Hacking 3.1-3.4 Twilight/Downgrade/Gamma Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartdogwc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for such detailed tutorial. But I dont have good luck as other guys. My Wii has 3.4U firmware and I managed to install the first two wads. When I tried to load IOS Downgrader, my Wii always rebooted. I dont know if I did something wrong in previous steps: I chose the second version of saved data in Zelda, was it right? I also updated Homebrew channel to v1.1. Will this cause any problem? Did anyone experience similar problem as me? Could someone kindly give some hints for me to move forward? tons of thanks!

D

Deleted User

jac said:
Hi,

Followed the guide through and it worked perfectly.

One thing I did want to check was:

Slowking said:
Nice one. Imo you should add a step for installing the twilight hack again after they've downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2. How I know these Noobs they will go wild with wads after they've downgraded and eventually brick their Wiis. So they should really have the twilight hack on there...

I went from 3.3E to 3.2E, is this necessary?

Thanks!

Yes, this is absolutely necessary ONLY IF you are installing a lot of WADs and you don't have a modchip.
If you have a modchip, however, get yourself an auto booting WAD Manager ISO. Search around here.

jac

Trophies
XP
Country
afif95 said:
jac said:
Slowking said:
Nice one. Imo you should add a step for installing the twilight hack again after they've downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2. How I know these Noobs they will go wild with wads after they've downgraded and eventually brick their Wiis. So they should really have the twilight hack on there...

Thanks!

Yes, this is absolutely necessary ONLY IF you are installing a lot of WADs and you don't have a modchip.
If you have a modchip, however, get yourself an auto booting WAD Manager ISO. Search around here.

Many thanks for the response. Even though I don't plan on installing many WADs, I'd prefer to be safe so I'll do this ASAP.

Are there any other precautions you recommend taking for people with no mod-chip?

(Maybe something I should have on my SD card for emergencies? Currently I just have the contents of EmperorOfCanada's ZIP from this guide on there...)

D

Deleted User

jac said:
afif95 said:
jac said:
Slowking said:

Thanks!

Many thanks for the response. Even though I don't plan on installing many WADs, I'd prefer to be safe so I'll do this ASAP.

Are there any other precautions you recommend taking for people with no mod-chip?

(Maybe something I should have on my SD card for emergencies? Currently I just have the contents of EmperorOfCanada's ZIP from this guide on there...)

Get AnyTitle Deleter. Never mess with it unless instructed.

Tagged you as "Quite informative, just has a bit rough edges"

You're all good.

milkmanchris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Now I am really stuck

Loaders are just giving the no dvd error or 324 read error.

I only wanted the loader for the games that wont play through the disc channel on my wiikey.

I am unable to install cios_fix.wad it returns the error code -1029

Where do i start?

D

Deleted User

You have cIOS37 installed.
Remove it by using cios uninstaller, and install cios_fix and follow the guide. DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS.

cios uninstaller:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9BE92MCG

How to use:

Rename the .dol into boot.dol.
Put the file into a folder called "cIOS_Uninstaller".
Put the folder into the apps folder.
Load it using HBC.
Paydirt.

theman060606

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be attempting this process to get my 3.3u wii with HBC and wiigator beta loader fixed so that I end up with a 3.2U wii with the gamma loader and starfall. I got to this point by following the steps outlined by '_running_pir8. It appears his instructions have changed since I used them since they no longer recommend updating to 3.3 as part of the process. It seems like some of the steps I performed are the same as the steps outlined in this guide. Here are the steps I followed:

Step 1 – Install the ‘Homebrew Channel’ onto your Wii.

Step 2 – Update to the latest Wii Firmware.

Step 3 – Download this file and install the contents inside the ‘Wii Fix Tools’ to your SD Card.

NOTE: You will need to locate 'IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad' yourself and place it inside the 'WAD' folder. Just google it.

Step 4 – Using the ‘Homebrew Channel’, open ‘WAD Manager 3’.

Step 5 – Press ‘A’ on the Wii Mote once. The Wii should detect a SD Card. Press ‘A’ again to see a list of WADs on the SD Card. Use the ‘D-Pad’ to select ‘IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad’. Press the ’+’ to install the WAD. Once it has installed the WAD, press the ‘Home’ button to restart you Wii.

Step 6 – Using the ‘Homebrew Channel’, open ‘Custom WM’. Now using the same method as in ‘Step 5’, install the ‘cios_fix.wad’. Once it has installed the WAD, press the ‘Home’ button to restart you Wii.

NOTE: If that fails to install, just use 'Wad Manager 3'.

Step 7 – Using the ‘Homebrew Channel’, open ‘IOS Downgrader’. Just follow the instructions and wait until it finishes installing the necessary IOSs.

NOTE: You're Wii does require connection to the Internet otherwise it won't work. Same for the next step.
If you do have a Internet connection and you get errors while it's installing the IOSs, just restart the Wii and try again.

Step 8 - Using the ‘Homebrew Channel’, open ‘Install Shop IOS51’. Say ‘Yes’ to installing the ‘IOS51’ and ‘Yes’ to patching a fix but ‘No’ to the ‘Wii Shop Channel’ (it shouldn’t matter if you install but it won’t make any difference).

Step 9 - Using the ‘Homebrew Channel’, open ‘WAD Manager 3’.

Step 10 – Now you should be able to install WADs. Try installing the ‘WAD MANAGER V3.wad’ (use this channel to install any WADs in the furture) and ‘Wii Gator.wad’. Other apps should also work as well such as ‘AnyRegion Changer’.

Can I skip any steps in this guide that appear to be the same as what I have done? If so, which steps should I skip? Thanks very much.

D

Deleted User

theman060606 said:
I will be attempting this process to get my 3.3u wii with HBC and wiigator beta loader fixed so that I end up with a 3.2U wii with the gamma loader and starfall. I got to this point by following the steps outlined by '_running_pir8. It appears his instructions have changed since I used them since they no longer recommend updating to 3.3 as part of the process. It seems like some of the steps I performed are the same as the steps outlined in this guide. Here are the steps I followed:

theman060606

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I guess using the word "fixed" was a mistake. What I did to my wii so far is installed HBC, upgraded to 3.3U, and loaded the wiigator beta launcher channel (all per a_running_pir8's instructions). Most of my backups launch fine but I'd like to increased compatiblilty of the gamma launcher and the safety of Starfall. Some of the early steps I outlined above (installing IOS16-64-v257.wad, load custom WM and install cios_fix.wad, load IOS downgrader, Install Shop IOS51, load WAD manager, etc.) appear to be the same in your guide as the guide I outlined above. Should I skip them or do them over again? Perhaps the most appropriate question would be: should I just start with the cios_downgrader to get to 3.2U, then install Starfall and the gamma loader?
Thanks for your help.

Doles284

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I keep getting the 1035 error when trying to install cios_fix.wad. I have tried using Wad Manager and Custom Wad Manager to install it. IOS16 installed ok.

I have cIOS249 installed from homebrewing, before I did the upgrade to 3.4E. I cannot remove this using cIOS uninstaller. Perhaps AnyTitle Deleter? I thought I'd check before using it.

By the way, Thanks for doing this Emperor and everyone else involved, it is just what I need. Now, if I could just get it to work...

Doles284

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I cannot use AnyTitle Deleter to remove IOS249, I get the error codes along the lines of

"Informing Wii that I am God... Error 1017". (Before I get to the list)

"Ticket delete failed
Can't find tickets -102"
(when trying to remove IOS249)

When I try to use AnyRegion Changer to go back to 3.2E, I get the error codes something like

"Error! ES_identify - 1017"

and

"Error! ES_OpenTitleContent ret 1026

On this, I have noticed that the AnyRegion Changer homebrew app .zip file comes with a "es_opentitlecontent.patch", but I am unsure how to apply this, and if it would even fix my problem.

These do not apply to the tutorial in this thread I know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, aside from all those errors, the real problem is that when following the tutorial, the problem I have is that I cannot install cios_fix.wad with either the WADmanager or Custom WADmanager. So I am stuck at step TWO. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

loukas77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Man this guide is AWESOME!!! I did it yestrerday without a single error! Now i can play backups on my unmodded wii! Oh btw i was on 3.4 and downgraded to 3.2 with no errors or anything! Just followed your awesome guide! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
Oh btw i didn't use Starrfall and everything works. What is it used for? Thanks again!

DonovanMcknee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for this was able to downgrade to 3.2U

got the Ret = -116 error 5 times on cIOS step but reset each time then it worked

EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
loukas77 said:
Man this guide is AWESOME!!! I did it yestrerday without a single error! Now i can play backups on my unmodded wii! Oh btw i was on 3.4 and downgraded to 3.2 with no errors or anything! Just followed your awesome guide! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
Oh btw i didn't use Starrfall and everything works. What is it used for? Thanks again!

Basically is used to help recover from banner bricks (bricks caused by installing bad wads) also is very helpful in blocking disc updates

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(loukas77 @ Dec 18 2008, 05:15 AM)
Man this guide is AWESOME!!! I did it yestrerday without a single error! Now i can play backups on my unmodded wii! Oh btw i was on 3.4 and downgraded to 3.2 with no errors or anything! Just followed your awesome guide! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! Oh btw i didn't use Starrfall and everything works. What is it used for? Thanks again!

Basically is used to help recover from banner bricks (bricks caused by installing bad wads) also is very helpful in blocking disc updates

Does this mean that If I follow this guide and install starfall that games that require updates to play them (most games made by Nintendo) can be played without the update? What about the new wiispeak, will we be able to use this without an update if we have starfall?

medafor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just wanted to thank you for writing this tutorial, i was so skeptical about installing this on our wii, but your instructions along with the emailed download made it a piece of cake.

Diggs09

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Guys, I am having issues with getting this happening.

I am on 3.4 so I am following the downgrade section. I get both wads to run, but then when I try to use the IOS downgrader I get the following error:
Installing Title... ERROR! (ret = -1017)

I have tried all many different fixes butcan seem to get it going. I am sure that it is something simple but I just cant get it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thnks D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, lol his videos are hilarious