The Nintendo Switch 2 has been delayed to 2025, according to reports

switch-2.jpg

The Nintendo Switch has had a dominant life as a hybrid console-handheld, enjoying success since its launch in 2017. However, late last year heard some rumblings that Nintendo was preparing to move onward to a successor to the Nintendo Switch. According to Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and other insider sources, development kits for a "Switch 2" had already been sent out to third-party devs, and rumors were claiming that the system would launch sometime in 2024.

Now, things have changed. While Nintendo was planning to launch the Switch 2 around late 2024, those same insider sources claim that due to some internal delays, the next-gen Nintendo console is targeting a Q1 2025 launch--similar to the original Switch, which launched in March 2017. VGC's sources state that the Switch 2 still plans on being a hybrid system, offering portable functionality, while Eurogamer corroborates VGC's statements, while additionally adding that the reasoning is so that the Switch 2 features as many launch titles as possible.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's fine, I still have lots of things to do with my Switch, I still wish for a reveal soon tho...
I bet they'll announce on October/December and then pre-orders will go up.

Unless Nintendo has a new Switch game planned for those months?

I'm really looking forward to Mario Thousand Year Door I sure hope they don't stupidly make that a limited print. 😬

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I bet they'll announce on October/December and then pre-orders will go up.

Unless Nintendo has a new Switch game planned for those months?

I'm really looking forward to Mario Thousand Year Door I sure hope they don't stupidly make that a limited print. 😬
It would be hella funny seeing everyone caving in if they announce something in March.

• Haha
Reactions: ScaryHobbit

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if they add gamecube or dreamcast online it will be a cloud thing unless their going to want a person to have a nice sd card for storage for that.
Yeah, and they'd probably want to keep the opportunity to HD any of them and sell full price. Though a gig or two for each game probably wouldn't be too much, especially with tbe slow drip they give. But wishful thinking on my part.

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very good point, and that's why Nintendo sure ain't in any rush to release a new console, because they're backed to a corner :
- No backwards compatibility = they need to keep releasing new games and they can't possibly do that. And they're running out of games to remake/remaster.
- Backwards compatibility = can't get to re-re-release games to sustain the new console and keep making profit out of old games.

A new Nintendo console is bound to fail one way or the other, and is probably gonna be the last Nintendo console. Mark my words.

the "reports" you mention are just unconfirmed rumours. And about a bigger line-up of games : don't make me laugh. It's gonna be Mario Odyssey Deluxe and Tears of the Kingdom Deluxe. For the Switch launch all the big games were Wii U games.
Funny that your only point about a Switch 2 not having backwards compatibility is that "there's no more old Wii U gamez. They need old games to sell Switch 2!"

...You completely forgot about the OTHER Nintendo system of that generation that also had it's eShop shut down.
A system that already has a game being ported to Switch...

1708408758032.jpeg

I think Nintendo will have more than enough old shit to sell on Switch 2 to afford backwards compatibility.

• Haha
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Funny that your only point about a Switch 2 not having backwards compatibility is that "there's no more old Wii U gamez. They need old games to sell Switch 2!"

...You completely forgot about the OTHER Nintendo system of that generation that also had it's eShop shut down.
A system that already has a game being ported to Switch...

View attachment 421219

I think Nintendo will have more than enough old shit to sell on Switch 2 to afford backwards compatibility.
Yeah you're right, but given the DS/3DS gimmicks these games probably require (slightly) more effort to port I guess... :P but we'll see !

Last edited by Ligeia,

SilverLobster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was really hoping it wouldn't be another hybrid console. I realize I'm in the minority but the Switch has not interested me at all. The couple Switch games I wanted to play were better on my PC than they can even be on the Switch. I was hoping for a traditional home console.
Me too, the only thing about the Switch 2 that has excited me was the rumor that it'll be pretty powerful and be able to use Nvidia's DLSS tech, and also raytracing support through some kind of magic

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oops. Oh yeah they screwed those customers alright.

Nintendo can't say they don't want piracy and at the same time not offer an online service where its customers can download the games from.

By the way, physical Switch games tend to be incomplete so it needs to be connected to the internet to get the whole package. :/
Nintendo has always been dicks, they hate their loyal fanbase and they don't want piracy, even though they're profiting off an online service so you can play ROMs on an emulator. I suspect most of them are pirated from the ROM sites that they raided, hmmmm.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Mostly because no third-party dev wants to bother porting to a system with only 4GB of RAM. Nintendo themselves could probably make due with 512MB.
New Super Mario Bros. U on the Wii U uses the entire 1 GB RAM that the Wii U has. (Yes, the Wii U only has 1 GB RAM, and yes, a game as simple as New Super Mario Bros. U uses a whole 1 GB RAM. The Switch port uses even more RAM since it has higher quality textures.)
Saying Nintendo can make due with 512 MB in the modern era is simply false.

Tomtani1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People complaining about new hardware should go back and play with the nes

Clearly innovation and better graphics is stupid
Back in the mid 80s I was a Commodore 64 gamer. When the NES came out I was blown away by the graphics. The NES was a powerhouse gaming system just like the PS5 nowaday.
Post automatically merged:

I was 8 years old when the NES was released. When I was a nipper the Atari 2600 was THE gaming platform :rofl2:
It is sad to think that the Atari 2600 was the best home gaming console at that time. The Atari 2600 really sucked until the Intellivision and Commodore 64 came out after that. I had the Intellivision then Commodore 64 then NES.

Last edited by Tomtani1,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hmm... https://www.ign.com/articles/ninten...ayed-to-march-2025-in-part-to-combat-scalping

Apparently Nintendo seems very confident with this new "console".
is march late enough in the year not to interfere with christmas sales? and if so, wouldn't christmas sales bring in a lot more money with a brand new console? a possible production bottleneck could indeed be a plausible argument with the options available. i can't explain the march 25 timing any other way. i can live with the date very well, but i'm damn curious! :)

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
is march late enough in the year not to interfere with christmas sales? and if so, wouldn't christmas sales bring in a lot more money with a brand new console? a possible production bottleneck could indeed be a plausible argument with the options available. i can't explain the march 25 timing any other way. i can live with the date very well, but i'm damn curious! :)
Maybe Nintendo is thinking: "If they loved the Switch, they'll love the Switdh 2 even more. Make millions!" (whip slash) (whip slash).

It seems they're confident they're gonna sell whatever number of consoles they want at whenever time they want.

Only time will tell. Might as well be a strategy to make presales during Christmas by announcing the new console in mid September late November.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Nintendo is thinking: "If they loved the Switch, they'll love the Switdh 2 even more. Make millions!" (whip slash) (whip slash).

It seems they're confident they're gonna sell whatever number of consoles they want at whenever time they want.

Only time will tell. Might as well be a strategy to make presales during Christmas by announcing the new console in mid September late November.
If Switch 2 isn’t sold well so Nintendo can cut some numbers of production and if sales start to improve so they increase the production.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played