Sony Project Q handheld video leaked; shows its Android-powered OS

F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

After announcing Project Q in May, their next gaming handheld aimed at streaming PS5 games in May, Sony didn't provide much details about this system except for a glimpse at its hardware. Well, that’s the official case as unofficially, there has recently been a leaked video that provides a closer look at the device’s hardware as well as software. The news was shared by Twitter user @Zuby_Tech:

While in low resolution, we can see from the video that the device’s OS, clearly an early and unpolished version, is Android-based. We can see a familiar Android launcher/app drawer, navigation buttons as well as some Android test apps. A “QC Test” app apparently indicates that the handheld packs a Snapdragon chip.

Based on the video, it appears that the handheld - likely a prototype - is also a single unit, as opposed to having detachable controllers like the Switch. In a separate tweet, Zuby_Tech also shared some additional pictures of the device, including one with the screen module remove and exposing part of the device’s innards:

F1n-SnhXwAEGYkj.jpeg

F1n-ShPXsAANACM.jpeg F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

As these are unofficial videos, you might want to take this news with a pinch of salt but considering that the device will run on a version of Android, it suggests that it could be used for more than just streaming PS5 games. Options could range from cloud gaming to official emulators to loading unofficial emulator APKs; but its potentials will depend on its specs and we'll have to wait for the official word from Sony.

What do you think of the Project Q? Are you looking forward to this handheld?

:arrow: SOURCE

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well I am actually not entirely sure about the definition of a gaming console, I think I am leaning in the direction that a game console is a system running it's own software and games.

Do I think a streaming device could be a game console? well maybe yes.
Imagine something like if Google Stadia had bunch of exclusive titles and the service was only accessible on their own handheld device. Yes I think that would qualify as a game console.
But would it be the streaming servers that is the console, the handheld client or the combination of the two? I am not so sure. I think it would make most sense to call the servers the actual console as that is where the computation is happening.

That's why I am not sure it qualifies as a handheld video game console. However, I can say that I am certain that it's a handheld video game device (Which is a much broader term).

Look up the word console for definitions and it gets confusing.

"an electronic system that connects to a display (as a TV set) and is used to play video games"
"a panel or cabinet with dials and switches for controlling an electronic or mechanical device"
"a surface or device with controls for electronicequipment, a vehicle, etc.:"
"a piece of electronic equipment for playing computergames"
"Also called game(s) console, gaming console, video game console . a computer system specially made for playing video games by connecting it to a television or other display for video and sound."

None of these definitions specifically mentions where the computation needs to happen.
Just that it's is used to play videogames.

So are you right in that this qualifies as a handheld game console? Well maybe, I am not entirely sure.
I think we need new and more clear definitions of this.

That's the thing. The definition of console applying to PQ is kind of ambiguous and reliant on perspective.

Differences from consoles:
  1. Form factor: Streaming handhelds are designed to be compact, lightweight, and portable, allowing users to play games on the go. Traditional gaming consoles are larger and intended to be used with a TV or monitor.
  2. Connectivity: Streaming handhelds typically rely on internet connections to stream games from remote servers. Traditional consoles primarily rely on local game installations and physical media.
  3. Game distribution: Streaming handhelds often rely on cloud gaming services, where games are streamed over the internet, as opposed to traditional consoles that use physical discs or digital downloads for game distribution.
Even here, people who consider gameboy to be a console would see form factor as not being a qualifier.

The point is, that the classification of "console" is somewhat controversial, while the classification of "handheld" is not.

It's a strange hill, for someone attempting to be pedantic, to die on. Oh well. People who like to plug their ears and go "la la la" track themselves to becoming irrelevant.

BTW, PQ, being the primary device, disqualifies it from being a peripheral. @raging_chaos. It literally does nothing to enhance playing games on PS5. Though I understand what you mean, you are technically wrong. (The best kind of wrong :rofl2:)

Lol. Posted (late) on someone else's announcement about: Sony's "handheld gaming device"

Congrats, played yourself.

Last edited by tabzer,

Chris_Dai_Gyakuten_Saiban

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's the thing. The definition of console applying to PQ is kind of ambiguous and reliant on perspective.

Differences from consoles:
  1. Form factor: Streaming handhelds are designed to be compact, lightweight, and portable, allowing users to play games on the go. Traditional gaming consoles are larger and intended to be used with a TV or monitor.
  2. Connectivity: Streaming handhelds typically rely on internet connections to stream games from remote servers. Traditional consoles primarily rely on local game installations and physical media.
  3. Game distribution: Streaming handhelds often rely on cloud gaming services, where games are streamed over the internet, as opposed to traditional consoles that use physical discs or digital downloads for game distribution.
Even here, people who consider gameboy to be a console would see form factor as not being a qualifier.

The point is, that the classification of "console" is somewhat controversial, while the classification of "handheld" is not.

It's a strange hill, for someone attempting to be pedantic, to die on. Oh well. People who like to plug their ears and go "la la la" track themselves to becoming irrelevant.

BTW, PQ, being the primary device, disqualifies it from being a peripheral. @raging_chaos. It literally does nothing to enhance playing games on PS5. Though I understand what you mean, you are technically wrong. (The best kind of wrong :rofl2:)

Lol. Posted (late) on someone else's announcement about: Sony's "handheld gaming device"

Congrats, played yourself.
Why can't we just agree that this isn't a typical "handheld" and move on? It still plays games but it just streams it. Anyhow it is so dumb that there was an argument about this, also tabzer thanks for trying to clear this up and trying to be mature in this thread.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming it's not locked down. I'd rather see a full-on Lakka port than sideloading APKs though.
Not locked down? You forgot who is Sony? You want an open Android device there are plenty, even from Sony.

Wait to see how Sony describe this thing. Won't be surprise that they will fail to communicate properly and people would return it cause they were expecting an alternative to buying a Switch.

If they were to make a Vita2 would you buy?

Last edited by TomSwitch,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony can save some money by following Microsoft and sign a 10 year contract bringing a PlayStation app on Nintendo current and future consoles. Steam PS5 games on Switch and Switch2 and ...

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony can save some money by following Microsoft and sign a 10 year contract bringing a PlayStation app on Nintendo current and future consoles. Steam PS5 games on Switch and Switch2 and ...
Except they won't. Because Sony has been quicker to attempt to copy Nintendo's successes, than they've ever been towards playing nice with Nintendo. It took everyone being against Sony during the Fortnite crossplay fiasco involving PSN before Sony was even willing to let up on their draconian anti-console-crossplay rules for a SELECT FEW games. Any point where Sony was actually willing to cooperate with Nintendo, they were begrudgingly forced to do, so as not to anger rabid fans that are barely kept in line by brand name alone.

And I'm pretty sure it's been this way ever since the Nintendo Playstation fiasco.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except they won't. Because Sony has been quicker to attempt to copy Nintendo's successes, than they've ever been towards playing nice with Nintendo. It took everyone being against Sony during the Fortnite crossplay fiasco involving PSN before Sony was even willing to let up on their draconian anti-console-crossplay rules for a SELECT FEW games. Any point where Sony was actually willing to cooperate with Nintendo, they were begrudgingly forced to do, so as not to anger rabid fans that are barely kept in line by brand name alone.

And I'm pretty sure it's been this way ever since the Nintendo Playstation fiasco.
Would be an existential crisis for the PlayStation team if Sony and Nintendo patch up their differences. Sony still remembers that all they wanted is to make a CD rom peripheral for Nintendo. Perhaps Nintendo can agree to let Project-Q stream Switch 2 games.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are ya'll having a discussion on what constitutes a handheld? That's just a bit petty.

Back in the day, I used to call Game Boy, GBC, GBA, PSP, DS, etc a portable console rather than a handheld because they were essentially gaming consoles on the go.

Anyway, I hope Sony doesn't screw this up and it ends up DoA.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are ya'll having a discussion on what constitutes a handheld? That's just a bit petty.

Back in the day, I used to call Game Boy, GBC, GBA, PSP, DS, etc a portable console rather than a handheld because they were essentially gaming consoles on the go.

Anyway, I hope Sony doesn't screw this up and it ends up DoA.
They already have something that needs to add a mobile phone to do the same thing. So this is easy-peasy, impossible to screw up, as they also make mobile phone. ( not that it takes anything to be able to make mobile phone, really you only need to have some money to pay the subcontractor )

Unless you consider this product a failure. Was this DoA? Any one not aware of it's existence?
1691496628523.png

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks kind of cute. A hybrid of PlayStation mixed with Joy-Con sticks and the Xbox controller stick design.

It is funny seeing Sony announcing a controller that doesn't have aligned sticks.
Tell me "The last hope" infringe more on IP. What does this remind you of?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty