The Nintendo Switch surpasses the Wii's sales records in France

Nintendo-Switch-OLED-Specs.jpg

Philippe Lavoué, Nintendo of France president, has unveiled new data regarding the performance of Nintendo's current console, the Nintendo Switch, on french territory.

Previously, the console which held the record for 10 years for the most sales in France was the Nintendo Wii, with an amount of 6.3 million units sold, followed closely behind the PlayStation 4 with 6 million units. However, due to the great sales figured of the Switch during 2022, which registered somewhere near a million units sold during the year, has brought up the Nintendo Switch to an number of almost 7.1 million units sold, breaking the previous record held by the Nintendo Wii.

Not only that, but a handful of Nintendo titles also broke sale records during 2022 in french territory as well, particularly Pokemon titles, which seemed to have a unique historical year in France in terms of sales, with games Pokemon Legends: Arceus dethroning the football simulator FIFA for the PlayStation 4 for the 1st place, and Pokemon Scarlet & Violet adding up to a total amount of three Pokemon titles found in the Top 10 games sold in France, alongside many other Nintendo first party titles like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8.

Sales of Nintendo games in France in 2022 (digital sales excluded)
  • Pokémon Purple and Scarlet: 701,000 units
  • Pokémon Arceus: 575,000 units
  • Mario Kart 8: 445,000 expected
  • Nintendo Switch Sports : 425.000 units
  • Mario Strikers: 264,000 units
  • Splatoon 3: 254,000 units
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons : 253.000 units
  • Kirby and the Forgotten World: 214,000 units

:arrow: Source

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
To be honest, for a fair comparison, Wii and DS shwould be viewed as one, since Switch is both.

(Wii + DS) vs. (SWITCH)

but switch cost like £250 or so. DS and Wii would have costed like 500 plus. parents say you have a choice of one. not both kiddo

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
To be honest, for a fair comparison, Wii and DS shwould be viewed as one, since Switch is both.

(Wii + DS) vs. (SWITCH)
that is false as hell lol

ds gameplay style and wii style are totally different from switch, switch for 99% of the games is just normal screen with regular controlls.

the ds was appealing for its dual screen games plus touch controls stuff, where almost every game used this features, while the wii was famous for its motion control's used in almost every game( in most of them very badly even :s)

The switch is just the wiiu done right, its what the wiiu should have been isntead of a tablet plus home console, they just merged them into one for there next console.

So comparing the switch to anything it would be to the wiiu not to the wii+ds.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whaaaat?? wii + Ds as one? whyy?
Is this satire? Sorry I gotta ask 'cause the internet has gotten so.. different. But he explained it, Wii + DS because the Switch is a hybrid console (home and portable).

I don't particularly agree with that since it's one home console and one handheld versus one (hybrid) console.

Only the PS2 is going to be a bigger video games console seller.
However the PS2 should not count as it was bought by many for its dvd movie playback purpose
I remember during the early 2000's DVD Players got cheaper and cheaper so that may have only been during the early years at best, while the rest the PS2 relied on being a gaming console. It was weaker than Xbox which had very impressive third party ports, but the PS2 is still amazing even with the downgraded ports and all.

A Sony official Component Cable or HD Retrovision Component Cable and a wireless controller, and the PS2 experience gets so much better!

Reactions: slaphappygamer

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Is this satire? Sorry I gotta ask 'cause the internet has gotten so.. different. But he explained it, Wii + DS because the Switch is a hybrid console (home and portable).

I don't particularly agree with that since it's one home console and one handheld versus one (hybrid) console.
u're right! i understand now what u say

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
but switch cost like £250 or so. DS and Wii would have costed like 500 plus. parents say you have a choice of one. not both kiddo
Well, to be more precise about that particular thin, the initial prices where:
(Switch = $300),
(Wii = $250), (DS = $150), (Wii + DS = $400) So it's $100 difference (Wii + DS) vs. (SWITCH).

Anyway...
Overall, that's hat is true, prices are not the same, BUT i wanna add that many people bought (including myself)
both "Switch Lite" and "Regular Switch" or some combination of those.
I think i read somewhere that Nintendo themself said that many people buy multiple systems for themself, so there's that about choices.
firefox_UJrlxGZlcY.png
And so if you take into account that goes up to $600. I mean money is clearly not an issue here.
So i can see people buying DS and Wii at the same time.
I don't have proof, but i don't see why not. I myself had both. One is portable one is home, more powerful, bigger screen.
But that's not what i had in mind, i just wanted to clear that out and to respond.

My point is more about hardware and comparison in that regard as nit fair.
As i said, Switch is both, but Wii and DS are separate, combined they are essentially a "Switch".
So viewing them (Wii + DS) as one unit, even though it's not in reality, makes sense for me, IF you compare it to the Switch, othervise its like apples and oranges.
That's basically my point why its not fair to compare Wii and Switch
Post automatically merged:

whaaaat?? wii + Ds as one? whyy?
home + portable = Switch like experience (kinda) , which is home AND portable.
Post automatically merged:

Wii + DS because the Switch is a hybrid console (home and portable).
Exactly. One is Apples other is Oranges.

Switch is both. Home and handheld, so in that sense, at that time 2007 that was the only mainstream option to experience both in that particular way. You couldn't really carry Wii in a pocked, or hook up DS to a TV, so if comparing old tech and ideas to a modern one which can do both and do it well it makes sense for comparison purposes and for comparison to be fair. Because the moment you take out your switch out that's not a home console by definition. So you compare Portable console sales to a home console sales. You can, but i was just pointing out that its not fair since fair would be equal grounds. Why? Because people who want portable console buy switch. People who want home console buy a switch.
In old days it wasn't like that, you get to choose.
There are many more nuances why its not a fair comparison, but this one stood out to me as obvious one, so i was just giving my two cents.

I'd argue the same about the games, but i wont. Similar philosophy.
Ill just say you have different versions of same game (sonic colors for example, making it two different games essentially) but sonic colors for switch is same in portable and handheld more, and you also buy it once, not twice.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
that is false as hell lol

ds gameplay style and wii style are totally different from switch, switch for 99% of the games is just normal screen with regular controlls.

the ds was appealing for its dual screen games plus touch controls stuff, where almost every game used this features, while the wii was famous for its motion control's used in almost every game( in most of them very badly even :s)

The switch is just the wiiu done right, its what the wiiu should have been isntead of a tablet plus home console, they just merged them into one for there next console.

So comparing the switch to anything it would be to the wiiu not to the wii+ds.
But without Wii U failure, perhaps Nintendo would have never invented Switch

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Well, to be more precise about that particular thin, the initial prices where:
(Switch = $300),
(Wii = $250), (DS = $150), (Wii + DS = $400) So it's $100 difference (Wii + DS) vs. (SWITCH).

DS was released in 2004.. almost two decades. inflation included that is 235.68. the Wii would be 392.80 = DS + Wii = 628.48

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only the PS2 is going to be a bigger video games console seller.
However the PS2 should not count as it was bought by many for its dvd movie playback purpose
The same can be said for all of the Xbox consoles, the PS3, PS4, PSP and the disk version of the PS5 and any console that allows you to install Netflix.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto