The Nintendo Switch sold over 900k units in March (North America)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Of course it's a flaw, and it's a pretty glaring failure point. If the joycons jam when they're put on the wrong way around, guess what? *They shouldn't slide on that way*, it's pretty obvious. It takes no effort at all to make a one-way rail *actually work one-way only*, it's a matter of adding a single peg on the end of the rail or using two different heights of the lip on each side, but Nintendo didn't even do that. If you see potential for error, as a designer it's your job to eliminate it - you always operate under the assumption that the unit will be used by the biggest dimwit in the universe, and it probably will be. There's a reason why polarised plugs are protected from being inserted the wrong way around - because plugging them in the wrong way will damage the device and no amount of markings can change that. There's a reason why PC components are on keyed cards - because there's always someone who'll try to put them in the wrong way around and it's your job to stop that from happening. This is the engineering equivalent of implementing a big red button that breaks the system and telling the user not to press it. At that point it doesn't matter whose fault it is if the button is pressed, the button shouldn't be there in the first place.
    Or y'know, they shouldn't slide in the wrong way at all, because there's no reason why a console should feature a trap for users who don't pay attention. Defending obvious design flaws is completely beyond me, this is simple stuff, I don't know why Xzi disagrees when it's a pretty general consensus. If it wasn't an issue, there wouldn't be instructional videos showing how to loosen jammed joycons with a flathead screwdriver online.

2. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, putting a trap would have been as easy and cheap as putting a port in the top of the switch.

My assumption is people like Xzi disagree heavily with these criticisms due them seeing the excessive amount of flak that the switch gets. The standard defense of these flaws is literally "get over it. It's not that bad" is not wrong, but it doesn't magically erase the downsides of the switch. They're tired of seeing the same complaints made over and over, and while I sympathize with them, either denying it or making light of it doesn't help either.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Pretty much. Complaints drive progress. If the userbase doesn't provide negative feedback, designers have no idea that there's an issue that needs addressing. This might seem to be excessive or pedantic but it's not if an issue is widespread. It'd be different if we talked about isolated cases of manufacturing faults, these are issues that spring from the base design, so we should be vocal about then while Nintendo works on the inevitable hardware revision. I was always taught to treat positive feedback as encouragement and negative feedback as an opportunity to improve, both are valuable.

4. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    They don't jam on permanently, they can be removed. They just warp the rails some. I get that it could've been designed with the lowest common denominator in mind, but then the device would be wholly less interesting overall. The controllers didn't need to be detachable.

It's not like I'd be pissed if they made a minor revision to prevent reverse-slotting in the future, but I don't see myself ever having an issue like that with my system. If you just leave it in the dock when you're done, how would one ever fuck up that badly? It's facing forward always.

Last edited by Xzi, Apr 17, 2017
  5. YoshiB

YoshiB GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    Why the game outsells the console is beyond me...

what even o_o

Good to hear that it's selling so remarkably well!

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I can give you a hint from experience - people are buying the game ahead of time because there's ample supply of cartridges and wait for units of the console to arrive in their local stores. That, combined with scalping, skews the figures. In my location the Switch is almost perpetually out of stock and when it is in stock, there's only a few units available.

7. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    This true consider that Nintendo will eventually stop reprint game after a while, game at launch will be super rare during mid and end of a console life.

Just look at Ocarina of Time on 3DS, scalpers are seling them at crazy price online because you can't find them in store anymore.

8. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    What do you mean you can't? It just got a reprint as a Nintendo Select

Foxi4 likes this.
  9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Quite right, it was re-released a while back, so it should be in ample supply.

10. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Benja81 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
  11. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    so nintendo are claiming this even outsold the wii, or is it back then the wii was deliberately kept in short supply.

so maybe having the supply is allowing more units to sell, but is this just going to be a fast horse that tires out, or will it continue to bring high sales over a long period of time, which i think was the wii was managing great sales but its supply was shorter.

but again nintendo are not combining portable and home console markets, theyre just taking switch sales and comparing to wii u.

12. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    The switchs sales are up there with the Xbox one and PS4, so I'd argue theyre pretty good.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.