The Nintendo Switch has officially outsold the Wii

compare-hero.jpg

Nintendo's latest financials are live, and with the new sales figures comes another sale milestone for the juggernaut that is the Nintendo Switch. The Switch family of consoles, consisting of the standard Switch, the Lite and the OLED, has now sold 103.54 million units, reaching that number in only five years, faster than any other home console. Notably, the Switch still has some time left in its life cycle, while the Wii, Nintendo's previous best-selling home console, sold 101.63 million units in its lifetime, The Switch has now eclipsed the Wii U , which ended its life cycle with only 13.5 million sales.

While the Switch could be classified as Nintendo's best-selling home console, the hybrid console still lags behind some of the company's other handheld releases. The Game Boy and Game Boy Color sold 118.69 million units, and the Nintendo DS family of consoles sold a whopping 154.02 million units. Besides those two, the Switch is also still chasing the Sony PlayStation 4 at 116.6 million units and the PlayStation 2 at approximately 155 million.

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is a silly idea of mine, but I think since Nintendo lost its individual home and portable console sales for this to happen - you really need to cut the number in half to directly compare to older systems

If you combined the Wii and DS sales you get something like 250 million units - so Nintendo has still lost market from that time imo

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe it is a silly idea of mine, but I think since Nintendo lost its individual home and portable console sales for this to happen - you really need to cut the number in half to directly compare to older systems

If you combined the Wii and DS sales you get something like 250 million units - so Nintendo has still lost market from that time imo
Exactly. You need to compare both handheld and home consoles.

However, in reality you should probably compare profit from software sales, which is what decides how successful a console is. Not sure how far ahead/behind the Switch would be in that measure.

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Wii was far more innovative than Switch though. Wii U even more but the plebs didn't get it so it was cut back to keep the Soylent crew happy and here we are.

Also point above that they can't win in terms of sales if they lost the home console/handheld market aspect as it technically means they're half way there.

Lazy Nintendo is the worst Nintendo.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii was far more innovative than Switch though. Wii U even more but the plebs didn't get it so it was cut back to keep the Soylent crew happy and here we are.

Also point above that they can't win in terms of sales if they lost the home console/handheld market aspect as it technically means they're half way there.

Lazy Nintendo is the worst Nintendo.
The Wii U felt like a beta version of the Switch sold to the masses. I had one, it was good, but you can buy a Switch instead which is way better.

I'd go for the OLED model. Love my Vita OLED so I'd do the same for Switch.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
That's awesome, well deserved actually, just like the Wii. Just look at how much copying has been going on, or a more hidden term "inspiration" haha. I got an OLED Switch recently for a related reason, this system is legendary and will probably be difficult to collect in the far future, and would be highly sought after for its portability and sick library.

Side note is, I hope Nintendo takes care of NSO and its overlay for the emulator, like seriously? On an OLED screen? Their culture must be to make mistakes themselves and learn from it, so I guess until we see fans complaining about burn-in, it's a fairy tale for Nintendo haha. Hope a few people take the fall soon so my system is safe lmao. :rofl2:

Reactions: soleeo863

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome, well deserved actually, just like the Wii. Just look at how much copying has been going on, or a more hidden term "inspiration" haha. I got an OLED Switch recently for a related reason, this system is legendary and will probably be difficult to collect in the far future, and would be highly sought after for its portability and sick library.

Side note is, I hope Nintendo takes care of NSO and its overlay for the emulator, like seriously? On an OLED screen? Their culture must be to make mistakes themselves and learn from it, so I guess until we see fans complaining about burn-in, it's a fairy tale for Nintendo haha. Hope a few people take the fall soon so my system is safe lmao. :rofl2:
Collect games? Switch games require updates (and some are digital-only because they didn't want to pay for bigger carts) unlike previous gens worked as you'd pop them in.

oOvS0ZH.jpg

Guessing 1x game's in the cart, 2x digital.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
At this point I'm expecting a 4th model that'll be very low budget, similar to the Wii Top Loader, PS3 Top Loader, and PSP Street.
i mean the switch lite already sells very low at 199 euros here in europe and many times they get promotions and get sold at alike 165. dont know how much lower they can go lol you want a 99 euro switch? not sure if its possible with chip shortage and all...

Reactions: Ahmir and Maq47

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definitely see the Switch rising up in sales, but that would take a dedicated software support for at least a few years from both Nintendo and 3rd party companies, which is getting harder already specially for the latter.
Now, If they ever announce about the Switch successor this year (or in 2023), release it with a system seller game like BOTW2 or Mario Odyssey 2, and Switch backwards compatibility possibly (i hope they do it), i see that it would affect Switch sales and would get a few millions more ( maybe like up to 120 mill?) and stop, specially if they ever decide to stop the production of the Switch...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow...impressive! And I don't even have a switch yet (well...I've got lightswitches and one cisco one, but not one made by nintendo :P ). And to think I originally thought it'd barely break even with the wiiu. :P

Oh, but...erm...I know it's copy-pasted from elsewhere, but...

The Switch family of consoles, consisting of the standard Switch, the Lite and the OLED, has now sold 103.54 million units
The Switch has now outsold the Wii U by ten times, which ended its life cycle with only 13.5 million sales.
Seems like someone's failed basic math class...:unsure:

Reactions: Maq47

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
The Wii U felt like a beta version of the Switch sold to the masses. I had one, it was good, but you can buy a Switch instead which is way better.

I'd go for the OLED model. Love my Vita OLED so I'd do the same for Switch.

In a way yes and in a way no. The dual screen idea was absolutely stellar and deserved more shine/development. Could've evolved into a WiiU2 Electric Boogaloo where the gamepad was its own Switch to carry around and plug into the home console when back.

Thats out of the window now though because the regressive approach worked better so we have the best worst parts of the Wii U but without the evolution. That and the Switch build quality was absolutely atrocious compared to their usual tank like design.

It really felt like a farmed out console with Nintendo badges on (which it was) as opposed to something they developed from the ground up. Still, it took off and people like it so enjoy but its not for me. Switch 2 might change my mind if its BC as at least that way you can play the original titles without the limitations and hopefully they throw some innovation in.

Wii U... Vita... Dreamcast.. all before their time and underappreciated by the great unwashed who couldn't recognize greatness when they see it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a way yes and in a way no. The dual screen idea was absolutely stellar and deserved more shine/development. Could've evolved into a WiiU2 Electric Boogaloo where the gamepad was its own Switch to carry around and plug into the home console when back.

Thats out of the window now though because the regressive approach worked better so we have the best worst parts of the Wii U but without the evolution. That and the Switch build quality was absolutely atrocious compared to their usual tank like design.

It really felt like a farmed out console with Nintendo badges on (which it was) as opposed to something they developed from the ground up. Still, it took off and people like it so enjoy but its not for me. Switch 2 might change my mind if its BC as at least that way you can play the original titles without the limitations and hopefully they throw some innovation in.

Wii U... Vita... Dreamcast.. all before their time and underappreciated by the great unwashed who couldn't recognize greatness when they see it.
Wii Classic Controller had analog triggers and beginning with Wii U they downgraded them to digital triggers. Nintendo does some stuff right, and some wrong.

Speaking of controllers, the layout of the Wii U GamePad/Pro Controller was rather odd although it was perfect for fps games (not that many, tbh).

Steam Deck seems to have borrowed Nintendo's two top analog sticks idea and hopefully improve it.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
The burgeoning handheld PC market is definitely of interest because its coming along nicely whilst still being a bit expensive at the moment. Couple of years time and it will be affordable with tested tech that will emulate upto Switch with ease.

Even the current stuff is quite impressive considering what was on the market a couple of years ago but quite pricey for shiny.

N switched the analog triggers out as they got sued but won and then decided not to bother again:

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-facing-controller-ban-over-patent-lawsuit-5027701

Wasn't the Switch supposed to have analog triggers and secondary rolling shoulder buttons as well but that got canned. Would've been interesting but like I said they dumbed down to double up their dollars.

Us snooty faux-intellectual gamers are a bit more discerning than the average nerd.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

dimenfer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Dreamcast was a joke like PSVita but Wii U yes, it has potential.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...