The Nintendo Switch has officially outsold the Wii

compare-hero.jpg

Nintendo's latest financials are live, and with the new sales figures comes another sale milestone for the juggernaut that is the Nintendo Switch. The Switch family of consoles, consisting of the standard Switch, the Lite and the OLED, has now sold 103.54 million units, reaching that number in only five years, faster than any other home console. Notably, the Switch still has some time left in its life cycle, while the Wii, Nintendo's previous best-selling home console, sold 101.63 million units in its lifetime, The Switch has now eclipsed the Wii U , which ended its life cycle with only 13.5 million sales.

While the Switch could be classified as Nintendo's best-selling home console, the hybrid console still lags behind some of the company's other handheld releases. The Game Boy and Game Boy Color sold 118.69 million units, and the Nintendo DS family of consoles sold a whopping 154.02 million units. Besides those two, the Switch is also still chasing the Sony PlayStation 4 at 116.6 million units and the PlayStation 2 at approximately 155 million.

:arrow: Source

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, mobile games are a separate entity. The Switch was always designed as a hybrid console because Nintendo is lazy and doesn't want to design nor support 2 platforms. It's portable (sort of) so it can be used on the go, and dockable (sort of) to be used as a home console. Mobile is neither of those. Yes it's portable, but not a Nintendo owned platform. You have no other option like you did with the Wii. Consequently, look at the now couple year old chart. Nintendo could not release a console in the next 5-6 years and the Switch MAY overtake the Wii and DS combined. That's an accomplishment!
20-years-of-nintendo-console-sales-1200.jpg

Reactions: Tarmfot

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid to ask how many of those consoles sold, still work. Or better yet, how many of them are able to be jailbroken. If the serial numbers are any indication, the latter seems to be dwindling fast.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, mobile games are a separate entity. The Switch was always designed as a hybrid console because Nintendo is lazy and doesn't want to design nor support 2 platforms. It's portable (sort of) so it can be used on the go, and dockable (sort of) to be used as a home console. Mobile is neither of those. Yes it's portable, but not a Nintendo owned platform. You have no other option like you did with the Wii. Consequently, look at the now couple year old chart. Nintendo could not release a console in the next 5-6 years and the Switch MAY overtake the Wii and DS combined. That's an accomplishment!View attachment 296726

Talk about mental elasticity to reach that conclusion.

Mobile games are something Nintendo do today that they didn't do back in the Wii/DS era.

It gives them money. They don't need to separate their consoles anymore to be successful.

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Talk about mental elasticity to reach that conclusion.

Mobile games are something Nintendo do today that they didn't do back in the Wii/DS era.

It gives them money. They don't need to separate their consoles anymore to be successful.
Right and mobile is a separate conversation. Nintendo also makes money on toys, apparel, micro transactions. All things that they didn't 20 years ago. You know what did exist? Consoles and handhelds. Until they sell as many Switches as the Wii and DS combined, it's not news.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Some people are suggesting we have to combine the sales of Nintendo's last dedicated home and portable consoles to make a fair comparison. Well, even if we do combine Wii U + 3DS sales, that's still only about 90 million. Nintendo is surely very pleased with Switch's sales in that context.

Reactions: KingVamp

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U felt like a beta version of the Switch sold to the masses. I had one, it was good, but you can buy a Switch instead which is way better.

I'd go for the OLED model. Love my Vita OLED so I'd do the same for Switch.
they are kinda similar but with one difference. wii u screen and tv screen can be used at same time. this is not possible on the switch. you either get tv mode or portable mode. the wii u felt more like the 3ds to me. tv being top screen and wii u screen being the bottom screen. many wii u games were designed like this where you would play on tv but the wii u screen functioned like a map or inventory screen. same as many 3ds games where top was the game screen and bottom was the map screen.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
All the switch online subscribers should be ashamed of themselves, you should never of have paid to use their "service"
I dislike NSO as much as the next person, but what am I really meant to do? I just wanna play online, in mostly third party games, and not buying it means I won't be able to play online, like, at all. A single person not buying it won't make Nintendo make it free or try to improve it. I get that NSO is shitty but I think shaming people for buying it is, as kids now say, "not based"

Reactions: techmuse

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dislike NSO as much as the next person, but what am I really meant to do? I just wanna play online, in mostly third party games, and not buying it means I won't be able to play online, like, at all. A single person not buying it won't make Nintendo make it free or try to improve it. I get that NSO is shitty but I think shaming people for buying it is, as kids now say, "not based"
Don't play online?

Reactions: |<roni&g

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, mobile games are a separate entity. The Switch was always designed as a hybrid console because Nintendo is lazy and doesn't want to design nor support 2 platforms. It's portable (sort of) so it can be used on the go, and dockable (sort of) to be used as a home console. Mobile is neither of those. Yes it's portable, but not a Nintendo owned platform. You have no other option like you did with the Wii. Consequently, look at the now couple year old chart. Nintendo could not release a console in the next 5-6 years and the Switch MAY overtake the Wii and DS combined. That's an accomplishment!View attachment 296726

That graphic really highlights how much Nintendo owe their continued existence to Gunpei Yokoi. They would have been dead at least five times over by now if the Game Boy hadn't given them the second foothold, which later became the first and now (kind of) only.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It could be a little cheaper, but online play + some SNES and NES titles is actually plenty enough content for me to justify spending $20 a year. It's their NSO N64 expansion that's a total ripoff and priced to attract only the biggest suckers.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It could be a little cheaper, but online play + some SNES and NES titles is actually plenty enough content for me to justify spending $20 a year. It's their NSO N64 expansion that's a total ripoff and priced to attract only the biggest suckers.
Nintendo's online when it comes to first party games is a joke, not like I play any of them online much anyway.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a poster here years ago who said the Switch would never surpass the Wii sales. I wish I would have bookmarked that comment because that's how petty I can be.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1