Homebrew N64 Emulator?

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Graphics wise i'd say the DS is even BETTER than the n64, so why no emulation? I know some will get frustrated as i'm not very knowledgable on emulation and i'm sure this has been asked before but, i'd like to know why. Any answer is appreciated.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Another day, another n64 DS emulator. THERE WILL NEVER BE ONE.

NOOOO, YOU'RE SHATTERING MY DREAMS!!!
cry.gif

n64 DS emulator? Would that mean playing DS on an N64? Are you saying that isn't possible either?

KHAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!
cry.gif

rofl2.gif

simpson17

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the rules for emulating another console, is the console your emulating it on has to have about 10x the processing power.

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the rules for emulating another console, is the console your emulating it on has to have about 10x the processing power.

rules?? none, sorry. these kinds of answers are bogus, and don't help to stop children from asking. You need to give them the truth, not some thought up answer to shut up pondering minds. that reminds me of the problems with the american public school system. Teachers just feed bullshit to make there jobs as simple as possible, they just don't care about bettering anything other than theyre union contracts.

simply put, there is no set rules to emulation. that's the benifit of software coding; its all in the hands of the coder(s) how to program, some code faster routines given the coding libraries (for example look at snes GBA emulation), some code very poorly (look at a majority of early emulator releases).
just to give a living example of why these "rules" are bullshit, look at the xbox emulation on 360. now just for hypethetical purposes i'm going to use 10x as a rule. and say for our purposes, that the xbox gpu doesnt need emulation (hahaha) and so all that needs to be emulated is the intel 733 megahertz processor. now the 360's three core single process 3.0 gighertz processor cannot handle 7.33 gigherts of 32 bit single core code at once... but i enjoy many xbox games on my 360. namely halo2, GTA san andreas, and crimson skies.

i will say that an n64 runs at 93.75 megahertz. the Nintendo ds runs at 66 megahertz with a seperate 33 megahertz. now im not going into it but you cant add the two together to get 99 megahertz but it doesnt work like that. not to mention the nintendo 64 was exactly that: It is a 64-bit processor, in that it has 64-bit registers, a 64-bit instruction set, and 64-bit internal data paths. The nintendo ds contains no 64 bit processoes, no 64-bit registers, no 64-bit instruction set, and no 64 bit internal data path. If you are old enough to remember, the first n64 emulators on pcs had most of there processing power used to interpret and rehash these 64 bit instuction sets down to 32 for an intel processor which would typically run around 600-755 megahertz. There was slowdown... thats just beginning to rub the surface of why n64 emulation on nds will maybe never happen. please notice i say maybe, that's because anything can happen with software coding, and so as i have learned, never, ever, ever, say never.

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I post a question, I get some good answers, including an example of an existing nintendo ds N64 emulator. Then 1 IRC MOD who thinks i'm out for post boost..Well thanks to those of you who helped, and no thanks to those who wasted text with their own attempt at a post boost count.

StuKeeler

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if one made an emulator for n64, how would the buttons work?? ds has two buttons too little to support methinks
The N64 was single screen output.

If emulated on the DS, one screen would be redundant to original gameplay, so the touchscreen could be used to emulate the extra buttons.

IMO, this would prove a little tricky to control certain button-heavy games, but it would be a solution.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree with whomever said they're won't be one ... the DS simply isn't powerful enough to handle an N64 emulator and ROM. However, someone could port a game over, because the specs are close.

General rule of thumb (yeah, I know, there are no rules), but generally speaking, you need a system at least 3x as powerful as whatever you're trying to emulate.

Some 3.5Ghz-4Ghz powerhouse rigs can't even emulate some MAME games properly, like Gauntlet Legends, and that game was out how many years ago?

Deleted member 49417

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
From what I've heard of, the engine of the DS can't support the N64 because it can't to handle it. You need at least (to the very deepest estimation) 2.6 times as powerful. The only way is to port individual games because of the specs. DS can handle 64's graphics no prob.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*