1820 - Its Mr. Pants (U)

Shampoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope
it doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft, since they were just making shitty games since DK64

take it back, Banjo Tooie was a very good sequel, and perfect dark, that game was awesome. what the hell are you talking about

blink.gif

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to say the mighty Microsoft had nothing to do with this one, Rare just started to suck all on their own after Goldeneye. Stoopid Banjo-Kazooie, personally was that bid of a fan of Perfect Dark (even though I loved Goldeneye) Never got to play Conkers Bad Fur Day and have to agree that StarFox on the GC was sooo bad in made the system itself look like and feel like shit. I miss the old stuff like battletoads, I would so pull out my dusty XboX for a new battletoads if rare still had it in em. Oh well off to go check out this game now.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Geez... let's see. Firstly, Starfox Adventures was rushed because of the buyout from Microsoft... it was either a rush job or absolutely no game at all, since the game had been in development for a good few years (It was originally called Dinosaur Planet on the N64 before) Rare and Nintendo weren't likely to just chuck everything away. The game has had some harsh comments but it isn't that bad, only the gameplay sucks which isn't any worse than an average third party attempt at Zelda. If anything the game is the perfect example of a rushed product in the industry... everyone moans at Rare for them taking so long with their games but moan just as much if the game turns out to be rubbish, developers can't win to be honest... and people wonder why Nintendo never listens to gamers, lol.

WeaponX - I know where you are coming from but to say Rares releases after Goldeneye sucked having not even played Conkers Bad Fur Day is rather miss-informed.
CBFD was one of the best games on the N64... IGN gave it 9.9/10 in fact. Technically it was absolutely amazing kicking the crap out of anything else on the system and it was a really fun and original platformer to boot.
Oh and the all singing Great Mighty Poo boss is my favourite boss in any game of all time, ever.

The Conker game currently in development for the Xbox will be an update of the original N64 game... from the screens the single player mode looks pretty familiar to the original, but for the multiplayer Rare are going all out with stacks of new and redesigned maps, X-Box live features, new modes and everything... the multiplayer was last said to be online only in fact but Rare said that before the game got delayed until next year, so they could be adding in some bots and stuff for offline play.

To expand on Rare's situation at the moment a little (as opposed to the random Rare sucks or rules comments), I love the company like many and yes these last few years have been extremely dispointing. It's not so much Rare as a company or Microsoft but apparently Rares stupid management who decided to fire many of the experienced or long standing staff and replace them with newly graduates straight from uni, who don't realise the reality of working at Rare; shit pay, crap workplace and long hours. Some existing staff were just leaving because everything was in such a mess down there; very, very few people down at Rare today were responsible for working on titles like Jetpack and Sabre Wulf or even on more recent titles like Conker and Banjo Kazooie.

I'm still looking forward to future Rare releases like Kameo, Conker Live and Reloaded and dare I say it Perfect Dark Zero supposing it ever actually gets released, but the people in the team at Rare behind PDZ will almost all be different to the ones behind PD (because many were fired or left), and the many people behind PD were different to the people involved with Goldeneye (because as we know they fucked off sortly after to form Free Radical Design).

I still side with all those zelaots who said that Rare shouldn't have gone to MS... I'm not particulary bothered whom Rare are working for but at least if they were working for Nintendo we'd actually be seeing something from them ~ the management problems only started when Microsoft brought them out. 1 average game for the Xbox in almost 3 years doesn't really seem like Microsofts $375 Million "investment" was really worth while (Nintendo got around half of that cash as well, heh).

It's good to see yet another GBA game from Rare, but kinda sad when you think Rare have been able to chuck out 5 games for the GBA and only 1 on the Xbox in the same period of time. Microsoft were hoping they'd be releasing 5 every year on the Xbox, lol. I want Rare to rush but there is such a thing as spending too long developing a game, I just want to something new on the Xbox worth buying that doesn't have Halo or Fable in its name, oh and I'd love to see Banjo Pilot on the GBA even though I'm pretty certain it going to be that great.

smile.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
*giggles uncontrollably*
HAHAHAHAH! I LAUGH IN THE FACE OF THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, what the hell is this shit, and why the late release?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rare are overrated. All of there games start off as classics but to me they end up avergage by the end. If it wasnt for the multiplayer bits in their games I prob wouldnt play any of them today, though Conker was piss funny.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rare are overrated. All of there games start off as classics but to me they end up avergage by the end. If it wasnt for the multiplayer bits in their games I prob wouldnt play any of them today, though Conker was piss funny.
Rare are over-rated, since when? Just because you don't like some games many people loved or can't be asked to play them through to the end, doesn't necessarilly mean anything.

So you found Goldeneye "avergage" towards the end?!! There were extra levels, characters, different difficulty levels to play through (i.e new weapons and objectives etc... along with the enemy AI editor thing). There are stacks and stacks of tough cheats to obtain, plus many crazy things to unlock, discover and loads of glitches. This includes everything from locating strangely placed items in levels and having lots of fun "altering" cutscenes and killing characters with timed mines to carrying two different weapons/making Bond have three hands and making mutant enemies. Plus with the help of an Action Replay you can expand the size of multiplayer maps and playing multiplayer on levels you weren't meant to, also access a test/debug level, expand a few single player levels and various other things...

And that's just Goldeneye, I won't even go into stuff like Perfect Dark or Banjo Kazooie...

smile.gif

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, the jump-to-conclusioners are out today!
Just beacause its weird eosnt mean its good.
Remember, Mario was released in an era where space invaders was king, i'm sure that was friecken weird to alot of the arcade goers.
Dont judge a book by its cover, actually try the game before you rate/hate it for crying out loud.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nope
it doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft, since they were just making shitty games since DK64

take it back, Banjo Tooie was a very good sequel, and perfect dark, that game was awesome. what the hell are you talking about

blink.gif
Banjo Tooie sucked, Banjo Kazooie was better...
and Perfect Dark wasn't nearly as good as Goldeneye

the Rare people who did GoldenEye and PD are at Free Radical now, so Perfect Dark Zero will suck, unless Free Radical develops it

Rare is just getting worse, face it

ever played StarFox Adventures? the puzzles that are good were stolen from other games, and the ones they invented theirselves sucked...

ever played Grabbed by the Ghoulies? it's a bad rip-off of Zombies Ate my Neighbors...

ever played Sabre Wulf?

they aren't even good enough anymore to make proper ports of old SNES games

selling Rare to Microsoft was the best decision Nintendo ever made...

Edit: if you're wondering why there were several double posts in this thread, I think it's because of the SQL errors
tongue.gif

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rare's first games were absolutely amazing...remember Blast Corps, Golden Eye, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong on the SNES...when they made it to Gamecube, their quality started to go down like a rock off a cliff. Played StarFox adventures for 10 minutes, put the controller down and gave it to my little brother to complete it for me so I could watch the ending then we figured out a way how to take it back to the store.

The best thing Rare could ever put out now is a rehash of their old games. Obviously Nintendo wasn't getting the bang for their buck in this company any longer. So good job them selling Rare off.

Oh by the way, I'm pretty sure Namco will make a better groundbreaking StarFox game. Namco deserves more of the ever so coveted Nintendo licences.

MonkeyHead79

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Geez... let's see. Firstly, Starfox Adventures was rushed because of the buyout from Microsoft... it was either a rush job or absolutely no game at all, since the game had been in development for a good few years (It was originally called Dinosaur Planet on the N64 before)
I can shed some light on that -- it was actually more or less Nintendo's fault. Dinosaur Planet was along quite a ways in its development when someone from Nintendo noticed that the main character bore a resemblance to a StarFox character, and so the big N decided to start putting pressure on Rare to remodel the game on a familiar license.

The end result is a game that tries to be two separate games at once -- Zelda, and StarFox, and it doesn neither very well. I saw some of the early concept art for Dinosaur Planet, and judging by what I did see, it was shaping up to be a hell of a lot more interesting than SFA turned out to be.

But at least they modeled the characters nicely. You've got to give them that. Hell, compared to SFA, everyone looks freaking UGLY in that new StarFox game Namco's making (particularly Falco).

penance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jesus, some of you people need to stop whining. It's a puzzle game, not the end of the world. Rare is perfectly entitled to make a puzzle game if they so desire, and they did. Did you guys even stop to download it or did you just take one look at the character and say "OMG IT SUX".

I'm not going to defend Rare's decisions over the past few years because I think they have gone downhill in the console department but I liked BK and Sabrewulf on the GBA. But even if I thought those two were the shittiest games in the world, that doesn't mean this one is, so it's stupid to prejudge a game based on previous games. Caution is natural, dismission is just stupid.

Bottom line? Download it first, play it, THEN talk about how dumb a game it is.

Also, some of you need spelling and grammar lessons stat, no offense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo