Hacking 1 slot or 2 slot?

Kuromadoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering whether I should get a 1 slot or 2 slot, or both. And what kind I should buy.

I really want to be able to add custom skins, use linux (hopefully
biggrin.gif
) play some homebrews, and emulate snes/nes/gba/gbc.

So which card would be the best for these?

I've heard really good things about R4, and M3, but I'm in the dark when it comes to this.

So, what I would really appreciate is if someone posted the difference between a 1 slot flash device and a 2 slot flash device, and which ones are the best for what I want.

Thanks so much in advance guys, I hope I can start contributing to the community as soon as I know what i'm doing,
wink.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, the only way to really go is a slot1 and a slot2. That way you will have the best of both worlds and also maximize the amount of games/aps/media in one compact little package.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten the Supercard miniSD as my slot2 card....I should have gotten the M3 miniSD instead. It still has all the emulators for older systems (like GB/GBC/NES, etc.), but it doesn't slowdown in GBA games like the Supercard does.

I myself go with the full size slot2 flashcarts just to maintain full backwards compatibility with GBA SP's and the old style DS's, but that's just me.

Many people will recommend the EZ Flash 3in1, but that only holds one GBA game at a time and defeats my maximizing of games ability, so I don't like that one.

You see what I have as far as cards in my sig. I generally have about 50 DS games in the R4. And I have around 600 (yes, 600!) games in my Supercard when you count all the games from GBA to the built in emulators and everything....and I still have space for a few vids on it too. It's like a mini-arcade in my hands and that's what I was going for when I got these flashcards.

A lot of people call me nuts for having all those games like that, but hey, I never said I was sane.
wink.gif

Kuromadoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^ Thanks for the info! It was a big help, I didn't really grasp the concept until now.

So basically a slot-2 uses the gba slot and the slot-1 uses the ds slot?

And I should get R4 for my slot-1 and M3mini for my slot-2?

I've also heard of a G6, what is that?

tipsy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
You need two slots for your specifications (emulator).
You would need a slot 1 cart, which I suggest R4, and a slot 2 cart, which I suggest EZ-Flash-3-in-1.

Kuromadoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the cons and pros of the ez-flash-3-in-1 compared to the cons and pros of the M3mini?

once again thanks for the help.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 3in1 can hold 1 game at time (might not be a con), but because of this linkage between NDS and GBA is possible. M3Mini has expandable storage that can be used for other things too.

They're pretty much the only differences that matter. Compatibility is roughly the same. IIRC the 3in1 sticks out of the DSL slot a bit, but so does the M3Mini from a DS fat.

3in1 is cheap, M3 is expensive

Kuromadoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can m3 hold multiple gba games at the same time?

And what are the 3 features that the ez has?

So basically, the m3 is just like the 3-in-1, except the 3-in-1 can only hold 1 gba game?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not really..

The m3 is an all-in-one card by itself. The 3in1 is an expansion since it relies on another card to flash a game onto its memory. Read the review on the M3 Mini SD.

Kuromadoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't understand the concept of flashing...

So basically I'm thinking I want an R4, and a 3in1.

Is it possible to run gba and snes off of R4? and then flash nes/gbc to 3in1 like pikadude1006 described?
biggrin.gif
If so, I would be so grateful if someone told me what flashing is.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It can do pretty much everything a .gba file can do

flashing a game to the memory is pretty much copying it over.

You can use the R4 to emulate older systems (it's probably better than running it off GBA anyway)

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, the only way to really go is a slot1 and a slot2. That way you will have the best of both worlds and also maximize the amount of games/aps/media in one compact little package.

Yep, he said the best.

This setup really is the only way to go. It costs a bit more, but you'll get the most out of it. I recommend any of the slot 1 carts(they're all pretty much the same, although the R4 is cheap in price, and a good cart), and either a G6 Lite, M3 Lite, or EZIV Lite Deluxe for a slot 2. Or if you want to save some cash in the slot 2 department, there's the 3in1. But the other slot 2's I mentioned is the better way to go.

Kuromadoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank's for all the replies guys; I really appreciate all the help ^^.

I'm thinking of getting a 3-1 ez and R4, as they are the most cost effective products as I can see.

With this setup could I run nes/snes/gba/gb with both of these?

^^ Thanks again.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
3 in one has it's limits though. if you can afford it, i'd go for an ez4 deluxe (with a microsd card) preferably. You miss out on is rumble but the microsd provides much more storage space, homebrew compatability etc, and is a cart in itself rather than an expansion as others have said.

or alternately an m3 or g6. however g6 has limited storage space (but internal memory) and both are quite expensive.

Kuromadoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't know, the ex 4 deluxe just sounds more like my cup of tea, with the extra memory and all.

what are the advantages of the g6 having internal memory? And what does it do if it does? o.O does the ez 4 deluxe have internal memory?

*and to nightkry, how'd you manage that? I'd love to be able to go with the cheaper of the two if I could get that working ^^

Kuromadoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've decided to get the ex-4 deluxe and the R4.

happy.gif
If I can't emulate snes/nes/gb/gbc/gba with these, I'd be so grateful if someone pointed it out before doing so.

Thanks for all your help, with out you guys I would still be in the dark.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv