16-year-old claims to have hacked Nintendo's developer portal, leaks 50GB of files

saddsaadsasdadsds.png

A fledgling hacker appears to have taken advantage of a lack of security on Nintendo's official developer portal, leading to the leak of over 50 gigabytes of internal files relating to the Nintendo NX, development tools, SDKs, and more. The hacker happens to be a 16-year-old, stating that they have little to no actual hacking experience. but still managed to have gotten credentials to a Nintendo developer account, and used it to grab whatever they could off the CDN, and then extract the proprietary compressed files. According to them, the leak contains:

- Documents related to the inner workings of the NX system (NX is the codename for Nintendo Switch)
- Development tools related to game development of Nintendo (NintendoSDK and Unity for NX)
- Source code related to tools by Nintendo that are used in many Nintendo Switch games!
- Backend code for Nintendo networking (NPLN, NEX, Pia)
- And a whole lot more (graphics, files, etc.)

Please remember that GBAtemp does not allow the sharing of copyrighted content.

:arrow: Source

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just stuff every Switch developer has access to. While it is proprietary and under NDA, it's not exactly hard to imagine someone social engineering their way in.

It also doesn't really do anything for users. A lot of this has leaked before, and while a newer SDK theoretically means the ability to homebrew apps targeting latest firmware, in practice it still requires a dev kit or hacked Switch with sigpatches to run.

I wouldn't count on it leading to anything interesting. It's not like Nintendo employees were hacked, leading to the exposure of actual source code.

JayGee23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
He could have at least waited until the next Nintendo console was released. The information might have been more useful then. Maybe there's something in there about the Switch 2/Pro/or whatever they come up with next.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
yeh, a software only hack would be great for the Switch...
Even better would be a Nintendo signing tool. That to me would be the holy grail, being able to fake-sign home rew and pirated games to seem legit to an unhacked system. Reminds me of the PS3 days.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello @Chary
I've heard a news on a french youtube channel about something Nintendo would have emmited a copyright on it
Apparently, it was something (don't know if it's hardware or software) that allowed the switch code to load objects faster in games (objects like trees, rocks, clouds, monsters, etc)

Do you have any ideas of what I'm talking about? If you do, do you think this "thing" have leaked too? Because apparently, it hasn't been used in any games yet.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The younger one?
the younger one who is actually also him

and if my internet skills have taught me anything, anyone saying they are 16 is usually 14, and anyone who is 14 is usually 10

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. So let me get this straight, this kid doesn't have a lot of hacking experience, managed to get into the development portal, breaking a federal law at the end of the day, but was dumb enough to reveal stuff like his age. You know some people are smart, we've had literal geniuses become criminals...but even they at least don't reveal stuff like this, they may have made a mistake, but this isn't even a mistake, why does it matter what the age is anyways? Is this supposed to be a funny jab at Nintendo's security? I don't find it funny, I question the kid honestly and his capabilities, which leads to my second point.

2. Why the hell are people dumb enough to misuse their capabilities like this, why not help the world, be more beneficial rather than a problem? This kid could be a security analyst if he plays his cards right and advances his capabilities, he could even be the next big technological inventor that impacts humanity in a positive manner, but nope....let's just misuse capabilities to do wrong doings right? "Hardy har har, it's fun." but it's also really stupid.

Humanity sometimes is questionable, I can't comprehend half the actions many seem to condone regularly, and it's rising drastically in the numbers where that's concerned, that is concerning. If this is out of spite, it's not right, we should be better than this as people.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

ChaoticPumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mariko jailbreak. Im still waiting. I feel now its possible.
Welp, V2 Switch now in Airplane mode to block firmware updates while I wait.
I Really doubt anything would come from this, it just appears to be SDKs that every third party switch developer would have. Older versions of the SDK already were publicly available.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why the hell are people dumb enough to misuse their capabilities like this, why not help the world, be more beneficial rather than a problem? This kid could be a security analyst if he plays his cards right and advances his capabilities, he could even be the next big technological inventor that impacts humanity in a positive manner, but nope....let's just misuse capabilities to do wrong doings right? "Hardy har har, it's fun." but it's also really stupid.
Lol he's 16, dude; dark hackers 3 times his age regularly turn white. I wouldn't count him out just yet...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Poor and jaundiced is he!