Rainway developer shows off game streaming to the Nintendo Switch

tB6nVKT.png

Andrew Sampson, the developer behind the upcoming application "Rainway", has taken to Twitter to showcase how it works on the Nintendo Switch. Rainway is a game streaming app, that allows for a console's browser to receive connections from a host machine PC, and stream the games to the console via the internet. This is similar in function to other programs, like Moonlight, and Steam's own in-home streaming. Games shown were titles like Nier Automata, Witcher 3, and Undertale, all being smoothly streamed to the Switch.

Rainway is planned for release on November 25, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, and Android. A Nintendo Switch version is scheduled for early 2018. Though the developer has intent to release this program for the Switch, it's not confirmed, nor known if Nintendo themselves would allow something like this onto the eShop. Stay tuned to GBAtemp for further updates.

:arrow: Developer's Twitter

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does it have todo with the switch? It just a simple local stream with input. Same result will be on any other console or another pc. If this is smooth for you.. here a example of what i see.

Look at 81sec

which of them feels smooth for the eyes? And no, this has nothing todo with "uhhh bad fps". If you think its smooth, good for you.

Well, 15 fps looks super choppy
30 fps looks normal.
60 FPS looks super smooth

Reactions: DarkIrata

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"all being smoothly streamed to the Switch."

ahhh naaah.. Just by the video i can tell it is not smoothly in the current state.
Switch is basically a portable Shield TV, and streaming to that (even 4K) is very smooth. You only need high specs on the sending side. And a good modern router (5GHz).

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Xabring

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Switch is basically a portable Shield TV, and streaming to that (even 4K) is very smooth. You only need high specs on the sending side. And a good modern router (5GHz).
a Shield TV with WiiMotes® on Steroids for controllers! YES!!! hopefully Nintendo approves this, but It won't surprise me if they don't. that being said, The wait will be worth it if they do.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does it have todo with the switch? It just a simple local stream with input. Same result will be on any other console or another pc. If this is smooth for you.. here a example of what i see.

Look at 81sec

which of them feels smooth for the eyes? And no, this has nothing todo with "uhhh bad fps". If you think its smooth, good for you.

It could have been the recording camera he used, since not all cameras can keep up with media (being shown on a screen or any.) Its like recording 3ds footage with a camera, obviously if you screen record the results would be much different, and the final product hasn't even been delivered yet to so how do you know the framerate is that bad and its not just the camera equipment or its still a WIP on the Switch?

I'm also not sure why but; if he has went this far into the project to why are people speculating the final product isint going to be on the switch? He has said (well atleast articles, and there has been a Q&A on reddit about this a few months ago.) That it is coming so... Why are people jumping to the conclusion that its not coming when it is.

Last edited by petethepug,
Reactions: jt_1258

NoThisIsStupider

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now, if we can make both Joy-con work as one gamepad then we can connect it to PC and play those game on Switch :yayswitch:
You can already combine the Joycons into one gamepad on PC (I made a guide for this a month ago over on the consoles and controllers section), but Rainway would stream the inputs over wifi to the PC from the Switch, if it didn't then the controllers wouldn't work from far away. Based on his tweet in response to why he didn't use the Joycons as controllers, where he said "I don't have 3 hands", it seems for sure that the Joycons will work as input devices when this releases if they don't already.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
looks very choppy at this stage and they still havent shown it being played on the switch itself. and they only made up excuses when asked why

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I hope the lag doesn't end up so poor that streaming isn't even worth it. There have been quite a few instances where I've wished for a device to stream my PC games, but I'm very sensitive to lag. I don't know anything about the streaming process, but is it a pipe-dream to ask for at least <90ms of lag?

D

Deleted User

TF2 on Switch... Nah, Trove will be just right.
Imagine playing some MMO games on Switch. Amazing.
To that, Nintendo is not against cross platform but if they're against this then they're so dumb.
Oh well, even a cheap tablet will do much more than Swi-*better shut up before i get flamed*

Reactions: Deleted User

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People, all I can say is that if this lets me play the majority of my PC games when I'm lying in bed, glasses off, using the Switch screen and Joy-Cons, and be GPU agnostic, even if there are a few minor frame rate hiccups here and there, then yes, fuck yes.. Sign me up. And even though I think a feature like this would help sell even more systems, I'm afraid Chary is right. I don't think Nintendo will allow it, but hey, you never know, right?

needhelp3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The number of copies the game sold beg to differ.
And this isn't just me saying it since I'm a fan of the game and where it came from, but the fact that many people who criticize it never played, same goes with Minecraft.
And by playing I don't mean a 5 minute session but a full in-depth hour.
Played it, they break the barrier and make it into the human world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill