Hacking 2GB MicroSD card with SD Adapter for Wii?

games2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys.
I'm going to give my sister my Wii SD card so I'll have to buy myself another one.
I was wondering if a 2GB MicroSD card with an SD Adapter would work with my Wii?
I am unable to test this because the only MicroSD card I have is an 8GB that I use for my DS/PSP, and I don't have the adapter, nor am I past version 4.0 where I would be able to use memory above 2GB.

If anyone is currently using a MicroSD card with SD adapter perfectly fine, please reply here.
Thanks ;D

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
In most cases they work fine, but due to a difference in access protocols between SD & MicroSD, not all cards will function with bootmii. This was the deal breaker for me, safer just to use a normal SD, knowing I can make and restore NAND backups.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
To my knowledge, there is no difference in protocol between micro sd and regular sd cards.
They have just a different form factor.
The adapters used to convert a micro sd into a sd are totally passive.
They just adapt to the other form factor.
There is a difference in protocol between regular sd cards and sdhc cards. If a card has a capacity bigger than 2 Gig, it's almost always an sdhc card.
There also exist non sdhc cards with a capacity of 4 gig.

When I was experimenting with Bootmii, I sometimes had problems with sdhc cards.
This only happened when the bootmii/armboot.bin was launched from bootmii installed as boot2. When I launched the bootmii ios, it worked all the time.
Old system menu's < 4.0 use an ios that is not sdhc compatible as well. For those reasons, a non sdhc card is usually recommended.

Also be aware that sd cards come in different speed factors. The facto standard is c2 (it's usually written on the card as a c with the number 2 in it.) The write speed of a c4 card is twice as fast as the speed of a c2 card. Low Cost cards of unknown origin might not even reach the c2 speed.
The faster the card, the bigger it's price.

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
Normal SD cards have 3 different transfer modes for accessing data written into the specification. MicroSD cards only have to have one of these modes in it's specification, but can support more. BootMii uses one that isn't in the MicroSD spec, so some of the cheaper cards won't function with it.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks Category.
Sorry for pushing it a bit to learn something... Just me being bad.
shy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can