Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
500x_needlemouse.jpg

QUOTE said:
It appears that Sega may actually have been listening. After years and years of (mostly) awful 3D Sonic games, the company is now teasing something called "Project Needlemouse", billed as a return to the Sonic of old.

"Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay" says Sega of America's Ken Balough. "Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots."

The teaser clip's tagline reads "Speed returns, in an all new 2D adventure built from the ground up", with Balough confirming the game will, rather than be a retro-remake, be an all-new game built in HD.

It'll be out in 2010. No word on platforms, but the "HD" bit certainly narrows it down. What do you think, Sega fans? Do you dare to hope?

News Source: Kotaku

Some of the GameSpot Interview...

QUOTEGS: Why did Sega decide to bring Sonic back to 2D? Did the success of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure play a part?

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay. Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.

GS: What can you tell us about the game?

KB: I can tell you it’s a brand new 2D adventure coming out in 2010, it’s in HD, and to definitely stay tuned.

GS: With HD makeovers of classic games being popular right now, can we expect the game to use chunky old school sprites or hi-res HD sprites?

KB: You can definitely expect HD graphics.

No clue what console it will be on. More of the interview here!

News Source: GoNintendo

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
About fucking time, Sega.
Nice seeing, more info Raiyu.
Been wondering when and if sega was planning on ignoring us old school peeps forever.
But the rumors from a few weeks ago were hinting at this, so here's hoping.
biggrin.gif

Reason for edit: Forgot to misuse that comma, find it if you dare >:}

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Rush 3 please or GTFO.

Sonic Unleashed would have been so much better if they just stuck to the daytime missions with Sonic only. Not only do they need to return to their 2d roots, but also kill off all the annoying characters.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
Sonic Rush 3 please or GTFO.

Sonic Unleashed would have been so much better if they just stuck to the daytime missions with Sonic only. Not only do they need to return to their 2d roots, but also kill off all the annoying characters.
And watch them introduce Tailsko XD
I don't think the world can handle that, right?
tongue.gif

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully they won't let the company Dimps do the level design again.
Their level design got worse as they went from Sonic Advance up to Rush Adventure.
Its all about running really fast, so no giant walls, no jumps into giant walls that make you wait, no blocky floors, instead smooth hills to run along, very minimum use of pits of death, very minimum use of "DONT RUN HERE!" platforms, especially ones over a pit of death, special stages, super sonic, and hell, throw all the 20+ chars in it just for the hell of it (with their own super forms :3 ). Don't give em all their own stages, 16 stages or so would be fine enough, just as long as they all RUN on them.

Ya, I have a lot of issues with newer 2D sonic games.
Somehow I doubt it'll really be over the top but it can't be all that bad at least.

I'm gonna take a stab at it and guess that its gonna be a downloadable title. Wiiware, PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, PC versions, etc.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but it'll be nice to see a decent sonic game again.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's about time Sega got back to their senses, now Sega needs to deliver what we all asked for all these years ago and don't disappoint with the next Sonic game.

pieman202

Trophies
XP
Country
even though he would never fit into 2D sonic it'd be nice to see silver again T_T
his levels were the best in sonic the hedgehog despite the game's bad points.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm glad they're making more new from the old. Megaman did it and they succeeded. As long as they follow the formula for a 2-D Sonic game, everything will be juuuust fine.

Also wouldn't mind getting this as a downloadable game.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The latest Sonic games aren't bad just because it's 3D. The Dreamcast games were good being 3D. Mario, Metroid, Bionic Commando are still great being 3D. SEGA just don't know how to handle Sonic anymore.. I won't get my hopes high until I see at least some footage of it.
tongue.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As soon as I saw "Speed returns" in the trailer, my heart sank.
Sega don't get what made the original games so much fun, I'm deeply worried they're going to get it wrong, again.

And it's as if you guys paid ZERO ATTENTION TO THE ADVANCE AND RUSH GAMES.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-