Hacking Reverse Engineer PAL Majora's Mask?

fgsfdsyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PAL version of Majora's Mask was just released/is going to be released soon, so NTSC-USA users get shafted for awhile.
Because it is the PAL version, I'm thinking it's going to run at 50fps.
Those extra 10FPS that the NTSC version does get makes a significant difference, but I'm wondering if it's possible to inject the MM(U) into the MM wad?

Or even possible that we can reverse engineer in some sort to use this MM wad to enable games that didn't work before. (looking at you, RARE games)

[edit] My search wasn't working for awhile, I just found the old thread.
In regards, the .wad has been leaked and has anyone found anything out yet?
Apparently you need IOS53 installed for Majora's Mask to work in general.
Before posting any results/injecting, make sure you have that installed and can get Majora's Mask working.

Makeshift List of Injects Confirmed Working:
None. ]:

Confirmed Not Working:
Goldeneye

Tools used so far:
U8Tools (only on "romc")
AutoInjectuWadV3

Tommy_T

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just tried injecting GoldenEye into it and it gets to the spinning N64 Logo and then hangs
frown.gif

Edit:Typo

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What actual difference would those 10 frames make?
I hope it's not a difference in actual gameplay speed like on old SNES pal games?
file release name is 1u-lozmm by the way those who want to search

fgsfdsyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't gotten my (grubby lol) hands onto it yet, I'm going to try the NTSC version of Majora's Mask if no one else feels like trying.

I'll convert my post into a makeshift list to show what's been found out/what injections work and don't.

To comment on kedest:
It pretty much is.
The game feels a lot slower and in a sense it's not as appealing if you've played the 60fps.
I've tried PAL50 games for SNES/N64/PSX and as visually better some are, the speed just makes the game feel atrocious.

fgsfdsyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Matt:// Do you have IOS53 installed?
If not, try installing that then try again.
If so, I think we might need to wait for someone with a more credible technical backround to look at the .wad

What I'm thinking is that these old injectors remove some important/significant data that's needed to run this game. If so, it's a case of "can't do shit, cap'n" for now.

basically what I'm think is...

(NormalN64Wad[rom][manual])
but with Majora's mask
(MajorasMaskwad[romw/fix][manual])

Unless someone can extract the .wad and get a hash and compare it to the original PAL.v64, we're stuck. And even if the hash is the same, we're still at a standpoint where someone NEEDS to analyze the wad to see why it runs compared to our failed attempts with injections previously.

Tommy_T

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got a feeling that the offset for the Rom is in a different place as, when I injected Goldeneye It showed the "spining N" but the first thing you should see when loading Goldeneye is the mock up film sheet thingy. Leading me to believe its still loading Majoras Mask but getting stuck because the Goldeneye Rom has overwritten the wrong part.

Edit: Was using Auto InjectuwadV3.

fgsfdsyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess we have to wait for a release for a new injector for MM or wait for someone to update an old one.
At least our PALfriends (and those with region-free/used freethewads) can enjoy this game.

It makes you wonder what Nintendo has done to modify .wad structure and why they've gone ahead and done that.

Does this mean more games will work? Or does this mean newer ways of de-compiling(don't know if that's the right word to use...) .wads will have to take place.

mat03111984

Trophies
XP
Country
it is. its still trying to load majoras mask. ive got ios 53 and majoras plays fine. when we inject its does the exact same thing as majoras. so we just have to wait till someone figures it out.

fgsfdsyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bwahaha, I love how the users watching dwindle downs from 31 to 5~ after this inconclusive data comes up. I'm attempting the NTSC version of Majora's Mask soon; if someone else has post your results and injector used. I'll try and use a different one and see if the results are mutual.

mat03111984

Trophies
XP
Country
i used auto injector v3. is the NTSC one out?

also i dont know nething about wads, but ive been playing with the wadunpacker with use with the usbloader. would someone whos knows about wads be able to see any changes through that? ive tried many games now. none work. all the same logo

fgsfdsyo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're talking about the NTSC version of Majora's Mask, that's a negative.

I'm getting errors with autoinjectuwad v3 trying to inject NTSC Majora's mask, it says the NTSC rom is too large. I'm going to have to go with the packing style is different.

I'll still attempt with other loaders, but I'm going to guess the results won't differ that much if you keep on getting errors.

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
rolleyes.gif
We can't just inject games as if it were a sin and punishment wad, MM wad got a new algorithm for compressing romc roms. Using jurai's tool you can decompress the romc itself into a 32MB file but its still unplayable on emulators so I guess it gets broken or something, we just need a new compress/decompress tool for it
lecture.gif

And i'm pretty sure few more games are gonna work at least
smileipb2.png

Saying Goldeneye aint working is wrong. NONE of the roms are gonna work unless we compress them the way MM is compressed

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys i already done a NTSC U version of Zelda MM that works Correctly, like the post above says you need to use romc compression to inject the NTSC rom of Zelda MM to make it work correctly, i've already uploaded a download for this on a well known pirating site, you can find it there or do it yourself, also i didn't use a autoinjector to inject this game i done it manually

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1