Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It was just released: here.

QUOTE said:
New in this version:

v0.5 *
- Implemented save-states (touch slot icons to load/save)
- Extended SRAM compatibility. Story of Thor and Phantasy Star IV should work now.

- Extended "force update" of HW renderer. Fixes Sonic3 intro, Sonic Bonus stage and probably others.
- Fixed sprites showing garbage if more than 64 sprites were displayed. (Comix Zone, Outrun, Sonic, well most games i guess).
- Partial rewrite of sprite handling in the HW renderer. Less slowdowns when a lot of sprites are displayed.
- Implemented better VSync. Fixes temporary speedups after slowdowns.
- Implemented vertical scaling option into HW renderer (horizontal is NOT possible, dont ask!).
Aspect ratio will be incorrect, but makes games more enjoyable (at least in my opinion).
- Implemented screen positioning in HW renderer (touch screen to pause, then use [D-Pad] to scroll.
Push [A] for faster scrolling)

- Rewrote DS interrupt system for HW renderer. Probably less slowdowns, surely safer.

- Added "Fake Z80" option. The faking code can mess up some games (Ghouls n' Ghosts, Aladdin, Cool Spot 2, and others), so it can be turned off now. Interestingly enough, if it is turned off, real Z80 emulation will be executed, BUT just under certain circumstances, to keep games working and not to slow things down. As with other options, some games might depend on a certain setting to boot (Gaiares just boots when this option is set to "off").

w00t for save states
bow.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent that it can do saves now as this emulator played a few games that picodrive doesn't.

I hope future releases let you change the screen size though.

georaldc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice release! Savestates are a big plus, as well as the other fixes. Hope the dev gets sound emulation down

QUOTE said:
yea sound seems to historically be a problem for genesis emulators

im pretty sure even dreamcast never got a genesis emulator with sound
The dreamcast did have a genesis emulator with sound, but they weren't emulated that perfectly (high pitched in some games). Not sure if better emulators were released now since I've only used 1 genesis emulator on the dreamcast back then

JacobReaper

I Love You....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It was just released: here.

QUOTE said:
New in this version:

v0.5 *
- Implemented save-states (touch slot icons to load/save)
- Extended SRAM compatibility. Story of Thor and Phantasy Star IV should work now.

- Extended "force update" of HW renderer. Fixes Sonic3 intro, Sonic Bonus stage and probably others.
- Fixed sprites showing garbage if more than 64 sprites were displayed. (Comix Zone, Outrun, Sonic, well most games i guess).
- Partial rewrite of sprite handling in the HW renderer. Less slowdowns when a lot of sprites are displayed.
- Implemented better VSync. Fixes temporary speedups after slowdowns.
- Implemented vertical scaling option into HW renderer (horizontal is NOT possible, dont ask!).
Aspect ratio will be incorrect, but makes games more enjoyable (at least in my opinion).
- Implemented screen positioning in HW renderer (touch screen to pause, then use [D-Pad] to scroll.
Push [A] for faster scrolling)

- Rewrote DS interrupt system for HW renderer. Probably less slowdowns, surely safer.

- Added "Fake Z80" option. The faking code can mess up some games (Ghouls n' Ghosts, Aladdin, Cool Spot 2, and others), so it can be turned off now. Interestingly enough, if it is turned off, real Z80 emulation will be executed, BUT just under certain circumstances, to keep games working and not to slow things down. As with other options, some games might depend on a certain setting to boot (Gaiares just boots when this option is set to "off").

w00t for save states
bow.gif

W00T
hrth.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
yea sound seems to historically be a problem for genesis emulators

im pretty sure even dreamcast never got a genesis emulator with sound

Yeah but even on the original H/W the genesis sound used to have problem
smile.gif

I don't remember there ever being any problems with sound on an actual MegaDrive/Genesis? (If you were being sarcastic then sorry, it's one of those days that I'm totally not on the ball!)

The problem with MegaDrive sound is that it uses another processor (z80) and a midi processor (YMXXXX can't remember the model number) and not just a custom chip. Alot of processing power for the DS to emulate.

zfunk007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if the SNES emulator SNEmulDS has full speed AND sound on a lot of games, there is NO reason why a Mega Drive emulator can't either (the SNES is more powerful and has a more complex sound system than the Mega Drive). I have a Mega Drive emulator for my Smartphone (and mind you, this is a cell phone) that runs at full speed with sound. So it is certainly within the realm of possibility to get sound for this emulator on the DS.

But bravo for the update!

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if the SNES emulator SNEmulDS has full speed AND sound on a lot of games, there is NO reason why a Mega Drive emulator can't either (the SNES is more powerful and has a more complex sound system than the Mega Drive). I have a Mega Drive emulator for my Smartphone (and mind you, this is a cell phone) that runs at full speed with sound. So it is certainly within the realm of possibility to get sound for this emulator on the DS.

Citation needed. Also, your cell phone is likely more powerful than the DS, so you can't really compare the two. Lordus has stated that he's working on getting PSG sound working on the ARM7 with very minimal slowdowns (only 2-3 fps difference), but emulating the z80 will require the more powerful ARM9 which also emulates the main CPU, so speed will take a big hit if that's implemented.

This exchange occurred at a DCEmu thread, which should help clear some things up:
paul3100 said:
it is good to see an update and in time i can see sound being implemented , the snes has sound and was technically superior to the genesis/megadrive
Eyedunno said:
Technically superior? Well, yes, except for the main CPU, which was quite a bit faster on the Genesis/Megadrive. That was part of the buzz around the Sonic series.

A Geo Metro is "technically superior" to a 1968 Camaro, but let's see you try and race the two.
Lordus
I am currently working on the sound and it looks promising so far...

It is not really true, that the SNES was technically superior, as Eyedunno said. Genesis' main cpu is more powerful and also the sound hardware needs a lot more power to be emulated than the SNES sound hardware.It is absolutely irrelevant in this sense, that SNES games sound better.

This version only uses the Arm9 cpu, except for the basic stuff, like touchscreen and such. (My current development version uses both though, and the next release will hopefully, too).

As for the software renderer, i dont think much can be done. It is already completely written in assembler and uses a pretty fast method as well.
Software rendering just needs a LOT of cpu power.
And of course you want full speed software rendering + sound, right?
tongue.gif

Forgot to mention in the readme, that you can also set country preferences now. So if a game is multiregion, it wont use the first region specified in the header anymore, but the one you select.

Also:
i got a lot of emails about the previous version, that this and that game doesnt work.
Almost all of those games DID work, just that of course nobody reads the readme. So please try all different settings first, before deciding, that a game doesnt work.
Games over 3MB wont load at all, due to limited ram size. This is on my todo list.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the point in complaining and whining about a feature? If you want it so bad, go code it yourself and prove that it's easy to do. DevKitARM is easily accessible. Otherwise, stop complaining about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill