34c3 hacker conference starts 27th of December, Switch talk slated

34c3logo.png

The annual European hacker conference known as chaos community congress, aka C3, is set to start tomorrow (27th of December) at time of writing with this year's being 34c3. We often get questions here from those looking to learn to hack things and the talks at such conferences are a fantastic way to learn both the basics and the latest and the greatest techniques.
Previous years at C3 have included talks on the Wii, PS3, 3ds and many classic consoles as well. This year the Switch is set to have what is known about its security system detailed.

The schedule of talks is called the Fahrplan (it is a German conference and host group, though many talks are in English).
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2017/Fahrplan/timeline.html
The times listed are the times in Germany.

The talks are streamed and later made available for download and viewing on youtube, older streams can be viewed right now here and older ones still here. There may also be a stream available for viewing at a hackerspace/makerspace near you. Questions can be asked live over the internet too.

Existing thread about the Switch talk
Feel free to discuss any other talks in this thread.

What are you looking forward to seeing? Car hacking, Science is broken, chip fabrication and a new technique to defeat ASLR are some of those that immediately stand out here.

34c3-tuwat.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chip fabrication!
If that floats your boat then it is more coming the other way but you might enjoy

That said if the custom chip fab stuff takes off (all the older gate sizes are starting to be repurposed, tooled up for smaller runs and may lead to something like the professional PCB fabrication boom, indeed right now there are a few companies in darkest China offering to turn your FPGA design into a chip) then it could be quite useful to know. I am hoping this talk manages to connect the materials side of things to the circuit design side of things as I don't often see it taught like that and.

th3joker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just give me a ps4 post 1.76 fw hack of anything and ill be happy. even tho i have a spare ps4 on 1.75 id like to hack the one i use

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there are a few other interesting talks. I don't know if they will all be streamed or available later (youtube or other). If they are streamed, I won't have time to watch them live.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if they will all be streamed or available later (youtube or other). If they are streamed, I won't have time to watch them live.
According to https://events.ccc.de/congress/2017/wiki/index.php/Static:Streams
https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/8440.html is the only one not set to be streamed, somewhat fewer than recent times (though in those cases many of those were still available from direct links/torrents).
Their youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/user/mediacccde/featured?disable_polymer=1 ) has everything from the last few years and is pretty quick on the uploads too during the event these days.

Reactions: Arck and Cyan

Bungee_Cord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem very legal to me. This is basically promoting the hacking of current-gen consoles, including Nintendo consoles. As we all know, nintendo has been shown to take action against hackers at various points, like banning 3ds hackers from using online. Maybe hacking is less taboo in Europe?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem very legal to me. This is basically promoting the hacking of current-gen consoles, including Nintendo consoles. As we all know, nintendo has been shown to take action against hackers at various points, like banning 3ds hackers from using online. Maybe hacking is less taboo in Europe?
Modifications are absolutely legal in the EU, you're allowed to do whatever you want to a device as long as you own it. And missing here in the US isn't illegal, but piracy is, and Nintendo is allowed to ban whoever they want from their own servers if they're cheating

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water