Rainway developer shows off game streaming to the Nintendo Switch

tB6nVKT.png

Andrew Sampson, the developer behind the upcoming application "Rainway", has taken to Twitter to showcase how it works on the Nintendo Switch. Rainway is a game streaming app, that allows for a console's browser to receive connections from a host machine PC, and stream the games to the console via the internet. This is similar in function to other programs, like Moonlight, and Steam's own in-home streaming. Games shown were titles like Nier Automata, Witcher 3, and Undertale, all being smoothly streamed to the Switch.

Rainway is planned for release on November 25, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, and Android. A Nintendo Switch version is scheduled for early 2018. Though the developer has intent to release this program for the Switch, it's not confirmed, nor known if Nintendo themselves would allow something like this onto the eShop. Stay tuned to GBAtemp for further updates.

:arrow: Developer's Twitter

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
That depends, if you're sleeping and think really hard about it then maybe in your dreams. Seriously though, I don't really think that's practical.
Even if it was, would you really want to play PC games on the 3DS?? I like the hand-held but I need my good graphics. Ya, I heard about the HD rumble boobs. That's where I got the idea.
yes I did but, its only time until someone makes a switch boob sim for the switch when its hacked lol

Reactions: FierceDeityLinkMask

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was told that the switch version of rainway was still super into the prototype stage, and the dev tweeted that it'd be fixed. Can someone post a source to the bug that the dev talked about?

upload_2017-7-2_3-26-17.png

Last edited by Psi-hate,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was told that the switch version of rainway was still super into the prototype stage, and the dev tweeted that it'd be fixed. Can someone post a source to the bug that the dev talked about?

View attachment 91921

But input lag, I tried a similar program on the Shield Tablet and it ran like garbage over WiFi. What guarantee do we have this won't have the same issue?

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But input lag, I tried a similar program on the Shield Tablet and it ran like garbage over WiFi. What guarantee do we have this won't have the same issue?

It'll still run like garbage, optimization can only do so much, you still need a good router (5 GHz) and a really fast internet connection. All games run really well on my Shield.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want this so badly for my switch but I know with my weak internet this wont run smoothly, its a shame because I never have the free time to play any pc games except in the nights if I don't get caught by my parents, the switch is very easy to hide and no wires too so I wouldn't have to worry much about being caught.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, two questions.
1) Will Rainway only allow you to play games in your steam library or does it actually let you browse your entire computer?
2) Can you play with joycons or do you need a mouse/keyboard?

D

Deleted User

So, two questions.
1) Will Rainway only allow you to play games in your steam library or does it actually let you browse your entire computer?
2) Can you play with joycons or do you need a mouse/keyboard?
1) Currently steam and steam added games. Hopefully full computer later
2) Joycon, it'd make it pointless to need KBM for switch useage.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, wow, a bit of a necrobump I guess but I haven't heard any updates on this in ages, has anything changed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte