OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/5102182/hm-customs-warns...gerous-ds-fakes

HM Customs (as in Her Majesty's - the Queen hates smuggling) has issued a warning against fake Nintendo DS Lites that can (possibly) cause you physical harm as well as financial.

A big batch of the fake handhelds (the UK is awash with them this Xmas, apparently) were seized in a freight depot raid and were found to have potentially dangerous power supplies. By 'potentially dangerous' they actually mean 'not electrically tested', so its not like they crawl across the room and strangle you in the night but there is a danger of fire or electrocution.

The bigger question for me is - just how fake are they? Do they play DS games? Are they just rebadged Game & Watch? The article says the were bought on 'Asian websites' for around £40, so goodness only knows what you are buying. Are there even any electronics in them?

Be careful

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Awww i wished they strangle people at night.

But its worst if it explodes out of nowhere when your speaking into the microphone :S

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh please, what a pathetic attempt to mimic the flashcard business!

But its worst if it explodes out of nowhere when your speaking into the microphone :S

OBJECTION!! *The fake DS explodes* O_O;;; *coughs* Over rule?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is less about 'dangerous fakes' as it is more about the 'grey market'. Potentially dangerous power supplies is cop speak for "they come with the US/Japan 110-120V AC adapter instead of the 220V UK". Note the genuine NDS AC adapter is NOT 220V compatible (I was actually a bit shocked to notice this on my trip to Hong Kong)! So yes, you could take the NDS plug it in with a UK power adapter and basically fry your NDS since the voltage conversion isn't being done.

I'm also sure that buying an NDS especially in the UK is expensive. It's 120 pounds or $180USD (which is cheap considering the exchange used to be in the 2.1 range not the 1.5 it is now). So there's an incentive to import US or Japanese ones cheaper then sell them in the UK. Since the NDS games are not region locked, it makes such grey market selling possible.

So I would not worry about some flurry of 'fake' NDS units, unless you exclude obvious ones such as the infamous NEO DOUBLE GAMES!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/881634/neo_d...review_fake_ds/

swf3

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
any link to the site selling them?
gamstastion sold one to my brother 6 mounths for £100 (nintendogogs)without a charger, he had a charger already and the ds wooks 100%
there not fake but nintendo trying to scar pepole to get there uk ones !

id buy 1 foe £ 40 and buy a real charger from game

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Hm I wonder... are these really fake units? The article implies it was the power adapters that were the problem.

I can't help but think of that truckload of Lites that went missing in Northern Europe a month or so ago. Take them to another country, sling a 3rd party power adapter in the box.... see where I'm going with this?
unsure.gif

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Oh please, what a pathetic attempt to mimic the flashcard business!

OBJECTION!! *The fake DS explodes* O_O;;; *coughs* Over rule?

While we're on the subject of pathetic....

Did you get your NDS battery out, or are you still taking suggestions on which size of screwdriver to use?

Quit trying so hard, dood. Seriously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips