Hacking 3.4 => 4.0 then adding USB loader

Talltexan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So currently i am using 3.4 with twilight hack and wii gator however it has its limitations and i have an ipod 5'th gen with a cracked screen useless for an ipod now and so i am going to use it as a Mass media device for my USB loader. I am going to use Banner bomb to upgrade to 4.0 however before that i need to know what i need to do to my ipod. I have already restored it. Is anyone using a Ipod if so what do i need to do to format it or do i just throw the images on the ipod. I have done search after search on this forum and come up empty handed. Please if anyone can help even if its just pointing me to a thread i would appreciate it.

TeXan

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
if windows picks it up as a mass storage device your in look as it can be formated using a WBFS Manager here pick one its up to u

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/WBFS_Managers

as for a guide check my sig for updating to 4.1 safely and still allowing usb and disk loaders

P.S..

you dont use bannerbomb to update to 4.0 its only needed to install the homebrew channel which the guide will explain it all to u as long as you stick to it and dont think nah ill not do that one cause u might brick your wii.

P.S..

its a full guide from backing up nand to installing preloader, so every tool youll need including bootmii

Talltexan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pepxl said:
if windows picks it up as a mass storage device your in look as it can be formated using a WBFS Manager here pick one its up to u

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/WBFS_Managers

as for a guide check my sig for updating to 4.1 safely and still allowing usb and disk loaders

P.S..

you dont use bannerbomb to update to 4.0 its only needed to install the homebrew channel which the guide will explain it all to u as long as you stick to it and dont think nah ill not do that one cause u might brick your wii.

P.S..

its a full guide from backing up nand to installing preloader, so every tool youll need including bootmii

cant seem to get my ipod to format or take the images, what usb device do you say is the best for this type of thing?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen plenty of people getting it working with iPods, though. Try using GParted to partition and format the drive first. Instructions to do so are in my tutorial here.

Talltexan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spidy1000 said:
Just get an external harddrive and everything will be fine

I have looked at the compatibility list however i cant seem to find one that i like, I have a Coolmax however it states it is uncompilable, I have an old IBM 80gig however i cant find stats on the IBM anywhere. Any sugestions of a good cheap external HDD enclosure? do any of the Ibooks work or anything?

QUOTE(Dr. Clipper @ Aug 3 2009, 03:11 AM) I've seen plenty of people getting it working with iPods, though. Try using GParted to partition and format the drive first. Instructions to do so are in my tutorial here.

I have paragon partition manager they say its basically the same thing right?

Talltexan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Talltexan said:
I have paragon partition manager they say its basically the same thing right?
Any partition manager should do, but just be careful you don't wipe your main drive.

should i just partition it with a Fat 32 all but the main drive.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Talltexan said:
By "main drive" I mean your PC's drive. Be very careful to check file sizes and so on. And you may want to check that page I linked for suggestions on how to partition your drive. You probably want to have at least a small partition on there as FAT in case you want to remove your dependence on SD cards later on, and just create an unformatted partition for your Wii data. That seems to be the best way to get your chosen USB Loader to recognise and format your partition.

Talltexan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Talltexan said:
By "main drive" I mean your PC's drive. Be very careful to check file sizes and so on. And you may want to check that page I linked for suggestions on how to partition your drive. You probably want to have at least a small partition on there as FAT in case you want to remove your dependence on SD cards later on, and just create an unformatted partition for your Wii data. That seems to be the best way to get your chosen USB Loader to recognise and format your partition.
Downloaded WBFSManager3.0.1-RTW-x86 and installed it , well it failed all three times , the other WBFS that idownload fail whenever i try and install them on my ipod........ help!

Spidy1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Talltexan said:
Dr. Clipper said:
Talltexan said:
Downloaded WBFSManager3.0.1-RTW-x86 and installed it , well it failed all three times , the other WBFS that idownload fail whenever i try and install them on my ipod........ help!

You install wbfs manager on your computer and then use it to format 1 off the primary partitions on your external drive to WBFS. Then you can use WBFS manager to add games to the drive. If wbfs manager cannot find your external then you need to get a better drive.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Spidy1000 said:
You install wbfs manager on your computer and then use it to format 1 off the primary partitions on your external drive to WBFS. Then you can use WBFS manager to add games to the drive. If wbfs manager cannot find your external then you need to get a better drive.
Not necessarily. You don't need a WBFS manager at all. Every USB Loader has the ability to format the drive. Just use one of those. Rip your own disc via the Wii and you have a complete solution, as long as you're not a pirate.

Talltexan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Spidy1000 said:
Not necessarily. You don't need a WBFS manager at all. Every USB Loader has the ability to format the drive. Just use one of those. Rip your own disc via the Wii and you have a complete solution, as long as you're not a pirate.
before i update i just want to make sure my ipod will work thats why i want to find a WBFS loader to install .

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Talltexan said:
before i update i just want to make sure my ipod will work thats why i want to find a WBFS loader to install .
In that case, try WBFSgui and make sure you run as Administrator if you're using Vista or Win 7.

Talltexan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Talltexan said:
In that case, try WBFSgui and make sure you run as Administrator if you're using Vista or Win 7.

Not really sure what im doing wrong, I have formatted my Ipod the only option i had was NTFS and whenever i open it up on my paragon manager it is unable to format my ipod to Fat32 as well as the GUI that you gave me whenever i try and erase and int drive WBFS partition initialized then whenever i select one of my images that my friend ripped of my game for me (because im still a n00b) i get Cannot open WBFS partition and unfortunately my friend and his wife moved and so he cannot help me. please help
frown.gif

Talltexan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bah im getting very frustrated I just need someone to tell me the best way get a USB for the drive. What is the best cost effective i only need 80 gigs or so , i was going to use my ipod because the screens busted but seems as if i get a write error and whenever i use WBFSgui it just tells me initialized and never goes any further so i cant even see if i can put any of my games on the Hard drive. I dont want to upgrade till i know i will be able to play my back up games. or if someone can point me in the direction of a step by step tutorial from start to finish.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy