The Nintendo Switch has officially outsold the Wii

compare-hero.jpg

Nintendo's latest financials are live, and with the new sales figures comes another sale milestone for the juggernaut that is the Nintendo Switch. The Switch family of consoles, consisting of the standard Switch, the Lite and the OLED, has now sold 103.54 million units, reaching that number in only five years, faster than any other home console. Notably, the Switch still has some time left in its life cycle, while the Wii, Nintendo's previous best-selling home console, sold 101.63 million units in its lifetime, The Switch has now eclipsed the Wii U , which ended its life cycle with only 13.5 million sales.

While the Switch could be classified as Nintendo's best-selling home console, the hybrid console still lags behind some of the company's other handheld releases. The Game Boy and Game Boy Color sold 118.69 million units, and the Nintendo DS family of consoles sold a whopping 154.02 million units. Besides those two, the Switch is also still chasing the Sony PlayStation 4 at 116.6 million units and the PlayStation 2 at approximately 155 million.

:arrow: Source

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly don't mind them hanging on to this for 4 more years. Those who are fixated on graphics and not gameplay can use other systems. For one, it's less money I'll have to spend on a new console.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
You clearly haven't heard about the video game crash, right?
In short, many many many video games of very very very poor quality popped up on 2nd gen consoles such as atari 2600
That led to the video game crash, peoples just gave up on video games, saying they were all trashes.
Which console brought back video gaming back on its feet?
You got it, the NES
I'm not arguing mate, I'm just saying the Wii's more iconic in my opinion.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the higher this number gets? the more of a letdown the next systems gonna be- as the expectations are skyrocketing

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
...Still waiting on the Steam Deck. Let's see how well it fares compared to Nintendo (even in pre-orders, considering the chip shortage).
Steam Deck ownership is definitely going to be a much more exclusive club. If it sells even a tenth as well as Switch has, it'll be considered an enormous success. Valve doesn't have casual and pre-teen audiences locked down like Nintendo does.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Steam Deck ownership is definitely going to be a much more exclusive club. If it sells even a tenth as well as Switch has, it'll be considered an enormous success. Valve doesn't have casual and pre-teen audiences locked down like Nintendo does.
honestly idk why people treat the steam deck like it's a switch killer, it's meant for hardcore pc gamers who vomit when something runs at below 60 fps
(im a part of that group tbh, im a HUGE sucker for "hardcore gaming stuff" with more bright lights than a pride-themed rave)

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
honestly idk why people treat the steam deck like it's a switch killer, it's meant for hardcore pc gamers who vomit when something runs at below 60 fps
(im a part of that group tbh, im a HUGE sucker for "hardcore gaming stuff" with more bright lights than a pride-themed rave)
It'll also be nice to be able to run games that are out of Switch's power range at all, even if that means 30 FPS. Not to mention running them at native 800p, since most Switch games have to be upscaled from 480p or 540p in handheld mode.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Canadian dollars aren't worth the same as US dollars, 80CAD is around 60USD
Yea well... that was in wii u's time
The cad was worth aboht 0.75usd
But not anymore
Now it's more around 0.80-0.82usd
So video games price should have decreased by at least 5cad here, right?
But no... they still are 80cad :(

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think their next console should come out with a "more portable" portable version from the get go, if they stick with the Switch idea. I'd be surprised if they don't.

I miss having the unique design of the DS, but ultimately, I'm glad they can focus on one platform per generation. Who knows, maybe we will still have such design, since playing the same games doesn't mean the hardware can't be different.

I can't see them waiting pass 2023, let alone 4 years from now, for their next console.

Reactions: Tarmfot

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the switch online subscribers should be ashamed of themselves, you should never of have paid to use their "service"

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe it is a silly idea of mine, but I think since Nintendo lost its individual home and portable console sales for this to happen - you really need to cut the number in half to directly compare to older systems

If you combined the Wii and DS sales you get something like 250 million units - so Nintendo has still lost market from that time imo

Don't forget Nintendo has a mobile games branch now for cellphones that didn't exist back in that era.

https://sensortower.com/blog/nintendo-revenue-one-billion

1 billion up to 2020. In comparison, the 3DS generated some 5 bi in revelue during it's lifetime (in a quick google search I made, could be wrong here tho).

Reactions: Tarmfot

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK now look at the sales of the Wii and the DS combined compared to the Switch, since there are not isolated console and handheld devices competing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch