Gaming Hardware Misc 200$ 4K TV vs 500$ 4K TV vs 1000$ 4K TV. What are the Differences?

SaitamX38

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am gonna Work soon and i have a Series X and a 1080p TV but when i Tested in on a 4K one i really have Seen the Differences of the Resolution. So what are the Differences of the all Price categories? Is there a good gaming TV under 500$?

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheaper sets tend to have a worse video scaler, and they're slower if you use the built in smart apps. Since you're just giving a price and literally nothing else, I'm just going to assume 55". Going up in size can raise the price tier even for sets with less features. But regardless,

$200 is going to be a basic 4k TV. It will either be an IPS or VA panel. It won't have local dimming. If it supports HDR, it will do so basically in software. This isn't real HDR, and doesn't really add anything to the picture quality.

The $500 range starts having better built-in scalers and apps. These are nearly all VA panels with Local Dimming. Depending on the brand you get and the number of dimming zones, these can provide a rather decent HDR experience. Some may even start having VRR around $500 to $600. Some may also be entry level QLEDs, which tend to have pretty nice color reproduction. Here, you'll want to look for things like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ (or preferably both, if possible).

The $1000+ range are higher end sets. These are QLED sets with lots of diming zones and OLEDs. Nearly all current sets in this price range should have 120Hz refresh and support VRR. You may have to chose between Dolby Vision (LG/Sony) and HDR10+ (Samsung) if you get an OLED. OLEDs are currently the best looking TVs you can buy, but they can range in price from around $1000 to over $2500.

Reactions: Sylx3

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it depends on the "gaming" features if the tv has any, they could be minimalistic, adequate or completely missing (often the case with non-smart budget tvs). stuff like refresh rate (120hz or just 60hz), input lag are definitely important, hdr and panel type (oled/ qled etc.) and those vary from brand to brand & from model to model..
Also tvs are just like phones, there's the flagship models released each year (they usually cost atleast $1000, definitely more at launch), and the budget line which go around the ~$600/700 mark, depending on where you live. Definitely do your research before choosing/ buying, depending on where you live, you could find some good deals on last year's models. just know what you're looking for in a tv, as well as your budget, to narrow down the window..
And last but not least, expensive doesn't automatically mean that it'll be better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto