3-in-1 battery appears dead

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by granville, Nov 4, 2008.

1. granville
    OP

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Naples, Florida
    After about a year since I bought it, it looks like my EZ-Flash 3-in-1 battery bit the dust. Every time I start Rudolph's loader, it asks to use the expansion pack (like it does if it's you're first time using it). The games won't retain their saves if I turn the DS off and I can't load my savegames from the microSD in slot-1 (or back them up from the 3-in-1 since they apparently aren't saving). Are these things SUPPOSED to die after only a year of use? [​IMG]

Now I can still write games and play them fine, but I can't save at all. I can also use the rumble and memory for the browser and some homebrew. But I really cherish the use of my GBA games.

All in all, I'd like a new card like this. I don't care about rumble as I never use it. I had a couple in mind:

Ewin
    M3 Real expansion

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it. And do the batteries last any longer on these?

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    buy a new one or replace the battery, those are your 2 obvious options.

3. granville
    OP

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Naples, Florida
    I might just buy a new one. It's pretty cheap.

4. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    I'm on my 4th 3in1, after this one dies I will be replacing the batteries on all of them since it is now cheaper to do that.

5. Narin

Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

Former Staff
    Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    The batteries cost around 4-5$ each and they need to be soldered in. Soldering tin costs around 4-20$ depending on the type and size of the roll you get and a soldering gun can be around 5-50$ depending on the type you get as well.

If you already have a soldering gun and the soldering tin/roll, then its cheaper to manually replace the battery yourself, otherwise I suggest just getting a new 3 in 1.

6. granville
    OP

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Naples, Florida
    I don't have a soldering gun and on top of that, I have VERY shakey hands. [​IMG]

I'll just get a new 3-in-1 since they are only about $20. I just asked about the other cards to see if their batteries were any better.

7. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    Correct, furthermore if your 3in1 is GBA sized and you don't like rumble you can rip the motor out and make room for a CR1620 which lasts twice as long(3 years).