34c3 hacker conference starts 27th of December, Switch talk slated

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Dec 26, 2017.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    34c3logo.png

The annual European hacker conference known as chaos community congress, aka C3, is set to start tomorrow (27th of December) at time of writing with this year's being 34c3. We often get questions here from those looking to learn to hack things and the talks at such conferences are a fantastic way to learn both the basics and the latest and the greatest techniques.
    Previous years at C3 have included talks on the Wii, PS3, 3ds and many classic consoles as well. This year the Switch is set to have what is known about its security system detailed.

The schedule of talks is called the Fahrplan (it is a German conference and host group, though many talks are in English).
    https://events.ccc.de/congress/2017/Fahrplan/timeline.html
    The times listed are the times in Germany.

The talks are streamed and later made available for download and viewing on youtube, older streams can be viewed right now here and older ones still here. There may also be a stream available for viewing at a hackerspace/makerspace near you. Questions can be asked live over the internet too.

Existing thread about the Switch talk
    Feel free to discuss any other talks in this thread.

What are you looking forward to seeing? Car hacking, Science is broken, chip fabrication and a new technique to defeat ASLR are some of those that immediately stand out here.

34c3-tuwat.png

2. Retinal_FAILURE

Retinal_FAILURE GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Chip fabrication!

3. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If that floats your boat then it is more coming the other way but you might enjoy

That said if the custom chip fab stuff takes off (all the older gate sizes are starting to be repurposed, tooled up for smaller runs and may lead to something like the professional PCB fabrication boom, indeed right now there are a few companies in darkest China offering to turn your FPGA design into a chip) then it could be quite useful to know. I am hoping this talk manages to connect the materials side of things to the circuit design side of things as I don't often see it taught like that and.

4. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    I don't expect some good news (as I'm already "listening" in ReSwitch's Discord) but something nice for my 3.0.0 Switch would be awesome! :)

damiano2712 likes this.
  5. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    Any link for the live stream ?
    Their talk will be much more detailed.

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    DPRK consumer tech is one that grabbed me immediate attention.

Pacheko17 likes this.
  7. th3joker

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    just give me a ps4 post 1.76 fw hack of anything and ill be happy. even tho i have a spare ps4 on 1.75 id like to hack the one i use

8. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    is there a sony talk? plz say theres a way to hack a superslim -puts away wallet for sony-

9. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Woof

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    *memchunkhax2 flashbacks*

kprovost7314 likes this.
  10. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    any 3ds talk on the horizon?

11. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Woof

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    The 3DS is as hacked as it can be, there's nothing left to hack. We have access to literally every part of the system lol

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, it's time they move on something new lol

13. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
  14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    there are a few other interesting talks. I don't know if they will all be streamed or available later (youtube or other). If they are streamed, I won't have time to watch them live.

15. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    According to https://events.ccc.de/congress/2017/wiki/index.php/Static:Streams
    https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/8440.html is the only one not set to be streamed, somewhat fewer than recent times (though in those cases many of those were still available from direct links/torrents).
    Their youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/user/mediacccde/featured?disable_polymer=1 ) has everything from the last few years and is pretty quick on the uploads too during the event these days.

Arck and Cyan like this.
  16. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    There's a typo; you called the schedule the "Farhplan", which doesn't mean anything. It should be "Fahrplan" (timetable/driving plan, literally)

17. SwitchNOW

SwitchNOW GBAtemp Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Italy
    "my ears are ready"

[​IMG]

epickid37 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Hope I catch it live, I'm usually terrible with timezones (Uk time here)

19. Bungee_Cord

Bungee_Cord Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem very legal to me. This is basically promoting the hacking of current-gen consoles, including Nintendo consoles. As we all know, nintendo has been shown to take action against hackers at various points, like banning 3ds hackers from using online. Maybe hacking is less taboo in Europe?

20. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Modifications are absolutely legal in the EU, you're allowed to do whatever you want to a device as long as you own it. And missing here in the US isn't illegal, but piracy is, and Nintendo is allowed to ban whoever they want from their own servers if they're cheating

Ryccardo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice