Hacking 3,2E or 4,0 WAN

j0k3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hi @ all, is it better to keep my 3,2E or better make the upgrade to 4,0 with wankis upgrader?

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
depends. if you want the new features (sd card menu) or if you want to run the newest Wiiware/VC games , youre gonna need the IOS's that come with 4.0 (can be used on 3.2, but you have to install those then).

If done properly, theres no down side to updating to 4.0 other than that you lose the ability to install the Twilight hack and Homebrew channel. If those are deleted on 4.0, youre screwed.

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
Don Killah said:
stick to 3.2

Yes, I agree. I updated to 4.0 but see little advantage apart from games you can add to SD; anyway must of these can work from an emulator. (So I downgraded again) Of course 3.2 a bit safer too. Compatibility also better with CIOSCORP I find.

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im using 4.0e, full compatibility, everything the same as I had it on 3.4, everything working, including cioscorp (wii and gamecube backups from disk channel).

since I use the SD card menu, Im really glad I updated. If youre never ever going to use that and dont want to use newer VC stuff/Wiiwares, nevermind updating. If you feel you havent got enough wii blocks, using the sd card menu may help.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apekop said:
Im using 4.0e, full compatibility, everything the same as I had it on 3.4, everything working, including cioscorp (wii and gamecube backups from disk channel).

since I use the SD card menu, Im really glad I updated. If youre never ever going to use that and dont want to use newer VC stuff/Wiiwares, nevermind updating. If you feel you havent got enough wii blocks, using the sd card menu may help.

I too have made the upgrade to 4.0(U), and am -very- glad I did, just because of the SD menu... and it's just as safe as 3.2... you've got just as much brick protection as ever with Preloader 0.29. Also, if you are smart and upgrade via Waninkoko's updater instead of via Nintendo, your old IOSes are left alone, which can be great. For example, I wanted USB2.0 support in MPlayer-CE, but was told repeatedly that the old dvdx installer with advanced options only works in 3.2, so I thought I'd have to downgrade. What I wasn't told was that this rule doesn't apply IF you updated via Waninkoko. Fortunately, I gave it a shot before going through the downgrade/install/upgrade hassle, and it worked like a charm.

If you don't like 4.0, you can always go back to 3.2 (of course, this is assuming you've got a cIOS / HBC installed). The ONLY drawback to 4.0 is that you're kinda screwed if you somehow manage to accidentally delete your HBC. Just don't get so drunk that you can't see what you're deleting, and you'll be all set.

Oh, and if you actually want to USE the SD menu for anything other than official Shop purchases, then remember to patch your IOS60.

Moritz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there a safe recovery tool that works with 4.0 to prevent from bricking?

I updated to 4.0 trought nintendo, but first I had installed cios 36 and after I installed cios60 to make the wads work from sd card menu.

Moritz

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Moritz said:
Is there a safe recovery tool that works with 4.0 to prevent from bricking?

I updated to 4.0 trought nintendo, but first I had installed cios 36 and after I installed cios60 to make the wads work from sd card menu.

Moritz
Preloader 0.29 is safe and reliable and once set right it works like charm
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1