The King of the Cosmos
OP
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have taken 3d pictures before i had the 3ds and wanted to see if i could view them in the camera app. It was VERY simple. Below is a VERY simple tutorial on how to do it.

1.)Download Stereo Photo Maker from http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

2.)Obtain some stereo pair images.
a.)There are quite a few available here http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/3d/stereo/3dgallery.htm
b.)Use the "leaning method" with a normal camera/cellphone. Lean a bit to your left and snap a pic , then a lean a bit to the right and snap a second picture.

3.)Open Stereo Photo Maker and load your stereo pairs. If the left and right images are together in 1 jpg then click File>open stereo image. If the left and right images are 2 separate jpg files then click File>open left/right images.

4.)Align your images. There are a few options for this , but the simples is to click the "auto" button in the toolbar. It will auto align the images for you.

5.)Resize to 640x480. Click Edit>resize. then resize to x=640 y=480

6.)Save your work. If you look at your SD card on your PC you will find the following directory tree DCIM>100NIN03 You will see a bunch of files named like HNI_0004.JPG and HNI_0004.MPO where the number will be up to the last picture you took. Lets say 0004 was the last you took. Go to to File>save left/right images and save it as HNI_0005.JPG this will be your "preview pic". Then go File>save MPO file and save it as HNI_0005.MPO.

7.)Put both the HNI_0005.JPG and HNI_0005.MPO into the DCIM

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a whole bunch of 3D pictures I've taken with the "leaning method" as you call it.
I tried making an MPO from one of them with stereo photo maker but I didn't do the auto alignment thing so I'm not sure how well it will work.

I don't have a 3DS to test it on until Thursday

Could you have a look and see if it turned out alright?

Edit: looks like I got the left and right images mixed up this first time. Please ignore this file and try my seonc one down in post #9.

Attachments

• spiritofcat_test_image.zip
    87.1 KB · Views: 364

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
OP
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
ok I fixed it, not sure how to attach a file to the post though. But for those having the same problem with their stereo pairs you simple need to click the swap left/right button on the tool bar.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
morphius said:

3DS' native resolution is 400x240 per eye, so I guess you could save some space by downscaling pictures even more.

Also, cameras usually do not take pictures with widescreen aspect (16:10), so maybe some cropping should be applied to fill 3DS' top screen completely ?

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
OP
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
morphius said:

3DS' native resolution is 400x240 per eye, so I guess you could save some space by downscaling pictures even more.

Also, cameras usually do not take pictures with widescreen aspect (16:10), so maybe some cropping should be applied to fill 3DS' top screen completely ?

The MPO's saved by the 3ds are saved in 640x480

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
OP
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
You got me? If i could figure out how to upload images/files (is it because of my user status?) I would show you the raw files from my 3ds. The "preview" or flat mode is 640x480 and the MPO is comprised of 2 640x480 images. though i CAN tell you there is some cropping that occurs in the files that are captured vs the what is seen on the screen.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
morphius said:
As it is you seem to have the left and right images mixed up as the efect is negatived. Give me a few and I'll fix it
Ah yes, it gets a bit confusing with the left and right images.
I like to view 3D pictures on the computer by the cross-eye method, but all the MPOs that I've opened have had the images set up for parallel viewing.
Sometimes I just press X in Stereo Photo Maker to switch them over, but other times I remember to tick the box that says Swap Left/Right images when loading a file.
After all that it can be a bit tricky to tell which way around I have my own photos set when saving them as an MPO file.

Edit: I've tried re-doing that same image again, this time I used the auto alignment option and made sure to get the left and right thing correct.
New version is attached at the bottom of this post. I'd love to hear if it looks any good!

morphius said:
ok I fixed it, not sure how to attach a file to the post though. But for those having the same problem with their stereo pairs you simple need to click the swap left/right button on the tool bar.
To attach a file to your post you need to be using the full reply editor, not the Fast Reply option.
There are three sections of the full reply editor.
Post - Where you write, insert smileys, BB code, etc.
Attachment Editor - Where you attach files. Max. single upload size: 200K
Options - Where you can enable or disable emoticons and signature and choose an icon for your post.

pachura said:
QUOTE(morphius @ Mar 28 2011, 06:58 AM)

Interesting fact:
When taking photos with the AR games you get 400x240, but when taking photos with the actual photo program you get 640x480.

Attachments

• spiritofcat_second_test_image.zip
    87.7 KB · Views: 266

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
OP
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have no attachment editor only post and options. Must be my user level. Anyways I was thinking about this last night. 2 640x480 images would make sense to a degree. You have to remember that the images are not stacked directly on top of each other else there would be no 3d data. One is to the left and one is to the right, causing a rectangular image aspect ratio. thats my best guess anyways

hksrb25s14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please Show me How to make the images pop out, I've been using this program on jpeg i found on the web, it has a 3d feel when i use it but without the pop outs.

I must learn the ways, I must learn it to make adult @#$%!!! mpo's.

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
morphius said:
ok seems you do NOT have to resize to 640x480, also no need to save a preview .jpg either

If you use 640 or 400, it'll load faster on the 3DS because the 3DS will have less resizing to do if any at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    👀 Where?! 👀 Where!?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, That was hell.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    When you play SM64 but you try recreating the slider song from memory during an episode.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i kinda left without giving the quote, but here it is
    iu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Our weather is crazy here in Ohio, was 90 last week, now its in the 60's, 45 at night.
    +1
    mmmAbout the same here. Under cloud cover at the moment
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You guys probably wearing winter jackets when in 60's in Cali.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard a new term today related to Cali, thought was funny, "California Sober" lol
    ROFL LMAO
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hurt ancientbois feelings
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You wouldn't remove your teeth?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But his mouth is stuck on your meat
    +2
    AN SOFA
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I had a power nap woke up with so much gas it's awesome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    holy shit why do i have 19 notifications?!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    AND WHY ARE SOME OF THEM BUNDLED UP REACTIONS TO POSTS?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Cause I maybe, maybe clicked like a few times.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You're as loved as much as Juan now enjoy it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm sorry for the insult
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the difference is i like wario and samus and he likes muscle mommies and feet
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait, i forgot wizards too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a buddy that has a moonshine still and he makes his own shine. He brought me a jar of some peach shine/brandy, shit is damn good. Gonna have to see if can get more.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    careful that shit don't make you go blind
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh that's only if you drink what first comes out when distilling, you must throw out the first part of it when it starts running.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nuh that's only if you drink what first comes out when distilling, you must throw out the first...