128GB flash drive as WBFS storage not working??

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chill8888, Aug 4, 2014.

1. chill8888
    OP

chill8888 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    I'm no noob by any sort, however, I can't seem to find a thread on any site addressing this issue; only one referencing the 64gb PNY Attache as "intermittently operable"... so I'm not sure if the size of the flash drive is the issue, or the write/read speed, etc.

The drive I'm using is called "UDisk" when plugged into my computer, but there is no branding on the actual stick. It looks identical to this one: https://www.xicomputer.com/products/prodimages/32-Wintec-Filemate-Swivel.jpg minus the brand logo.

It works just fine when I have about 4-5 games loaded on it, and uploads games at approx 6mbps using Wii Game Manager 1.5.0.2. But then if I load more games (~10-14gb total space), the write speed drops to an embarrassing 1.02mbps average, and then when I boot up my usual USB Loader GX 3.0, the games are visible, however the title sequence does not even cycle when I highlight the new game, it's just a black background, no audio; and if I try to start the game, it loads me back to the Wii channels, not even USB Loader. Oddly, the first uploaded games still boot fine.

I have no issues with my 16gb PNY flash drive. I'm running IOS249[56] and 250[57] both d2x-v8-final, even tried d2x-v10-beta52. No luck.

Any ideas or solutions?? Thank you so much!

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Could be a fake, meaning the actual storage space is lower than the reported space, so if you try to put more things on it than the flash storage can fit, you get corrupted data.

3. 466

466 yes, it says 466

Mar 28, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    ^ This.

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    WBFS file system doesn't work on most homebrew and is no longer supported in most apps as of 2010, you need an WBFS to FAT32 conversion program.

5. SomeWeirdSin

SomeWeirdSin GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2014
    United States
    Under the bridge
    The_Randomizer is right. Also, FAT32 format is much more stable, and is just more useful. You can use WiiBackUpManager to convert all your backups to .wbfs format.

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Why would you use an expensive USB flash drive instead of a cheaper bigger sized HDD?

I'd say use h2wtest on it and test the actual storage capacity.

Shadow#1 and SomeWeirdSin like this.
  7. SomeWeirdSin

SomeWeirdSin GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2014
    United States
    Under the bridge
    Wow, I can't believe we all over-looked that glaring contradiction. Good call DinohScene. For the same price, you could get a 1 TB HDD to store all your games. Look up a HDD compatibility list before hand so you don't get a bum drive.

8. chill8888
    OP

chill8888 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    Jdbye, I can't imagine the drive having a fake reported space, considering I've copied and transferred back and forth up to 90gb of data/games on it before formatting it to WBFS.

Randomizer, "I have no issues with my 16gb PNY flash drive." I've been using WBFS for years flawlessly. And I'm not a fan of Configurable USB.

DinohScene, I got the flash drive for $12 black friday, and I personally prefer a non-spinning storage unit.

If I ABSOLUTELY must, I can try other methods. But I would still like to know if others have had this problem, and how they fixed it, preferably without buying new devices.

Thank you for your responses thus far :)

(h2wtest is running right now with about 11 hours remaining because of the 1mbps write speed after it hit ~10gb, started at 7.96mbps. I'll post data when it's finished.)

9. chill8888
    OP

chill8888 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    Seems that Jdbye was partially correct. The drive was able to write typical files within the <1gb range, but not able to write larger files. The more sizable games were unable to copy fully, and had errors on the Wii.

Thank you for all your responses!

10. 466

466 yes, it says 466

Mar 28, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    How about NTFS?

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Nope, also not supported in most apps. FAT32 is the primarily supported file system for apps, you'll need to find the program that goes from WBFS to FAT32.

Foxi4 likes this.
  12. 466

466 yes, it says 466

Mar 28, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    Isn't it exFAT for USB, not FAT32?

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    No, you can use FAT32 for USB drives if you want. exFAT is a different filesystem altogether.

14. 466

466 yes, it says 466

Mar 28, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    Never mind, I just use cmd to format it :P

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I strongly suggest using Wii Backup Manager - it will help you format your drives and transfer your games, as it's capable of stripping the unnecessary partitions, splitting files and converting them to the right format on-the-fly.

Count Duckula likes this.
  16. 466

466 yes, it says 466

Mar 28, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    So let me see:
    Use wbfs files for games.
    Use Wii Backup Manager to format the USB drive and put games on the USB.