Alleged new PS5 model surfaces online with slimmer profile and removable disc drive

new ps5.jpg

After a video of its upcoming Project Q handheld was leaked, another Sony gaming hardware has apparently leaked, this time it's an alleged new PS5 model. The first images of the PlayStation 5 (CFI-2016) "Slim" model appeared on a Chinese forum and was followed up by a video showing the casing of the model.

The video was uploaded by Twitter user Better Way Electronics who said in a follow up tweet that the new model is thinner but also that the case's SKU does not have A or B (Disc/Digital), as is the case with the current PS5 model. This could mean that the alleged CFI-2016 PS5 model could feature a removeable disk drive, which could be sold separately or as a bundle with the console.

Such a PS5 model was reported to be in the works for a September 2023 release by Insider Gaming and in a recent court hearing, Microsoft said that it expects Sony to release a slimmer PS5 model this year that will cost $400 as the current PS5 Digital Edition does. So maybe these could have been referring to this allegedly leaked CFI-2016 PS5 model.

However, these news and leaks have to be taking with a measure of salt as new PS5 models have not been confirmed by Sony. But do you think Sony will release a new PS5 model this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's real, then it looks fugly as shit, imo. Sony really wanted to one up the Xbone VCR for fugliest console of all time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is supposedly a leak from one of the places that only manufactures the shells, not the internals. The design is believable enough, and there have been one or two other sources which posted pictures that line up with these as well.
That would certainly explain it, if true. :lol:
Yeah more than likely a fan project trying to capture clout, better reason not to believe anything until it's from the official mouth of the publisher.
What’s wrong with discussing a rumour if it’s plainly tagged as a rumour?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In the video it can be seen that the "line" is only on the faceplates. The thick black part in-between is still one big piece and doesn't separate in two.
It clearly does - there’s a straight line right across the base which separates the drive section. It’s purposefully concealed by the wing and not visible face-on so that the module meshes with the main body “seamlessly”. There also appears to be a curved front panel piece (the joint is less visible) which aides in the illusion, just like in a normal PS5 which features a multi-piece removable “skirt”. There are at least three pieces involved here - the main body (likely a two-piece shell), the side module with vent holes and a front panel, I’ve outlined the seams below, and added the current PS5 for comparison. It’s done well enough that you can’t see the mating surfaces clearly, that’s the point.

37414BEE-E69B-4121-8BC7-FE69F3AA00BB.jpeg

60A2627C-DC44-4F60-AE5A-2A6D5AE2A8F1.jpeg

If this were to come as a kit, it’d probably be sold as a module and one shell wing. This is assuming it is real, which we don’t know since it’s just a rumour. The design is sound and clearly detachable, likely using some kind of mezzanine-style connector, just like GameCube add-ons used to.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ps5 really is an ugly piece of shit.

Easy contender for worst looking console
PS5 looks like a huuuge WiFi router, Xbox Series like a compact desktop tower, and Xbox Series S as a music box.

Consoles used to have good to great designs, but that's more or less long gone. I still love the design of the Japanese/European SNES.

3232600-8372996390-Super.jpg

Reactions: DARKFiB3R

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s just a bit of fun and speculation, you don’t have to participate if you don’t want to.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it? Just that it looks like someone looking for attention grabbing and it's best to just wait for official word of mouth.

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
In the video it can be seen that the "line" is only on the faceplates. The thick black part in-between is still one big piece and doesn't separate in two. Also, the video shows the drive is still in the exact same location as the current model PS5 and doesn't appear to be detachable. Apart for all of that, why would there be a drive on both sides? I don't see how anyone can think this is real.

Edit: It looks like the current non disc PS5 with some modifications. If it's real it certainly doesn't split in two where the faceplates split. If anything, the bottom faceplate comes off as normal but could be replaced with a bottom "faceplate" that contains a disc drive.
There wouldn't be a drive on both sides, it's to make the design symmetrical

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It clearly does - there’s a straight line right across the base which separates the drive section. It’s purposefully concealed by the wing and not visible face-on so that the module meshes with the main body “seamlessly”. There also appears to be a curved front panel piece (the joint is less visible) which aides in the illusion, just like in a normal PS5 which features a multi-piece removable “skirt”. There are at least three pieces involved here - the main body (likely a two-piece shell), the side module with vent holes and a front panel, I’ve outlined the seams below, and added the current PS5 for comparison. It’s done well enough that you can’t see the mating surfaces clearly, that’s the point.

View attachment 387993

View attachment 387994

If this were to come as a kit, it’d probably be sold as a module and one shell wing. This is assuming it is real, which we don’t know since it’s just a rumour. The design is sound and clearly detachable, likely using some kind of mezzanine-style connector, just like GameCube add-ons used to.

I said that it looks like it splits along the bottom exactly where you showed. Nice fail at quoting what I said prior to my edit, when my edit existed a while before your reply.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I said that it looks like it splits along the bottom exactly where you showed. Nice fail at quoting what I said prior to my edit, when my edit existed a while before your reply.
Why are you being hostile? I’m pointing out something you possibly missed due to bad video quality. Is this supposed to be a rebuttal? The part I highlighted is still in your post, and remains unchanged. The “black part in the middle”, meaning the main body, definitely splits into two. In fact, it splits into three parts, if not more. I know this because I have a set of working eyeballs. Your edit doesn’t clarify anything in that regard, all you’re talking about there are the face plates. The line on the detachable plates is irrelevant and most likely decorative. Would look cool if these were light guides, but I suppose we’ll see how the system actually looks like once we see the official unveiling. In all fairness, the shell wouldn’t need to split anywhere at all if the drive is detachable since it’s completely covered by the face plate, it doesn’t have to extend all the way to the base. In fact, it’d make installation easier for the end user.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played