They aren't ones to do anything to rash.....out of sony microsoft and nintendo ...nintendo probably cares the least about piracy .....

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No offense bigpaws, but could you please post more "educated posts", or at the least use better grammar and punctuation. I'm having a hard time reading your posts.

You realize that threats can be illegal too, right? And what people (or at least Rydian) are saying is just because someone gave a warning, it doesn't mean the illegal act they are going to commit will become legal. (and I believe you mixed up the analogy Rydian was using)

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
As I keep saying, if Nintendo can detect flashcarts, why would they just log and not block them? In regards to DS games, I see no situation where you can detect a flashcart and not block it. Nintendo blocked all flashcarts originally on the 3DS. Flashcarts updated, so now they work. If they work, they are not detected. If they are not detected, they are not logged (except as whatever game they pretend to be). So the only thing it could possibly ever do is log an attempted flashcart use that is blocked. Easy away around this - don't use a flashcart on updated firmware until your flashcart has been updated.

This whole thing is a scare tactic and nothing more, the end. As has also been mentioned in other threads, there's too much liability all around for it to be anywhere near practical, as I've said above, anywhere near feasible.

Amen. The 3DS will log the flash cart as whatever game it spoofs as, not that it was a flash cart. If the 3DS detected that it was damn flash cart it wouldn't bot the freakin' thing!!!

QUOTE(spiritofcat @ Mar 22 2011, 08:45 PM) I find it interesting that they have changed the wording from may to will.

If they say that using unauthorised accessories will render the game and/or system unplayable, then as soon as someone uses an unauthorised accessory and the game and system remain playable it makes a lie of their statement.

And if you touch yourself god will strike you dead. The first time you try smoking you will get cancer. Trolls will come and steal you away in the night if your bad. Yeah...

Rydian's post is largely correct. NO company has a right to destroy your purchased goods (read: property) because you did something they didn't like w/ it. If I take my Honda Civic (I don't really own a Civic) mud bogging and post video on YouTube, Honda can't send some thugs to disable my car because of the inevitable bad press about how a Civic performs in the mud.

Fast6191 should be in here soon w/ a Accolade vs. Sega reference. He's right, though the DMCA has melted some of that ruling a bit. No offense, Fast, I almost referenced it myself. :-)

Sony isn't going after GeoHot for hacking his console. They know they don't have a leg to stand on w/ that angle. They are going after him because he joined and used PSN and by doing so promised not to hack or modify his console.

They're trying to sue him for violating the TOS agreement for PSN and recover damages for the money they lost by him posting the keys. They say they're going after Fail0verflow, but again, they don't have a leg to stand on. Those guys may have hacked the console, but they don't have PSN accounts promising they won't and they haven't violated any TOS. Their non-PSN'ed PS3's never signed them up for the law suit.

Posting "illegal numbers", isn't BTW. Ask Hollywood about the DVD key.

Void your warranty? Yes. Charge you for removal of hacks? Yes. Brick your console because you ran homebrew? No. Brick your console because you ran ROMz? No.

Windows "Genuine Advantage" would, most certainly at minimum, remove Windows (but not your data) from your HD if it detected a invalid license if that were true. And if the fear mongers were right, it would render your hardware that you were running your pirated copy of Windows on unusable/broken/destroyed. I'm not a MS fan boy, but if anyone has the lawyers to make that case, MS does. There isn't a company on the planet that has their software pirated more than MS. If it were even remotely legal to brick your stuff because you used an "unauthorized device/software" on it, it would have already been done...

Instead they just ban you from their online services.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
Sony isn't going after GeoHot for hacking his console. They know they don't have a leg to stand on w/ that angle. They are going after him because he joined and used PSN and by doing so promised not to hack or modify his console.
Sony is after GeoHot primarily because he released PS3 encryption keys (allows CFW to be signed), which is an intellectual property.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
bigpaws said:
no, it's like saying that if i stab nintendo they will cut my head off
two wrongs don't make a right and piracy does not make allowable the destruction of a console you paid money for

also, that DirectTV story was epic
tongue.gif

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
caffolote said:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=153665

GoNintendo just confirmed that using a flashcart WILL brick your 3DS. Even Nintendo made notice here. Things just got interesting
rolleyes.gif
That's the same article everyone else is reading or has read and speaking of... You've posted nothing new just to let you know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte