Used DS Lite worth sending to Nintendo to fix?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by |Tch0rT&#12, Jun 15, 2008.

Jun 15, 2008
  1. |Tch0rT&#12
    OP

Newcomer |Tch0rT&#12 Member

United States
    Hello,

I bought a used DS Lite from Dealtree's Best Buy auction site for $60 shipped. It has a few scratches on the touch screen, a slight crack on one of the thin hinge's on the outside, a small crack on the clear plastic near the Slot 2 opening, pen outlines on the rubber pads on the bottom, no serial sticker and the mic doesn't work (obviously someone didn't care about this unit [​IMG]). Most of the issue's were addressed in the auction description except the slight crack on the hinge and the Mic not working. I RMA'd it and I can return it for a refund.

On Nintendo's site I entered the serial number that was on the box that my DS came in since there isn't a sticker and it says the DS is still under warranty. I can understand Nintendo not honoring the warranty with this unit but would it be worth it to try to send it in to Nintendo?

Another option... Most of the cosmetic problems don't really bother me, I can potentially replace the shell and buy a new touch screen. If I went this route I would replace the scratched touch screen before replacing the shell since that bothers me the most of the cosmetic problems. The broken mic bothers me though since it will render some games unplayable. I know you can buy external mic's but I don't really like that idea because they force you to use the bundled headphone which probably aren't as good as the current headphones I have, that and I might not want to always have the headphones on while playing those games. Does the DS cut the internal speakers off if only the Mic jack is inserted but not the headphones?

I thought about buying a dead DS and just replacing the motherboard.

Any recommendations on what I should do?

Thanks!

Ryan

2. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Well, you should call/email Nintendo first and asks if they can replace or repair your unit even without the sticker (maybe you could send with it the box with the serial number?). I heard that sometimes Nintendo will repair your unit, no question asked, even if the damage type isn't one covered by the warranty, so you might get lucky here.

3. hogg

Member hogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got 2 fixed for free no questions asked. I dropped them off and they were ready In a few hours.

4. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I say call and talk to someone. I've had only good experiences with Nintendo Help services, so if you get a jerk end the call politely and call back a couple minutes later and someone else will answer.

If you act dissappointed enough, then they will cut you a break and give you the info straight and easy [​IMG], maybe even waive a few paper work fees for ya [​IMG].

5. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    It's worth a shoot to call them, don't you think?
    And if you can find a replace for your microphone, it's easy to switch it when you're changing cases (if you decide to do it yourself)..

6. pepsibluehawk87

Member pepsibluehawk87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would call nintendo, and if all else fails fix it myself. The stuff you mentioned isn't too hard to fix.

7. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Where can you find the serial no. on the box?
    my serial rubbed out.

8. |Tch0rT&#12
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all the replies! I will call Nintendo tomorrow for sure and see what they say! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mine is on the back of the DS box right next to the RSA Secured logo on the bottom right.

Ryan

9. |Tch0rT&#12
    OP

United States
    I called Nintendo. They said they would fix the mic for free but for all the cosmetic stuff I would be charged just under $60 if I wanted that fixed. That might be worth it since the cheapest I've seen a replacement touch pad and a 3rd party case is $30 so and extra $30 so I don't have to do it. I guess I should've just bought a brand new DS LOL cuz I'll only come out on having saved $10 and tax.. oh well.

Ryan

10. lewjay

Member lewjay GBAtemp Regular

I'd get it fixed if it means Nintendo will extend the warranty.

11. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    you could tell theme if you can just get a new one