Leak claims a PlayStation 5 Pro will launch later this year

Sony-PS5-Pro-PlayStation-5-Pro.jpg

A YouTuber has leaked some insider paperwork that reveals what future plans Sony has in store for the next PlayStation hardware. The channel Moore's Law Is Dead showcased what are purportedly internal documents directly from PlayStation's developer portal, stating that a PlayStation 5 Pro is allegedly in the works.

According to these papers, Sony aims to have a PS5 Pro--codenamed Trinity--out for the 2024 holiday season, with the system boasting major performance increases over the original PS5. Supposedly, the PlayStation 5 Pro will offer 33.5 teraflops, compared to the PlayStation 5's current 10.28 teraflops, and will utilize Sony's own in-house developed upscaling software, which will provide benefits similar to AMD's FSR or NVIDIA's DLSS, with the potential to upscale up to 8K resolution. Further features are listed below.

• Rendering 45% faster than PS5
  • 2-3x Ray-tracing (x4 in some cases)
  • 33.5 Teraflops
  • PSSR (PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution Upscaling) upscaling/antialiasing solution
  • Support for resolutions up to 8K is planned for future SDK version
  • Custom machine learning architecture
  • AI Accelerator, supporting 300 TOPS of 8 bit computation / 67 TFLOPS of 16-bit floating point

While Moore's Law Is Dead has a hit and miss track record when it comes to leaking accurate information, another reputable outlet for leaks named Insider-Gaming claimed that the information within the video was true, and that Trinity devkits had been sent out to developers as early as September 2023, reiterating the claims of a holiday 2024 launch window for the console.

:arrow: Source: Insider-Gaming
:arrow: Source: Moore's Law is Dead

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll advise like many others probably not to buy this pro version. Think about your wallet over specs people. You aren't going to notice a huge difference it's just numbers to brag about.

I certainly noticed when I went from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro. I'll just sell my current PS5 to fund most of the Pro if/when it's available.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I certainly noticed when I went from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro. I'll just sell my current PS5 to fund most of the Pro if/when it's available.
1080p was just starting to become standard for gaming around original ps4 time. The ps4 pro upped it to 4k support. Hell do we want out of a ps5 pro 12K gaming res, 64gb of ram 4tb m.2 ability to boot in a lightening bolt of a second. Not going to happen the actual time rate your eyes will see will probably just be a few seconds. Definitely not worth spending another $600 if you already have a ps5 that works fine.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1080p was just starting to become standard for gaming around original ps4 time. The ps4 pro upped it to 4k support. Hell do we want out of a ps5 pro 12K gaming res, 64gb of ram 4tb m.2 ability to boot in a lightening bolt of a second. Not going to happen the actual time rate your eyes will see will probably just be a few seconds. Definitely not worth spending another $600 if you already have a ps5 that works fine.

Don't be ridiculous,. People that are interested are interested in things like the improved ray tracing and PSSR. The PSSR alone is significant enough for me as long as it works well, as FSR and DLSS can both provide fantastic results. $600 is still less than what I could build a complete comparable PC for. Now if they also add Dolby Vision support for HDR Blu-rays, it would be even more worth it to me.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just 33.5TFLOPS? That's pretty pathetic considering you can get that by having a mid-range PC...
I wouldn't exactly say that an RTX 3090 or better is "mid-range." 33TFLOPS will get you a locked 60 FPS at 4K, at least, which is probably the baseline Sony was looking to reach. Won't surprise me if MSRP is even higher than base PS5, though.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't be ridiculous,. People that are interested are interested in things like the improved ray tracing and PSSR. The PSSR alone is significant enough for me as long as it works well, as FSR and DLSS can both provide fantastic results. $600 is still less than what I could build a complete comparable PC for.
I'd take that cash and use it towards a better graphics card personally for a pc if were just caring about specs here. If you want to spend extra on a ps5 pro that's your call, the differences is just going to be minimum to the average person that plays on gaming consoles.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd take that cash and use it towards a better graphics card personally for a pc if were just caring about specs here. If you want to spend extra on a ps5 pro that's your call, the differences is just going to be minimum to the average person that plays on gaming consoles.

Not everyone can simply upgrade their GPU because they'd also need a new motherboard, cpu, psu, and ram to go with it. $600 is also still $600 regardless of where it's spent. And didn't I already clarify that I wasn't talking specs and mentioned specific features? I believe it will be a larger improvement that you feel it will.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone can simply upgrade their GPU because they'd also need a new motherboard, cpu, psu, and ram to go with it. $600 is also still $600 regardless of where it's spent. And didn't I already clarify that I wasn't talking specs?
$600 can get you started with a decent midrange to low gaming pc that supports even 4090s if you wanted to go that high in the future. As I said if you already have a normal ps5 I'd personally stick with it. If you're fixed on getting a ps5 pro then do it. The average gamer isn't going to care about power they just want to play which they'll end up spending an extra $200 on when they could've saved that money for a slim which are dropping around $400 currently. Otherwise this conversation is going to go back and forth with each other. Imo if you can manage $600 for a ps5 you can save up another $600 for a mid pc and upgrade in the future. Which is how I started. My pc specs aren't going to blow anyone away but it can do 4k gaming fine and spending extra even with my 3060 seems silly to me because I don't need all the extra bells and whistles that just gives a slight performance boost.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i hope they dont put an 8k logo on the box again

iirc isnt there a law against false productinformations? europe definetly had one at some point

this topic should be more discussed but yeah i know 8k adaptation is none to nothing since it only makes sense with 85+ inch tvs

Last edited by rantex92,
Reactions: CoolMe

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll advise like many others probably not to buy this pro version. Think about your wallet over specs people. You aren't going to notice a huge difference it's just numbers to brag about.
Come on, even Nintendo is bringing out an upgraded Switch because they finally acknowledged people want better specs. If you aren't interested in the latest tech then that's fine, but it's weird to advise other people not to be.

Also, not everyone needs to think about their wallet either, just saying.

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, the PS5 just don't seem that old, but I guess Sony wants to keep it's momentum going by releasing newer hardware to stay relevant

Reactions: CoolMe

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on, even Nintendo is bringing out an upgraded Switch because they finally acknowledged people want better specs. If you aren't interested in the latest tech then that's fine, but it's weird to advise other people not to be.

Also, not everyone needs to think about their wallet either, just saying.
The switch 2 is considered next gen for Nintendo, ps5 pro is just same gen with an upgraded revision and higher specs. Big difference. You aren't reading what I'm saying clear. There won't be a huge difference between the ps5 and pro model other than numbers, we can't say for sure yet but it's just looking like a waste to upgrade if you already have a ps5.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The switch 2 is considered next gen for Nintendo, ps5 pro is just same gen with an upgraded revision and higher specs. Big difference. You aren't reading what I'm saying clear. There won't be a huge difference between the ps5 and pro model other than numbers, we can't say for sure yet but it's just looking like a waste to upgrade if you already have a ps5.
I'm reading fine, I just think you're wrong. The PS5 can't guarantee locked 4k60 in all games, so if this leak is accurate the Pro is a very welcome upgrade.

As for Switch 2, calling it next gen is stupid as it's an incremental upgrade that seems to be even smaller than PS5 to PS5 Pro. Again, all based on if the leaks/rumours are true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?