D-Trogh

OP
Trophies
Website
promh.freehostia.com
XP
Country
Belgium
Well.. when you know R4Crypt, you know what I'm talking about.
You can share your edited _DS_MENU.DAT files here !
But, be sure to tell what you've edited + eventually some screens..

Here is my first (well not really) edited _DS_MENU.DAT
In this .DAT these strings where deleted:
- R4DS English Version
- Game
- Multimedia
- Boot Slot-2
- New revise: *date* *date*
And I edited this string:
- Cheat (Y) is now CHEATS
I also deleted the brightness icon.

+ I have a question.. I can't find the bytes where it displays the filename on the bottom screen.

[D-Trogh]

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
does the ipod thing work on r4? =]

I don't know, I only have a M3 Simply. Why don't you try it
wink2.gif

QUOTE(D-Trogh @ May 18 2007, 10:19 PM)I don't really understand your _DS_MENU.DAT files..
What will they do ? Maybe put it in the topic
wink.gif
_DS_MENU.DAT is the first thing the M3 Simply / R4 boots after initializing some basic things like reading the file system on the MicroSD / Transflash card.
When chrism wrote r4crypt, he discovered that _DS_MENU.DAT was nothing more than an encrypted NDS-file. So I just took some homebrew (LMP and DSOrganize) and encrypted them with r4crypt. I renamed them to _DS_MENU.DAT, copied them to my MicroSD-card, and it worked!

I'll explain more. Normally, when you have your M3 Simply / R4 in your DS, you first see the health and safety warning. Then you see "Loading...". The M3 Simply / R4 is now reading the filesystem, checking if _DS_MENU.DAT is encrypted in the right way and booting it. You now see the menu.
When you replace your normal _DS_MENU.DAT with the DSOrganize one or the LMP (iPod clone) one, it doesn't show the menu after the loading, but it boots the homebrew I packed in the file! So without any M3 Simply / R4 menu you get the homebrew (unlike with the original firmware and a file named default.nds),

So if you, for instance, play a lot of music on your NDS (I do!), you can buy an extra SD-/TF-card, put some MP3-files on it and copy my _DS_MENU.DAT file to it. That's it, you can use your M3 Simply / R4 as an iPod, without scrolling through any menu!!!
yaynds.gif

D-Trogh

OP
Trophies
Website
promh.freehostia.com
XP
Country
Belgium
_DS_MENU.DAT is the first thing the M3 Simply / R4 boots after initializing some basic things like reading the file system on the MicroSD / Transflash card.
When chrism wrote r4crypt, he discovered that _DS_MENU.DAT was nothing more than an encrypted NDS-file. So I just took some homebrew (LMP and DSOrganize) and encrypted them with r4crypt. I renamed them to _DS_MENU.DAT, copied them to my MicroSD-card, and it worked!

I'll explain more. Normally, when you have your M3 Simply / R4 in your DS, you first see the health and safety warning. Then you see "Loading...". The M3 Simply / R4 is now reading the filesystem, checking if _DS_MENU.DAT is encrypted in the right way and booting it. You now see the menu.
When you replace your normal _DS_MENU.DAT with the DSOrganize one or the LMP (iPod clone) one, it doesn't show the menu after the loading, but it boots the homebrew I packed in the file! So without any M3 Simply / R4 menu you get the homebrew (unlike with the original firmware and a file named default.nds),

So if you, for instance, play a lot of music on your NDS (I do!), you can buy an extra SD-/TF-card, put some MP3-files on it and copy my _DS_MENU.DAT file to it. That's it, you can use your M3 Simply / R4 as an iPod, without scrolling through any menu!!!
yaynds.gif
I thought it was something like that
happy.gif

Well.. It'll be handy for some people
yaynds.gif

D-Trogh

OP
Trophies
Website
promh.freehostia.com
XP
Country
Belgium
As soon as I discovered r4crypt I made some.

They aren't really custom menu's though - they are just other apps booting in place of the menu.

D-Trogh's seem to be custom edited menus.
Yeah.. your right..
I think it's OK to post _DS_MENU.DAT files like those DSOrganize and LMP, but normaly this was for customization
wink.gif

I have a new one.. well.. It's the same as the one in the first post only with new SoftReset icons..
Here is the download. The icons will look like this:
srwq9.gif

[The best I can do for now... will try other things soon]

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm what's the point of taking out the brightness icon? it's needed heh..

overall I'm sure it'll inspire some very unique menus or ports of other flashcart's menus. i can't hex edit worth a damn
tongue.gif

crazysim

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

overall I'm sure it'll inspire some very unique menus or ports of other flashcart's menus. i can't hex edit worth a damn
tongue.gif

For most Phat DS users, the brightness icon doesn't work. Maybe someone ought to take out the grey icon but leave the yellow icon for Lites.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Could you put a game backup as _DS_Menu.dat? And if you could would it patch it?
Nope. I tried. I encrypted the hacked Nintendo DS Browser and renamed it to _DS_MENU.DAT and it didn't do anything.

Not that strange, because I believe the menu actually patches the roms on the fly. So while you don't have to patch anything on the PC, the R4 / M3 Simply does on the DS. But without the menu, it is not possible to do so (unless someone can make an already patched rom... don't know if that's possible though).

If you want a game backup to run when you start the DS, just rename it to default.nds and use the original firmware. You will see the menu for a few seconds, and it has to load, but without any user interaction it boots the game, whether it's homebrew or commercial.

D-Trogh

OP
Trophies
Website
promh.freehostia.com
XP
Country
Belgium
Well.. no.. I just deleted the icon.. the function is still intact.. Just press L
When you know the R4, you don't need that icon.. and pressing L is quicker (for me) then pussing the touchscreen..
(I don't use my styles that much in the R4 menus..)

marth989

Trophies
Website
profile.myspace.com
XP
Country
i think its a good idea to play with the menu,

to try and discover new things but removing icons

is just silly, theres no need for it unless your going

to replace them with something better like me and takam

did with the brightness icons of our skins,

hope someone will be able to do that
biggrin.gif

D-Trogh

OP
Trophies
Website
promh.freehostia.com
XP
Country
Belgium
can anyone post here DS_Menu with just button "cheat(Y)" deleted?

While I would like this as well, it is going to be rather hard as there is a button behind the text. (This is beyond a simple text/graphics hack, in other words)
Well.. this is simpler than you think !
Just delete the usrcheat.dat file if you have any, decrypt the cheat.dat file.. edit it with the cheat editor (delete all cheats) and encrypt it again..
Or maybe you can just delete the cheat.dat as well (if the R4 doesn't ask for it)
Then there will be no cheat button
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr