3,2E or 4,0 WAN

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by j0k3r, May 4, 2009.

May 4, 2009

3,2E or 4,0 WAN by j0k3r at 1:13 PM (1,136 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. j0k3r
    OP

Member j0k3r GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    hi @ all, is it better to keep my 3,2E or better make the upgrade to 4,0 with wankis upgrader?

2. Apekop

Member Apekop GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    depends. if you want the new features (sd card menu) or if you want to run the newest Wiiware/VC games , youre gonna need the IOS's that come with 4.0 (can be used on 3.2, but you have to install those then).

If done properly, theres no down side to updating to 4.0 other than that you lose the ability to install the Twilight hack and Homebrew channel. If those are deleted on 4.0, youre screwed.

3. Don Killah

Member Don Killah GBAtemp Maniac

France
    stick to 3.2

4. Patryc

Member Patryc GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yes, I agree. I updated to 4.0 but see little advantage apart from games you can add to SD; anyway must of these can work from an emulator. (So I downgraded again) Of course 3.2 a bit safer too. Compatibility also better with CIOSCORP I find.

5. Apekop

Member Apekop GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Im using 4.0e, full compatibility, everything the same as I had it on 3.4, everything working, including cioscorp (wii and gamecube backups from disk channel).

since I use the SD card menu, Im really glad I updated. If youre never ever going to use that and dont want to use newer VC stuff/Wiiwares, nevermind updating. If you feel you havent got enough wii blocks, using the sd card menu may help.

6. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I too have made the upgrade to 4.0(U), and am -very- glad I did, just because of the SD menu... and it's just as safe as 3.2... you've got just as much brick protection as ever with Preloader 0.29. Also, if you are smart and upgrade via Waninkoko's updater instead of via Nintendo, your old IOSes are left alone, which can be great. For example, I wanted USB2.0 support in MPlayer-CE, but was told repeatedly that the old dvdx installer with advanced options only works in 3.2, so I thought I'd have to downgrade. What I wasn't told was that this rule doesn't apply IF you updated via Waninkoko. Fortunately, I gave it a shot before going through the downgrade/install/upgrade hassle, and it worked like a charm.

If you don't like 4.0, you can always go back to 3.2 (of course, this is assuming you've got a cIOS / HBC installed). The ONLY drawback to 4.0 is that you're kinda screwed if you somehow manage to accidentally delete your HBC. Just don't get so drunk that you can't see what you're deleting, and you'll be all set.

Oh, and if you actually want to USE the SD menu for anything other than official Shop purchases, then remember to patch your IOS60.

7. Moritz

Newcomer Moritz Member

Brazil
    Is there a safe recovery tool that works with 4.0 to prevent from bricking?

I updated to 4.0 trought nintendo, but first I had installed cios 36 and after I installed cios60 to make the wads work from sd card menu.

Moritz

8. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    Preloader 0.29 is safe and reliable and once set right it works like charm [​IMG]