Blight

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm a bit confused with the thoughts on this subject. It's not so much about wether nintendo is allowed to brick your system intentionally at all. If you use an licenced(by nintendo) device and your device breaks everyone agrees that it's your own damn fault for using this device. Nintendo can cause their product to fail when used with third party hardware. For instance, they release a system update that completes successfully on their own cartridges. However it fails on third party hardware and causes a brick. Updates causing bricks have happened before and obviously this is the users own fault.

If you want to see everything in a darker shade you could think that Nintendo could design their updates to start causing bricks. Offcourse this might be illegal again and also having bricked consoles show up would probably be bad for Nintendo. They've got a reputation for making stable hardware. But again I do not think this is the issue at all. The 3DS has probably been designed with anti-piracy in mind(My opinion). Anti piracy protection doesn't require Nintendo to break your console, you just do it yourself. The entire idea of anti-piracy systems is to make the product stop working if it's obtained illegaly, in other words, break the product for those illegitimate users. Usually this is in the form of a game not booting, but this is a choice. The effects of an anti piracy system could cause a more permanent result. This is not done by Nintendo at all. You plugged the wrong device in the 3DS, even though it says that doing so may cause it to stop functioning. How could Nintendo ever be considered to have bricked your system if a device you're using causes the device to stop functioning. It's not like Nintendo sees which users are pirating and starts bricking those devices. The 3DS bricks from a bad reaction to the hardware you're using.

Obviously this raises a question, would Nintendo design their system to fail when used with unlicenced devices? Putting aside the obvious chance of this being illegal, I don't think Nintendo wants this themselves at all. But they might be pressured by software designers to fight piracy more extremely.

In my opinion the situation hasn't changed abit. Using unlicenced hardware can break your system. This has always been the case, it's just in the manual now. I doubt it's going to affect anything. I like the modifications for the GBA/DS. I used to watch movies on my GBA Movie Player, I loved the TV tuner for the GBA, even though I never got that one. I also liked being able to call home for free from abroad just because I had my DS with me with a SIP client. But I can do without all of that. Nintendo has suffered from the piracy getting out of control on the DS. I can't talk about the system here without someone saying they can download all the games for free. It's definatly gone way to far. I do vouch for an open world, but there are limits to everything.

*coughs* I got off topic. Ah well who cares! It's a rumor topic anyway!
yaynds.gif

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bigpaws said:
Companies have gotten away with stuff before.

I mean that it is a threat that could be used if the need arises.
They told you not to do it.
You do it.
They have the option to brick your console.

If you break a law, the consequence could be death.
murder is illigal but they can kill you for certian crimes.

scaling this down, pirating several games that leads to bricking is the proportionate to killing several people leading to your death by murder from ther gov.
Murder is illegal. Capital punishment is not.
Pirating is illegal and so is a game company bricking your device.

QUOTE(MakiManPR @ Mar 23 2011, 10:26 AM) What about this?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=findpost&pid=3507353
Your source for that thread is just rehashing what their sources said. Destructoid is making shit up based on tips they've received, having no source on the actual bricking, just that Enterking won't buy 3DS's that have been used for piracy. They're also using GoNintendo as a source, who is also making an enormous leap from "the retailer can check your system logs" to "piracy will brick your 3DS." Basically, all 3 news sites are bullshit, sensationalistic articles that have no business being on the internet because it causes n00b flair-ups, like yours.

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if you take a trip to gonintendo you'll find several news about how you are pure evil if you ever think of playing a super mario bros rom on your phone,so it is all in their interess to spread bullshit about how nintendo is going to eat the soul of your unborn child if you use horrible pirate device,it actualy really kinda ticks me off

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got to take a look at the back of an EU 3DS box today, Super Monkey Ball 3D.
And you know the blurb about "Use of an unauthorised device may render your game unplayable"?
The 3DS has extended that, it says something like "Use of an unauthorised device may render your game or system unplayable"

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
BlueStar said:
I can't believe these warnings have been given so much credence by games sites, Sony claimed that third party controllers would brick PS1s and no-one cared. If this even makes you think twice about fiddling with your system, I'm sorry, you're simple. It's no more ominous than any other ToS warning.

*I ´m not agree with Nintendo, in any way. Trust me*

But, Sony PS1 didn´t even have some kind of "updating system". You couldn´t connect to internet.

PS1´s bios could not be upgraded unless a specific way of "connecting to a updated host" and also "design" could be available. And, plug & unplug hardware onto a older console is not equal as "upgrade system libraries" because there´s a latent possibility of success in this one, consider the AT&T agreements, wifi, and stuff.

So, I really don´t know now if this could become either true or not, but the possibility of "disabling vital functions" on a 3DS gets stronger now due to a more sophisticated/affordable system. (Which we barely know, now)

D

Deleted User

I believe a japanese retailer was saying "we will not refund you if you have used a flashcart on your 3DS"

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I got to take a look at the back of an EU 3DS box today, Super Monkey Ball 3D.
And you know the blurb about "Use of an unauthorised device may render your game unplayable"?
The 3DS has extended that, it says something like "Use of an unauthorised device may render your game or system unplayable"

Pretty sure they've had blurbs -including the line about making systems unplayable- in the back of game manuals since at least as far back as the SNES, maybe even some of the later NES games. It's a scare tactic.

Emeraldman94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course nintendo could do it. If you accept their policy they can do whatever. No one sued when ea shut down servers as they had the right to according to the warnings. Also nintendo bricked wiis with the error 004 or 003 Or whatever it was. The update was made purposely to brick. They have the right to so don't be surprised when they do. Cuz in order to get the update u must accept the policy. Do Not hack get over it!!!
biggrin.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiluver135 said:
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/proof-nintendo-...-want-you-to-do

Derp! We're all FAWKED!
KingVamp said:
caffolote said:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=153665

GoNintendo just confirmed that using a flashcart WILL brick your 3DS. Even Nintendo made notice here. Things just got interesting
Even then (as if it was new) it sounds like your flashcart will brick the device not Nintendo.

Putting *will* there is a scare tactic.

I think I seen things like that before.

Would you even think twice about the warning if they said could or would in there?

QUOTE(Emeraldman94 @ Mar 23 2011, 12:45 PM)
Of course nintendo could do it. If you accept their policy they can do whatever. No one sued when ea shut down servers as they had the right to according to the warnings. Also nintendo bricked wiis with the error 004 or 003 Or whatever it was. The update was made purposely to brick. They have the right to so don't be surprised when they do. Cuz in order to get the update u must accept the policy. Do Not hack get over it!!!
biggrin.gif
You can't do illegal stuff for illegal stuff whether it stated or not. Again it got brick because of a firmware change/flaw, they didn't remotely brick it.
No it wasn't, no they can't.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dicamarques said:
How is it possible to 3DS detect if we are using a nintendo bactery or not?

You can put a chip on the battery that sends an ID. For instance, my Sony camcorder knows weather it has a Sony battery in it or not. Of course, it still works with the energizer camcorder battery.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
You know, I don't even understand why people are still saying this is even possible.

Like Rydian has stated many, many times... It's ILLEGAL do do this in some countries.

Whoever still is saying that flashcarts will brick can just live in fear and not bother ever playing their DS flashcart on their 3DS.

vandawn

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i am buying my 3ds on launch day
if iedge card wont be working on it i will trade mine for my friend's r4i gold which works atm

SO I WILL BE USING A FLASH CARD ON THE MOMENT I REMOVE THE PAPER FROM THE BOX.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am always cautious with things.
i dont take risks on my expensive stuff.
im not going to use my cart until i can garentee that nothing will happen
I still believe nintendo could get away with something that hinders your system.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just sold a TV for $200 and made a pre order at game stop, i plan on using my AK2i flash cart because the worst they can do is disable online play/functions and if the 3ds is ever truly hacked they will have ways of reverting this.

Jayc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm just wondering about Rydian's second post, specifically the part about the software being licensed to the end user. Isn't the software provided under a TOS? I understand that the hardware may not be damaged legally since ownership of it has been transferred to you, but the software has merely been licensed, right? As for fraudulent advertising... I read on Wikipedia that all claims of fraudulent advertising in the Sony case was dismissed. Obviously, the DS's OS is a much more integral part of the device than OtherOS ever was, but the ruling makes me less confident about whether lawsuits can really deter Nintendo.

On one hand, it appears that rendering the OS useless constitutes as damage to your device because you can no longer use it as it was intended to. On the other hand, you don't own the OS, so Nntendo can freely modify it. I can't reconcile the two... can anyone clarify?

Namco51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't put any faith in that message. By definition a 3rd party stylus or a pair of headphones would be considered an unlicensed device. Think about the implications of the 3DS having a "self-destruct" button that WILL go off when it detects an "unauthorized" device. Nintendo would not put their install base in such a vulnerable position where a MadKatz accessory or Action Replay device would brick a million 3DSs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning