Hacking Just got a wii - Have some questions

Augusta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got it, tested out everything, made sure the games I got worked in the drive. However, Black Ops was one of the games I got. The person who sold it formatted it beforehand.

1.It's on 4.3U, before I can even start the game it tells me to update, should I update? Will it still ask me to update after I mod it?

2. With 4.3U, the best decision is letterbomb. After I finish the letterbomb tut, what do I do next? Is there a 100% full proof noob proof tut to make it easy? I've heard about modmii but since it's on PC, wouldn't that be a problem?

3. I got a classic controller pro, can a modded wii use this controller to play gc games?

4. FAT32 or NTFS?

5. The 2 games I already have, is there a program in which I can burn/dump the games to a hard drive? Kind of like UMD dump for PSP kind of thing?

Nathanaël

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nauru
1. Yes - No

It asked me to update too, my Wii was 4.3 too. It always does this. It won't ask you again.

2. ModMii

If you don't have a PC, get one. You need the PC for ~20 minutes. Do it a friend's place & copy that shit to your SD card.

3. Not sure. I don't think so.

You can only play original GC Games with newer Wiis. I never played a GC game. But you can use CCPro for Genesis, Snes, n64 (Virtual Console).

4. FAT.

Because there's nice homebrew you might like to use...

Augusta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nathanaël said:
1. Yes - No
It asked me to update too, my Wii was 4.3 too. It always does this. It won't ask you again.
So updating the game won't interfere with when I mod it with letterbomb/homebrew? Cool

QUOTE(Nathanaël @ Aug 27 2011, 10:47 PM) 3. Not sure. I don't think so.
You can only play original GC Games with newer Wiis. I never played a GC game. But you can use CCPro for Genesis, Snes, n64 (Virtual Console).
I thought that all wii's could run gamecube games/iso's? (not including the new wiis that come our later this year that remove gc compatibility)
Is CCPro like mednafen?(a multi emulating machine?)

Thanks btw

Nathanaël

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nauru
You already are on 4.3 and 4.3 is the latest firmware available.

Newer softmodded Wiis can't use GC games via USB or as a burned disc.

And concerning question 5: You just put your games into the disk drive, start cfg Loader and press + That's all you need to do to dump your disk.

Augusta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nathanaël said:

And concerning question 5: You just put your games into the disk drive, start cfg Loader and press + That's all you need to do to dump your disk.

Damn that sucks. The wii is an older model (said it was barely used, almost 2 years old). What version is the wii supposed to be on in order to run GC backups?
Are there downgrade tools available in this scene to make that happen?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Augusta said:
Nathanaël said:

Damn that sucks. The wii is an older model (said it was barely used, almost 2 years old). What version is the wii supposed to be on in order to run GC backups?
Are there downgrade tools available in this scene to make that happen?

http://www.wiidrives.com/identify

It will tell you your Drive. If it's old enough, you can read burned discs on your wii.
You can use Modmii to set thing sup the easiest way possibe.
Files are downloaden via your pc. After you put them on your SD you can use the fiules in your Wii to get up to date with Ninty and Homebrew/ backup stuff.
SAFE.

You are presented with a nice guide you can follow along with . EVERYTHING is explained in Modmii so Noobs can use it Without screwing thing up.

nythu123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
u cannot use the classic controller to play gc games. The best thing to do is mod your wii with a system hack so u can run games from a hard-drive, given that your wii is black. Most/all black wii's cannot run durned dvd games.

Augusta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hielkenator said:

It will tell you your Drive. If it's old enough, you can read burned discs on your wii.
You can use Modmii to set thing sup the easiest way possibe.
Files are downloaden via your pc. After you put them on your SD you can use the fiules in your Wii to get up to date with Ninty and Homebrew/ backup stuff.
SAFE.

You are presented with a nice guide you can follow along with . EVERYTHING is explained in Modmii so Noobs can use it Without screwing thing up.

cool, i'll give it a go in a bit.

Disasterous said:
The new drives remove the ability to run burned discs. So no matter what system menu you're on, new drives wont play burned discs period. Gc or wii.
QUOTE said:
Nathanaël @ Aug 27 2011, 11:08 PM)

NO wii's can play Gc from USB unless you buy a wode. Not possible
I don't plan on burning any games on disks. I have an external harddrive with more than enough room. Does this effect external hdds too?

nythu123 said:
u cannot use the classic controller to play gc games. The best thing to do is mod your wii with a system hack so u can run games from a hard-drive, given that your wii is black. Most/all black wii's cannot run durned dvd games.

I assume modmii will do all of the system hacking for me? Nope the wii is an old white one.

QUOTE(Disasterous @ Aug 28 2011, 12:39 AM)
When did he say his wii was black????????

biggrin.gif
lol

Stewarter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
But there is such cool thing as SWISS (you'll need an SDGecko for it) or Dios-Mios lite (no additional hardware) to run GC backups from an SD card.

BloodWolfJW

Marotheit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Augusta said:
1.It's on 4.3U, before I can even start the game it tells me to update, should I update? Will it still ask me to update after I mod it?

go ahead and update. what's the worst that could happen?
rolleyes.gif
No joke though, we'll just bomb it afterwards...

Augusta said:
2. With 4.3U, the best decision is letterbomb. After I finish the letterbomb tut, what do I do next? Is there a 100% full proof noob proof tut to make it easy? I've heard about modmii but since it's on PC, wouldn't that be a problem?

Well, after you bomb it, the skies the limit! There's tons of stuff to do, but we should start out with a simple guide, like running a homebrew application. I just made a website that should help you out, but it won't be ready for a couple days. Sorry. Oh, and ModMii isn't LetterBomb enabled yet, so...

Augusta said:
3. I got a classic controller pro, can a modded wii use this controller to play gc games?

Edit for Information: If it's over two years old, there's a good chance that it CAN run GameCube backups. The reason I say it's a good chance is i might not be 2 years and he was over exaggerating.
I wouldn't ever expect that too happen, but I didn't expect a SD Launcher for GameCube games either...

QUOTE(Augusta @ Aug 27 2011, 09:41 PM) 4. FAT32 or NTFS?

I would always recommend FAT32, but honestly, it depends on the situation, so, FAT32 for now, as it seems to work with everything so far.

QUOTE(Augusta @ Aug 27 2011, 09:41 PM)
5. The 2 games I already have, is there a program in which I can burn/dump the games to a hard drive? Kind of like UMD dump for PSP kind of thing?

Well, there is WiiFlow, but that's more of an advanced program and you should probably wait till your not a n00b to try something like that. Even after hacking Wii for a little over a year and a half, I still was a bit confused (on and off hacking
tongue.gif
)

Also, I didn't read any of the post before mine, so sorry if I said anything that someone already said

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Modmii DOES support letterbomb, just as well as going to the Hackmii website.

Wiiflow is NOT for dumping games.
Sure you can dump games with it for usb loading but it's not specifically for dumping images.
For GOOD FAST CLEAN dumps use Cleanrip.

Stewarter said:
But there is such cool thing as SWISS (you'll need an SDGecko for it) or Dios-Mios lite (no additional hardware) to run GC backups from an SD card.

Compatibilty is bad and you'll need a NAND dump.

NEOGAMMA with cIOS/mIOS and Burned multi iso disc is much easier.
I'would'nt bother with Dios Mios atm.

Augusta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hielkenator said:
Sure you can dump games with it for usb loading but it's not specifically for dumping images.

NEOGAMMA with cIOS/mIOS and Burned multi iso disc is much easier.
I'would'nt bother with Dios Mios atm.

Okay, incoming noob questions.

1. Checked serial on the site posted earlier about drives. It's RVL-001(USA)/Chipset GC2-D2B. Copyright 2006. Does that mean I'm good for running gc/wii dvd backups on discs and from external?

2. I just finished going through the letterbomb tut and now checking out the modmii sticky. When installing hbc, both options for hbc and bootmii said "can be installed". Am I supposed to install bootmii2 just like that? Or is it supposed to be installed as an IOS?

3. I have looked for the definition of bootmii but it was more about how to use it instead of what it's for and why you need it?

4. Regarding GC/Wii backups, is it the same as burning PS2 iso's on dvd's?
i.e
-dvd decrypter
-find iso/img
-burn at 4x speed
-pop in and play?

5. Neogamma is the best gc loader for discs? usb loader gx for usb? Or does neogamma take the cake for both?

6. Once I've installed hbc, and other programs I get from moddmii later, do I have to keep all of the files on the sd card every time I want to run them?

7. I've noticed some wii games are dual layered so they can't be burned or put on fat32. Is this where scrubbing comes in?
b) are there backup loaders that read ntfs in the case that I would have to put games on ntfs since there would be no other way?

Appreciate the help, doesn't seem as hard as I thought

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
2. do both
boot2 is more secure in restoring
iso is nice to have if boot2 eg was removed by an update

3. making and restoring backup images of your wiis internal memory

6. you only need to keep the programs you want to run
iirc modmii has a cleanup function

7. you can burn dual layer
you can put DL on fat32
scrubbing only makes isos compress better
there are loaders thad can use ntfs (eg cfg)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you use modmii, you'll get all the answers. but:

1. Checked serial on the site posted earlier about drives. It's RVL-001(USA)/Chipset GC2-D2B. Copyright 2006. Does that mean I'm good for running gc/wii dvd backups on discs and from external?
Yes
2. I just finished going through the letterbomb tut and now checking out the modmii sticky. When installing hbc, both options for hbc and bootmii said "can be installed". Am I supposed to install bootmii2 just like that? Or is it supposed to be installed as an IOS?
Both, you have a Wii that has all the best options.

3. I have looked for the definition of bootmii but it was more about how to use it instead of what it's for and why you need it?
Basicly, it allows FUll control over your Wii. 100% brick proof if you have made a backup of your NAND.
4. Regarding GC/Wii backups, is it the same as burning PS2 iso's on dvd's?
i.e
-dvd decrypter
-find iso/img
-burn at 4x speed
-pop in and play?
No, Look in the NEOGAMMA r9 stickie.
5. Neogamma is the best gc loader for discs? usb loader gx for usb? Or does neogamma take the cake for both?
Neogamma can easily replace the official Wii disc channel. It's mainly for Disc backups. ( though can handle usb loading from a .wbfs partition.
It's essential for loading gamecube backups. CFG loader is seen as the best loader and gets the fastest updates. usb loader-gx has the nicest gui imho. is'nt updated as often.
6. Once I've installed hbc, and other programs I get from moddmii later, do I have to keep all of the files on the sd card every time I want to run them?
Softmodding/ hacking only happens once. After the acctual only the apps you want to run on youe wii are needen on your SD card or HDD.

7. I've noticed some wii games are dual layered so they can't be burned or put on fat32. Is this where scrubbing comes in?
No, scrubbing has nothing to do with this. Scrubbing happens automaticly when transferring an mage to your hdd with Wii backup manager or when ripping a game with your usb loader from your Wii ( yes it can! ) it is a way of removing unneeded garbage data.

In order to store large backup on fat the files are plit into parts. Don't worry the loader and backupmanagers do it for you!
b) are there backup loaders that read ntfs in the case that I would have to put games on ntfs since there would be no other way?
Yes most loader can use ntfs. but be warned: ripping o hdd with the usb loader is less stable.
You won't be able to use the drive for running homebrew from your HDD ( usb loades, emulators ) so those will have to come from your sd card.

The best option is to set your drive up with FAT 32.

Again use modmii and just follow it. You ca't break anything! Have fun!

( please bare with the typos, I'm in a hurry! )

Augusta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PsyBlade said:
2. do both
boot2 is more secure in restoring
iso is nice to have if boot2 eg was removed by an update

Ok so i'll install bootmii. if I install it as an ios does it save to the sd card? if i install it twice won't it overwrite?

PsyBlade said:
6. you only need to keep the programs you want to run
iirc modmii has a cleanup function

So even if i installed lets say snesgx for example, i would still have to keep it to run it even though it's installed?
or this the kind of thing where these apps aren't installed at all? just run? hence why you need to to save the same file in order to run it?

QUOTE(PsyBlade @ Aug 28 2011, 08:06 AM)
7. you can burn dual layer
you can put DL on fat32
scrubbing only makes isos compress better
there are loaders thad can use ntfs (eg cfg)
So I'm guessing DL is divided in size then. cool thanks

@Heilkenator
So bootmii is basically backing up restoring nand if need be? Or do I need another program to dump my nand

Thanks for clearing things up

Oh and one more thing, I have a FAT32 with ps2 isos and other roms as well, do I need to make a new fat32 partition strictly for wii or can I throw it all together?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:

I know it doesn't matter in this case (the Wii is obviously old enough to play backup discs if it is boot2 capable), but just for future reference, it's D3-2 and D4 drive chips that can't read backup discs or DVD's.

BloodWolfJW

Marotheit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
Modmii DOES support letterbomb, just as well as going to the Hackmii website.

Wiiflow is NOT for dumping games.

You can download LetterBomb from ModMii? i didn't know that
blink.gif
and He just asked if he could dump to a hardrive, and WiiFlow can do that, I never said it was for dumping haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: it's called a Gordon Ramsey special +1