Nintendo Switch successor reportedly demoed to developers during Gamescom

nintendo-switch.jpg

Yet another Nintendo Switch 2 rumour is circulating. After reports of a 2024 launch and dev kits being sent to third-parties, Eurogamer has shared that Nintendo apparently showcased the handheld's successor to developers during Gamescom; during which the company demoed a "souped up version" The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. However, this was for the purpose of a tech demo, without any confirmation that the game will be re-released.

This report was corroborated by Video Games Chronicle (VGC)'s own sources. VGC's own report further mentions that another title was demoed on the system: Epic’s The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo which was used to showcase the PS5's and Xbox Series X's power in 2021.

VGC reports that the demo apparently leverages Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals "comparable to Sony‘s and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles". However, the outlet also mentions that this does not mean that the Switch's successor will be as powerful as the PS5 or Xbox Series X; but Nintendo has hinted at the potential that it will utilise upscaling technology with its past patents.

Thanks to @Vine-gar for the tip and you can head to their original discussion thread here.

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
and make less money? I hope so, but I won't be surprised it is the same joy con you love so much, it's part of Nintendo's recurring income strategy
Joy Con drift loses Nintendo money, at least here in EU. They've been repairing drift issues free of charge, without even requiring proof of purchase, for quite some time. I've already sent in 4 Joy Cons, from Switch consoles that are long time past it's warranty, and they were all repaired free of charge. So I don't think the drift is a good profit maximization strategy.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joy Con drift loses Nintendo money, at least here in EU. They've been repairing drift issues free of charge, without even requiring proof of purchase, for quite some time. I've already sent in 4 Joy Cons, from Switch consoles that are long time past it's warranty, and they were all repaired free of charge. So I don't think the drift is a good profit maximization strategy.
Well maybe a new one for EU then, no such luck for the rest of us.

Sonic3320

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
highly doubt it, I think these rumors get too much out of touch. I do think Nintendo can fix this issue but not putting hall effect sensors, just going back to the previous potentiometer instead of the carbon sheet the current joycon has, which is slightly better. I think Nintendo didnt put hall effect just because magnets can interfere with the NFC reader that they love so much.
People complain about all other console having drift as well but I dont know how they get there, the only controllers I had drift issues were because I abused too much in the ratatouille minigame on the PS2 with my sister and with Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U blocking all the time (you have to flick on the enemy direction at the right time to block, it is no surprise that Bayo 3 kinda nerfed this because it has a block button with Viola and with Bayonetta there are no incentives to do this constantly compared to 2)

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
VR zelda is the global economic productivity killer, and will lead to a global recession.
but I still need it.

I'm tired of waiting for the breath of the wild vr mod.

Oliver-Hoschi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
May i missed something? Who said that nintendo will ever bring a switch 2? Why is everyone thinking that it will be a portable console again? That would be unusual for nintendo to release only a performance upgrade. Nintendo is not sony or ms. Sony and ms only can do performance upgrades, nothing more. If nintendo brings a switch 2 im done with nintendo. Hate the switch so much.

• Haha
Reactions: ganons

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Who said that nintendo will ever bring a switch 2? Why is everyone thinking that it will be a portable console again?
Switch is very nearly Nintendo's best selling console of all time, so it's a safe bet. Especially given they're already demoing it.

That would be unusual for nintendo to release only a performance upgrade.
In years past, sure. Now they're all alone in the portable console space, so there's no incentive for them to move away from it.

Hood-Boy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I hope they'll just go with Switch2 as a upgrade Version of the switch and with proper backwards compatibility! Hopes dies last.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they already did a wiiU :creep:
SwitchU why have not not think of that!!

It's like Apple used to have a iPhoneS so SwitchU then Switch2 that Switch2U etc etc and I suppose we are all old by the time Switch2U comes and for sure Switch2U will have that PS5 visual quality and runs everything at 60fps

SunsetFelid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sunsetfelid.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States

Yet another Nintendo Switch 2 rumour is circulating. After reports of a 2024 launch and dev kits being sent to third-parties, Eurogamer has shared that Nintendo apparently showcased the handheld's successor to developers during Gamescom; during which the company demoed a "souped up version" The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. However, this was for the purpose of a tech demo, without any confirmation that the game will be re-released.

This report was corroborated by Video Games Chronicle (VGC)'s own sources. VGC's own report further mentions that another title was demoed on the system: Epic’s The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo which was used to showcase the PS5's and Xbox Series X's power in 2021.

VGC reports that the demo apparently leverages Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals "comparable to Sony‘s and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles". However, the outlet also mentions that this does not mean that the Switch's successor will be as powerful as the PS5 or Xbox Series X; but Nintendo has hinted at the potential that it will utilise upscaling technology with its past patents.

Thanks to @Vine-gar for the tip and you can head to their original discussion thread here.

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

I'm not ready QmQ I don't want to have to buy another console to enjoy new Nintendo titles yet

breadone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It only needs to run the games at 1080p resolution with Nvidia latest Lovelace architecture. Even if it's running at 30fps, DLSS3 will double it to 60fps.

DLSS FG from 30 to 60 fps is horrible, it's intended to be used with a baseline of ~60fps to interpolate for high refresh rate gaming, theres zero chance the switch will have >60hz, thatll kill battery life
Post automatically merged:

Call it next gen when you're cheating using AI upscaling. Might as well let AI do your homework too.

bad take imo, to 99% of people, the difference between upscaled and native is negligible at worst, usually indistinguishable. people who only accept native performance will get left behind quickly

Reactions: SunsetFelid

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DLSS FG from 30 to 60 fps is horrible, it's intended to be used with a baseline of ~60fps to interpolate for high refresh rate gaming, theres zero chance the switch will have >60hz, thatll kill battery life
Post automatically merged:

bad take imo, to 99% of people, the difference between upscaled and native is negligible at worst, usually indistinguishable. people who only accept native performance will get left behind quickly
People who only accept native performance will not buy console and will be always be at the front of the curve if they have the money. :)

DLSS on PC is kind of mixed. Some does wonders and some don't but you do need to have the correct GPU ( not too high end ) to be able to tell.

On Switch2 I expect it to be a world of difference if we are fortunate enough to be able to adjust DLSS setting. ( fat hope )

Happy people will continue to be happy no matter how Switch 2 turns up and those unhappy people will always be unhappy after some time no matter what Nintendo put in Switch2. Their happiness has a short expiry date so Nintendo would be foolish to be trying to please them. They will always want state of the art and will keep saying how their other HW can do better here.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are talking about PC, with a console - Nintendo and 3rd parties can optimize for it. That's the beauty of having one single hardware to work with. On PC - you have a thousand of configurations to test, never mind optimizing, just getting it to run without bugs is good enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto