Hardware 3 Red rings of death on my original Xbox 360 after 5+ years of not in use

NRamos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hello everyone! I just took out my Xbox 360 after more than 5 years of not in use and plugged in all the original cables that it came with (They are in very good condition). When I turn my Xbox 360 on the power bank light display is colored orange and my Xbox 360 displays 3 red rings and does not turn on to the TV. What could be the possible problem in this case?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's possibly the power brick. if the system doesn't get enough power, like if the power cable isn't plugged in all the way, it will give a fake rrod.

NRamos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
it's possibly the power brick. if the system doesn't get enough power, like if the power cable isn't plugged in all the way, it will give a fake rrod.
Alright, I will get soon another power supply brick from a friend and try if that works. I will post more updates on how it goes sooner or later.
Thank you very much for the help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thank you for the help!

Reactions: SaulFabre

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are different power bricks, since different versions of the system use a different amount of wattage. they're bc with the earliest (all phats are at least).

JackFrostSMT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the secondary error code for the 3 red rings.

https://www.tech-faq.com/xbox-360-error-codes.html
That site is very outdated and has false info (ex. 0002 is actually cpu vcore rail shorted). https://errors.octalsconsoleshop.com/ This guy has years of experience and repair, he's the one to go to for up-to-date information about all things 360.

Don't know if this help but i've found a video of restoration of the Xbox 360 which had the same 3-red rings of death, here:

Greetings ;)

That video shows the "bolt mod" "fix". I put fix in quotes because while it does give a few months of life at most, its not a real fix. It's just a band-aid that will eventually fall off, so-to-speak. Real fix would be to replace the GPU entirely, but not many people have the $1000+ equipment to do that.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That site is very outdated and has false info (ex. 0002 is actually cpu vcore rail shorted). https://errors.octalsconsoleshop.com/ This guy has years of experience and repair, he's the one to go to for up-to-date information about all things 360.

That video shows the "bolt mod" "fix". I put fix in quotes because while it does give a few months of life at most, its not a real fix. It's just a band-aid that will eventually fall off, so-to-speak. Real fix would be to replace the GPU entirely, but not many people have the $1000+ equipment to do that.
I actually have an Achi IR SC Pro and Aoyue 866. The point wasn't for the repair information, it was to look at the process to read the secondary error codes because I didn't feel like typing out the same information that's been repeated about 17 billion times on the internet. And as for the go to repair site, that was taken down. It was actually Team Xecuter's site. Se7ensins still has a decent forum, but nothing is comparable to the amount of diagnostic and repair information that was on Team Xecuters Xbox 360 forums. Idk how much, if any got saved in any archives but that would be the place to look, for just about anything non-Winchester. Octal was on that forum and might've been staff or a dev iirc.

NRamos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Check the secondary error code for the 3 red rings.

https://www.tech-faq.com/xbox-360-error-codes.html
Updates (October 20th 2021) I just got a new working power brick (Before I purchased, the seller showed me with proof that it displayed green light on his working Xbox 360), some members that posted here suggested that my old power brick may be bad so I did that first. But unfortunately, that did not work. It still displays 3 red rings (Photos included) I disassembled the entire Xbox 360 console until I got to the mother board (It was very dirty and dusty, especially in the 2 fans I had to remove them by disconnecting them from the board (they even had spyderweb on both the fans. I cleaned them up, then used a can of air to get as much dust from the mother board. I cleaned and applied a new layer of thermal paste on both of the spots it needed CPU and GPU I think thats the name. I cleaned as much as I could, reassembled everything and plugged in the working cables. So Far I still have the 3 red rings and my error code right now is 0001 (It shows all 4 red rings 3 times, then the fourth time it displays the top left ring. So if im not mistaken, thats exactly
the error code I have right now. What do I have to do now?
try replacing the power brick. it should display green when it's on. is it orange when it's off?

Attachments

• 20211020_151505.jpg
    20211020_151505.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • 20211020_151511.jpg
    20211020_151511.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
  • 20211020_151505.jpg
    20211020_151505.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 20211020_151511.jpg
    20211020_151511.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 49

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just looked up that error. says faults psu, but you've replaced that. the other possibility is a short circuit, so something must be wrong with the input probably. does the new power brick show green when it's on and orange when it's off?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
12v power issue, and you've replaced the power brick already. Try booting without the dvd drive plugged in. Might be shorted or something, but not likely. Sounds like a blown cap or mosfet. If you see a capacitor thats swollen and blown up, replace it. Other wise you'll have to component test to find the culprit.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over