Hacking Cheap DS Skin Solution - Mad Catz Showcase

dazinith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did a search and didn't see anyone talking yet about this case by mad catz. It is called the 'NDS Lite Custom Show Case'. These clear cases come bundled with either NFL skins, or generic skins, here is their product info:
NFL-2484.gif

more info

2484.gif

more info

In any event, you can actually print out your own custom skins to go between the clear case and the DS. You can find the software mad catz provides here:
http://customization.madcatz.com/nds.html

Their software only exports to 72 DPI bmp (which won't give you much detail at all), so I made a Photoshop template at 600 DPI which you can find here:
http://www.dzgraphics.com/downloads/dslite..._template_2.zip

I printed out my skins on glossy photo paper and just cut them with scissors. Here are a few images of the skin i'm using now (art from deviantart.com):
IMG00168_resize.jpg

IMG00169_resize.jpg

IMG00170_resize.jpg

The images aren't the best quality, but they get the point across (if you want better let me know or check out the link below). Basically if you don't mind the DS being a tad bigger (but still fits in my yoshi DS pouch) then this might be worth checking out. For such a small increase in bulk the DS does feel a lot more bulky, my guess is the weight of the case that makes it feel that way. With that said I do feel this clear case will definitely prevent gouging/scratching, perhaps even make it kid-proof. For $15 bucks it was a good solution for me and my plain jane white DS lite.

Big thanks to KirbyCube who posted this blog entry where I heard about doing custom skins with this case, you can find more info and pics there:
http://blogs.ign.com/KirbyCube/2006/07/31/26787/

dazinith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i felt sorta cheap for not posting real pics, so here are a few better ones (click for higher res):

if anyone has any suggestions for other images to use for skins please let me know.. i spent a few hours trying to find some high enough quality that i liked.. the one i went with matches my case and stylus, so it's pretty pimp to me
wink.gif

tyasawa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
;_; omg this looks so sweet.. i want the green stylus as well XD..

'', im not sure radioshack ship outside us as well..

ill check on it later... now clean up my room first since few friends will come to play with wii~

Keeper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have heard that these will be available in Australia at retail stores in the very near future, will have to keep a look out for em

MetaKz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, that is sweet.. so you printed the picture yourself?

I wish I didn't have a sucky printer
tongue.gif
... oh and I wish i had like... 30 bucks to spend
frown.gif

ghettobob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, the final fantasy and the megaman look very nice.
I use to own one of these cases, but sadly my friends little sister destroyed it during her search for chocolate in my bookbad >_>

That little devilchild...I guess I'll buy another one, but my printer stinks. I'll try it and post pics.

DeepFriedAsian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I was using the program, but my images come out smaller than expected when I save and print them, and they're too small....Can anyone help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1