Hacking Is there any app or product that let's you copy official saves

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Official GAMECUBE NINTENDO saves FROM the GameCube memory card to the Wii SD card. And can you copy Wii saves from an SD card to the GameCube memory card? Call me crazy but I want all of my data copied on both cards if space permits (blocks). There were 3 links but I lost them and only have two added onto my card atm. I am done with the AR and VC stuff and won't even trry to steal WADs as it is against my religion as well as my friends. cIOS runs fine for me and I want to sne dout brawlstats on that app but it doesn't even show how.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM

It may not be compatible with official 1st party memory cards though, but works fine with my 3rd party memcards.

[Off-topic]
And why do you even mention AR and VC wads?
I do not care what you do with AR or wads, just do not kiill your Wii.
[/Off-topic]

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made some updates to GCMM if you want to check it out. It shows save banners and icons now, among other changes. suloku doesn't appear to be active anymore, otherwise I would submit the changes to him. Oh well.
Is it against any rules to link to my modified version of GCMM here?

I may change it some more but I don't think there will be much interest in updating this program until it works with official cards. There may be a workaround that you can use to get official cards to work in Wii mode, though. Interestingly, if I run my updated version in GCN mode (I use Gamecube Homebrew Loader to do this with the app GCBoot, which loads start.dol from the front SD), have it go into backup mode to show the current files on the card (this unlocks the official card properly), then press the power button to force a boot back to wii mode, I can run the Wii version after HBC restarts and it backs up files just fine to the front SD slot. In other words, the unlocked status now jives instead of giving the usual error. This has worked fine every time I've tried it. Removing the card during this and putting it back in will make the problem come back, of course. Oh, and this is using slotB since GCMM uses that exclusively, at least for now.

I encourage others to see if this little workaround will help them use GCMM in Wii mode with official cards, as you normally need an SD Gecko to get your backed up files onto an SD card (front SD not recognized in GCN mode). I had to modify the version of GCBoot I was using since it had trouble reading start.dol - not sure if that's a common problem, but it would be the only roadblock I would imagine others might run into in replicating this.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I renamed a GameCube save? My computer has no memory card reader. Also should I use NGU then? Does that work with first party memory cards? Don't forget I also have an official SD card too. All of them. 3 memory cards (well 4 including AR one) and 4 SD cards, all official. I want to transfer saves to both if possible via space.

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have a first party card then there is no way to get the saves off the card only restore ATM.

If you have a third party card use GCMM.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dronesplitter said:
I made some updates to GCMM if you want to check it out. It shows save banners and icons now, among other changes. suloku doesn't appear to be active anymore, otherwise I would submit the changes to him. Oh well.
Is it against any rules to link to my modified version of GCMM here?

I may change it some more but I don't think there will be much interest in updating this program until it works with official cards. There may be a workaround that you can use to get official cards to work in Wii mode, though. Interestingly, if I run my updated version in GCN mode (I use Gamecube Homebrew Loader to do this with the app GCBoot, which loads start.dol from the front SD), have it go into backup mode to show the current files on the card (this unlocks the official card properly), then press the power button to force a boot back to wii mode, I can run the Wii version after HBC restarts and it backs up files just fine to the front SD slot. In other words, the unlocked status now jives instead of giving the usual error. This has worked fine every time I've tried it. Removing the card during this and putting it back in will make the problem come back, of course. Oh, and this is using slotB since GCMM uses that exclusively, at least for now.

I encourage others to see if this little workaround will help them use GCMM in Wii mode with official cards, as you normally need an SD Gecko to get your backed up files onto an SD card (front SD not recognized in GCN mode). I had to modify the version of GCBoot I was using since it had trouble reading start.dol - not sure if that's a common problem, but it would be the only roadblock I would imagine others might run into in replicating this.

GCMM is under the GPL v3, therefore you're allowed to distribute modifications provided you also include your modified source code. It's also allowed here.

Also, that looks like an interesting method to try. I'll try it with your modified version if you'd be so kind as to make it available. All you have to do is include the source code in the archive.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what do I do now? Wii saves are on the SD card and GCN saves are on the memory card and I want to copy them over to each other. Both are official. I have the 3 linkds downloaded. Assume space permits on the card.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
smashdude said:
So what do I do now? Wii saves are on the SD card and GCN saves are on the memory card and I want to copy them over to each other. Both are official. I have the 3 linkds downloaded. Assume space permits on the card.

Well, you could read.

QUOTEIf you have a first party card then there is no way to get the saves off the card only restore ATM.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so for the link you just gave me. I download that stick it in apps then run it I am supposing and I hope that app works with both official cards and can swap data between the cards while keeping them on the original cards they were on too. So data will be on both cards.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smashdude, my post is for a work in progress, so to speak. I have tested it enough to say there shouldn't be any major bugs but perhaps it would be better if you waited until someone else confirms that official cards work with my method. The readme.txt I included should be enough to guide you, though, assuming you want to give it a try right now. The backup/restore/delete code from the original GCMM is mostly unchanged by my code, meaning it shouldn't be any less safe. Check http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM for the notes suloku gave about compatibility issues.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I will try it but am unsure of the steps to take during the process. I don't want to accidentally do something wrong then "OH SHIT I ERASED MY DATA FML FML FML". As long as I have the step by step process after loading this app, then I will be fine. Look what happened earlier today for me, I stubbed my IOS.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I downloaded that but am unsure of what to delete and where to put these folders besides the .dol ones in the apps folder. Please help!

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dronesplitter said:
s3phir0th115, thanks for informing me.

Here we go: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?l42wuvh1li6b1ys
I should also mention that GCBoot occasionally loads GCN mode wrong when reading start.dol. Just do it again.

Really appreciate it. I gave it a try, and was able to get it working successfully using the wii mode gcmm and an official card.

Problem is, I can't for the life for me get it to run a second time just as well.... Not sure what it is. Maybe I was just lucky?

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
s3phir0th115 said:
dronesplitter said:

I should also mention that GCBoot occasionally loads GCN mode wrong when reading start.dol. Just do it again.

Really appreciate it. I gave it a try, and was able to get it working successfully using the wii mode gcmm and an official card.

Problem is, I can't for the life for me get it to run a second time just as well.... Not sure what it is. Maybe I was just lucky?
You were able to do everything the readme said? Do memory card files always show up when you launch gcmm in GCN mode? I forgot to mention that GCBoot needs a modified MIOS otherwise it won't work. Also, if loading backup mode from the GCN version results in an error about the memory card not responding, just pull the card out and stick it back in, then press y again for backup mode and it should be fine.

You will have to start from step 3 each time: use GCBoot to run gcmm in GCN mode, press y to enter backup mode (I usually press down on the d-pad to navigate through a few files, just to confirm the program is interacting with the card - so this could be an important step I forgot to mention before), single press (don't hold) the power button on the front of the Wii, wait for reload of HBC, then finally load gcmm in Wii mode.

I just did the steps again and it works for me each time. Thanks for trying it
smile.gif
- let me know if you test it again and if it's successful or not.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PM me please. I just PMd you. List step by step via numbering please instead of listing it in paragraphs. Also please tell me which folders I need and don't need after downloading your files. By numbering the steps then I am able to keep up. And I don't know if I have the modified MIOS so please link me that too. Talk to you in the PM.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dronesplitter said:
s3phir0th115 said:
dronesplitter said:

You were able to do everything the readme said? Do memory card files always show up when you launch gcmm in GCN mode? I forgot to mention that GCBoot needs a modified MIOS otherwise it won't work. Also, if loading backup mode from the GCN version results in an error about the memory card not responding, just pull the card out and stick it back in, then press y again for backup mode and it should be fine.

You will have to start from step 3 each time: use GCBoot to run gcmm in GCN mode, press y to enter backup mode (I usually press down on the d-pad to navigate through a few files, just to confirm the program is interacting with the card - so this could be an important step I forgot to mention before), single press (don't hold) the power button on the front of the Wii, wait for reload of HBC, then finally load gcmm in Wii mode.

I just did the steps again and it works for me each time. Thanks for trying it
smile.gif
- let me know if you test it again and if it's successful or not.

Well, trying again I got it to work just fine. And I was able to copy all of my saves over that I had backed up from my failed card before it died.

All of them appeared to work except for one save that showed up wrong, but I think I may have tried hex editing that so I wouldn't hold it against the program.

I should also note that the system menu wouldn't show the card until I powered off the wii and tried it. Probably has something to do with the locking.

I'm also not sure why it wouln't work before, but then would work just fine just waiting to try it later. I'm not complaining of course, just confused.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: wth