The Nintendo Switch surpasses the Wii's sales records in France

Nintendo-Switch-OLED-Specs.jpg

Philippe Lavoué, Nintendo of France president, has unveiled new data regarding the performance of Nintendo's current console, the Nintendo Switch, on french territory.

Previously, the console which held the record for 10 years for the most sales in France was the Nintendo Wii, with an amount of 6.3 million units sold, followed closely behind the PlayStation 4 with 6 million units. However, due to the great sales figured of the Switch during 2022, which registered somewhere near a million units sold during the year, has brought up the Nintendo Switch to an number of almost 7.1 million units sold, breaking the previous record held by the Nintendo Wii.

Not only that, but a handful of Nintendo titles also broke sale records during 2022 in french territory as well, particularly Pokemon titles, which seemed to have a unique historical year in France in terms of sales, with games Pokemon Legends: Arceus dethroning the football simulator FIFA for the PlayStation 4 for the 1st place, and Pokemon Scarlet & Violet adding up to a total amount of three Pokemon titles found in the Top 10 games sold in France, alongside many other Nintendo first party titles like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8.

Sales of Nintendo games in France in 2022 (digital sales excluded)
  • Pokémon Purple and Scarlet: 701,000 units
  • Pokémon Arceus: 575,000 units
  • Mario Kart 8: 445,000 expected
  • Nintendo Switch Sports : 425.000 units
  • Mario Strikers: 264,000 units
  • Splatoon 3: 254,000 units
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons : 253.000 units
  • Kirby and the Forgotten World: 214,000 units

:arrow: Source

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
is there any doubt the Nintendo Switch will become the best selling game console of all time?
there still is abit both ps2 and ds have 154+millions

switch its around 119millions now so if nintendo anounces their next system this year to be released next yea, i dont know if the switch will still sell 35+ millions tbh.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same can be said for all of the Xbox consoles, the PS3, PS4, PSP and the disk version of the PS5 and any console that allows you to install Netflix.
You could have included the Wii in there, too. :P

People would use a Netflix disc to watch Netflix and the picture quality was in standard definition. That was a different era, certainly.

They could have bought a component cable for a HD-ish experience, the official Nintendo cable only costs about $20 these days, but the masses probably don't like component because "it's too many cables!" and they'd rather take a crappy $5 HDMI adapter, if even.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could have included the Wii in there, too. :P

People would use a Netflix disc to watch Netflix and the picture quality was in standard definition. That was a different era, certainly.

They could have bought a component cable for a HD-ish experience, the official Nintendo cable only costs about $20 these days, but the masses probably don't like component because "it's too many cables!" and they'd rather take a crappy $5 HDMI adapter, if even.
I had no idea you could install Netflix on the Wii.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
DS was released in 2004.. almost two decades. inflation included that is 235.68. the Wii would be 392.80 = DS + Wii = 628.48
Well, the point is still about hardware, not the price (you brought prices up) but initial prices are what i wrote.
The stats are recorded at the time of purchase, not after 10 years, which would also make this comparison of prices not fair.
I bought my Wii for 200 euro.

But that's beside the point anyway.
The point is about the console itself. Wii is home (2006), DS is portable (2004), but regardless of release date, they are roughly launched at the same LIFE time of both consoles. They EXISTED at the same time at some point after Wii second year and for next how many... 5 years?

So as i said, Wii is home, DS is portable, combined they do what Switch does as one unit, which in my opinion only make sense to compare them in that way. (Wii + DS = portable & home) Vs. (SWITCH portable & home)

Again, i'm not gonna engage in financial conversations, because i'm not economist, but want to focus on units sold on equal terms.
and also i just wanted to share about hardware comparison and how i personally see it as being not fair like apples and oranges.

I mean actually, yeah, if you want, you can ACTUALLY compare "Switch Lite" sales to "DS" sales (units), that would be more fair! Again, from a hardware standpoint.

Of course, you don't need to agree, that's just how i see it.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
THIS!!!

...and without the video game crash, the Famicom would never have been invented... failures shaped the gaming environment that we know now.
lol No. The switch is already on its way since the gamecube. The gamecube was supposed to have Wii's motion control but it's not commercially viable at that time.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switch its around 119millions now so if nintendo anounces their next system this year to be released next yea, i dont know if the switch will still sell 35+ millions tbh.
Do you think they would put out their next system that soon when the Switch is still selling as well as it is?
I think Splatoon 3 is going to be supported for at least two years, I can't imagine them doing so until after that wraps up. I think it's got a decent chance, especially with stuff like Zelda coming out.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Do you think they would put out their next system that soon when the Switch is still selling as well as it is?
I think Splatoon 3 is going to be supported for at least two years, I can't imagine them doing so until after that wraps up. I think it's got a decent chance, especially with stuff like Zelda coming out.
rumours said that zelda will be the last AAA switch game made by nintendo for the switch so they are already thinking on the next system imo.

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I suppose that's why v1 switch are so easy to find at decent prices here. Congrats to the switch ! Awesome gaming console that proves again that hardware limitations doesn't prevent good games to happen. I had, and still have, so much good times playing on it :)

Reactions: LightBeam

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I sure hope it will outsell the PS5. Everybody is focusing on it and not the 50% stronger Nintendo Switch. France is my country, and PlayStation sucks (even though i emulate it)

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had trouble getting a switch lite when the pandemic started. It was sold out for quite a while. It’s be interesting to see how sales soared during the beginning.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To be honest, for a fair comparison, Wii and DS shwould be viewed as one, since Switch is both.

(Wii + DS) vs. (SWITCH)
Must be a joke, right ?
Here's why it's not fair to combine those 2 : You could buy a Wii and a DS for yourself, but there's really no point having 2 Switches.

Last edited by LightBeam,
Reactions: Sylx3

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rumours said that zelda will be the last AAA switch game made by nintendo for the switch so they are already thinking on the next system imo.
rumours?? there've been rumours of the switch pro for like five years and that still hasn't happened :creep:

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
DS was released in 2004.. almost two decades. inflation included that is 235.68. the Wii would be 392.80 = DS + Wii = 628.48
Idk what is your point and why are you talking about money, im talking about units sold and how i see Wii and DS as one unit, since that makes them home and portable at the same time, just like switch is home and portable, thus, the only way to fairly compare the two (or three).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto